Forums Latest Members
  1. Peppe May 29, 2014

Since I know all of you have good taste and even more experience, I would like to ask for some input on strap choice for my FOIS.

I like to save on the FOIS strap and I decided to go for a light brown leather strap. I have got a bit stuck on Hirsch Liberty in gold brown as per the picture. Love that style... I know... Not too far away from the actual FOIS strap but I love it :)A few concerns though...

- looks quite thick... will it look bulky on a FOIS?

- I have very thin wrists... 6 1/4 in (16 cm)... will the strap work?

- There is no lining... how big of an issue is that?

- Will I get the heavy 20mm strap to fit the 19mm lugs? I know often it works, but it is a sturdy strap!

- I am looking for a soft and comfortable strap; is the Liberty what I am after?? I have not been able to see it in real life.

Are there any other similar style straps you can recommend? I am open for suggestions!

Cheers!

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 30, 2014

IMO skip the Hisch and get a 19mm Horween Shell Cordovan strap, way softer and more supple and they work brilliantly on straight lug style Speedmasters.

3. amblin May 30, 2014

Far from a FOIS but similar style:
    image.jpg

Just had my old watch changed yesterday, a Hirsch mariner dark brown. It's thinner than the original FOIS strap but the overall design and grainless leather is very similar, and it's less than 1/6 the price of an original. ;)

Tritium and alam like this.
  4. Peppe May 31, 2014

Thanks for the hints. I did look briefly at cordovan as well. Just so damn expensive, but then again the watch was not really cheap so... :) I do find that some makers try to over charge a bit though, so need to find my self a good source.

I do love them on watches with a bit of patina, but the FOIS is brand new. Just wondering how it will look. I might just try to find a nice cordovan instead.

Like the Mariner as well. Is the leather soft or a bit stiff?

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 31, 2014

I got mine here: http://omegaforums.net/threads/105-002-62-on-horween-shell-cordovan.12333/

From jankoxxx and was really happy with it

6. amblin May 31, 2014

Less padding and much softer than omega's original. Even more so than many rubber/silicon straps out there and quite comfortable.

FYI at $40 the metal buckle is far from top quality but acceptable. They also called it 'salt water resistant leather' but I'd keep my fingers crossed ;)

7. Togri May 31, 2014

I bought shell cordovan from Jankoxxx as well, highly recommended!

8. Peppe May 31, 2014

Hmmm... might be a good solution then. Do you guys keep the edges "natural" / untreated or do you have them in for example black? I like a lighter brown strap so I am not sure what to go with in such case? Is the treatment only for looks or does it have a function?

9. Togri Jun 1, 2014

I don't know if it has a function protecting the leather but as the strap bends over and over the edges usually cracks a little (adding to a used and vintage look IMHO) . I have the strap in colour 8 which is a dark brown with a nuance of red/bordeaux. Black edges look good with that colour.

I will probably get a shell cordovan NATO for my SM300 in whisky to supplement my dark strap, and it is going to have natural edges. Kind of like picture below:

image.jpg

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 1, 2014

I like the black edges, I can sort of imagine it protects the side of the strap a bit from wear but I'm not sure about that, I personally didn't like the fact that the sides were lighter when they weren't painted so I went with that.

11. Peppe Jun 14, 2014

Just like some of you I decided to get a strap from jankoxxx. Colour being whiskey with stitching as per below. Tapered 19/16. All great then? Well with my luck off course not :) Just found out that he does not do that type of stitching on tapered straps! Back to zero. :)

So what do you guys think; should I go for a straight 19mm strap or find another source? Are there any back sides to a straight strap? Also... can I even find 19mm buckles??

Alternatively I change my mind on stitching design, but I am not sure about that option.

uploadfromtaptalk1402728999822.jpg
  12. Tritium Jun 14, 2014

It´s a shame he can´t do this type of stitching on tapered straps, because this one on the picture looks beautiful, and I´d probably go for it for my FOIS too.

Saved for future reference - obasac

13. Peppe Jun 14, 2014

It is. But the one on the picture I inserted I believe is a straight cut if I'm not completely wrong. This specific one was made by Toshi.

I'm considering going for straight anyway. 19mm isn't very wide. What do you think? Will it look/feel strange on an FOIS? Are there 19mm buckles to find???