Forums Latest Members
  1. BlueBird11 Nov 20, 2022

I started the design, i'm not really trying to make something fancy, just a clean buckle, titanium (6AI4V, gr5), probably with a light brushed finish. When I check buckles online, I hate zooming on it and see all the flaws in the construction and finishing, not sure but I think a majority of buckle are stamped. So my goal is to make a very clean part, crisp edges, well built.

Probably gonna play with it but thats where i am presently

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Btw i'm really open to criticism
    Thanks

Dash1 and MrFriday* like this.
  2. BlueBird11 Nov 21, 2022

Added thickness to the tongue, too thin, also added a little bit of relief on the front. Gonna be a lot of 3D machining
    [​IMG]

3. Evitzee Nov 21, 2022

A buckle should be a simple affair. Don't put too many surfaces on it. I think your first renderings are more to the point, you don't want it overly thick or bulky. Good luck and keep us posted on the project.

Dash1 and savka like this.
  4. BlueBird11 Nov 21, 2022

Yes i think you are right, I will flattened it a little bit but still keep a little bit of relief. A thing to consider is the render itself, it's look big like this but the thickness part in front is 2mm. I will do a machining test in aluminum very soon, the first operation, to have something similar to this, and see how i feel it. Thanks !

[​IMG]

5. BlueBird11 Nov 25, 2022

I finally decided to go with my initial design, with a thicker tongue
    [​IMG]

Locating my work coordinate system with the Haimer 3D-sensor. Basically telling the CNC where is the stock.
    [​IMG]

Roughing the part
    [​IMG]

Rocking the speedy when the machine is running
    [​IMG]

Rough part
    [​IMG]

And after the 3D machining with a 0.125 inch ball end mill and some chamfer, the part after the first OP (setup) look like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I did this test part in aluminum, just to test the toolpath. Next step is to make a "soft jaw", basically 2 customs made aluminum parts, machined to hold the parts the other way to finish the machining. I will also make another set of soft jaws to hold the buckle side way for drilling the small hole.

Dash1, TimeODanaos, Retsamaes and 5 others like this.
  6. morethan1 Nov 25, 2022

She thickkkkk

7. BlueBird11 Nov 25, 2022

The bottom isn't machined yet, take a look on the first picture

8. BlueBird11 Feb 6, 2023

Update

Final design:
    [​IMG]

Starting machining the prototype in titanium
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Result of the first operation
    [​IMG]

OP2
    [​IMG]

Result
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next step is to round off the back and drill holes for the sprinbar, and of course hand finishing the parts. Brushed finish, and polish here:
    [​IMG]

After I will start machining the tongue, and rings (for the nato strap).

9. Retsamaes Mar 15, 2023

It's been a while, are they any updates?

10. BlueBird11 Apr 26, 2023

Of course!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the first complete prototype, Horween latigo leather, titanium buckle and ring. Nothing is perfect but so far so good, I like it very much.
    Edit: I'm working on a video, showing the making of, machining, finishing, leatherwork (still noob at this point)

Edited Apr 26, 2023
    Dash1 and Retsamaes like this.