Forums Latest Members

Strange response to attempted Snipe Bid

1. slavedata Jun 13, 2021

I saw a watch on ebay I fancied getting as a suprise Christmas present for my wife once cleaned up and serviced. I'm in the UK and it was in the states finishing 2am UK time. So I set up a Hammersnipe bid as I have done previously for US based auctions.
    upload_2021-6-13_15-11-48.jpeg

Terms of sale
    Postage and packaging

Item location: Phillipsburg, New Jersey, United States

Postage to: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Denmark, Romania, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Finland, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Estonia, Australia, Greece, Portugal, Cyprus, Slovenia, Japan, Sweden, Korea, South, Indonesia, Taiwan, South Africa, Thailand, Belgium, France, Hong Kong, Ireland, Netherlands, Poland, Spain, Italy, Germany, Austria, Bahamas, Israel, Mexico, New Zealand, Singapore, Switzerland, Norway, Saudi Arabia, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, Croatia, Republic of, Malaysia, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Panama, Trinidad and Tobago, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Jamaica, Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Belize, Dominica, Grenada, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Saint Lucia, Montserrat, Turks and Caicos Islands, Barbados, Bangladesh, Bermuda, Brunei Darussalam, Bolivia, Egypt, French Guiana, Guernsey, Gibraltar, Guadeloupe, Iceland, Jersey, Jordan, Cambodia, Cayman Islands, Liechtenstein, Sri Lanka, Luxembourg, Monaco, Macau, Martinique, Maldives, Nicaragua, Oman, Pakistan, Paraguay, Reunion, Uruguay

Excludes: Angola, Cameroon, French Polynesia, Libya, Mongolia, Suriname, Guyana, Mauritius, Chad, Madagascar, New Caledonia, Iran, Western Sahara, Laos, Congo, Republic of the, Seychelles, Sudan, Venezuela, Somalia, Burma, Cuba, Republic of, Yemen, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Central African Republic, Niger, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Tajikistan, Anguilla, British Virgin Islands, Cape Verde Islands, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Botswana, Eritrea, Swaziland, Lesotho

And I got this email from Hammersnipe when I looked the next morning

upload_2021-6-13_15-15-35.png

Which was a real pain as it went for less than my snipe bid. I've never had this happen before. I think next time I will try putting a bid in early for a lower amount so my account is accepted when it comes to the Snipe bid. has anyone else encountered this problem?

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 13, 2021

Tbh I’m pretty wary of these services, most are a bit on the dodgy side and their access to your account is a security hazard as is people’s tendency to share passwords between eBay PayPal and these services

Mark020 likes this.
  3. Evitzee Jun 13, 2021

Sometimes you just have to do things yourself. If I wanted it bad enough I would have stayed up until 2am and do the bidding myself rather than relying on some third party to do it. I am not familiar how this type of site operates but I wouldn't give any account info to another party. The world operates 24/7, sometimes we need to do the same. When I worked in Australia, Thailand, Saudi Arabia and other places there would often be telecons back to the US home office I'd have to attend, sometimes at awkward times, that's just the way it was.

Edited Jun 13, 2021
    Wryfox likes this.
  4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 13, 2021

I’ve used Gixen.com free service for many years and I can’t remember a single bid getting rejected other than for being too low. Doesn’t matter whether inside or outside the US.

It could be that the seller decided to block all bids from outside the US regardless of the country.
    gatorcpa

Wryfox, tyrantlizardrex, Mods and 5 others like this.
  5. Boojumhunter Jun 13, 2021

Maybe a dumb question, but if your potential snipe bid was greater than the winning bid, why didn't you just put a routine bid in for your ultimate price?

6. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 13, 2021

A manual bid would have most likely triggered a higher snipe. I often aren't in a position to try to manually outdo snipes because of time constraints or physical limitations (date night or party night).
    I also use Gixen and support them however I can. I have had no issues except cowardice.

7. TDBK Jun 13, 2021

iamvr, Raymondo5508 and ConElPueblo like this.
  8. slavedata Jun 14, 2021

Thanks for all the responses guys. It would appear I have fallen foul of eBays wonderful new Anti Global shipping system. I think if I want anything like this again I will ask my brother in the States to bid for me and then ship it on back to the UK.
    Since Brexit (which I personally think is a nonsense) far from being global traders the UK becomes ever more isolated and constrained in how it can trade. Buying and selling from Europe has become difficult whereas before I shipped product from the UK all over Europe from Norway to Greece without thinking twice about sending it. As easy as a parcel within the UK.

9. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jun 14, 2021

I can’t see how it has anything to do with eBay’s GSP. The seller is clearly using it as you have included in the OP above and you state you are in the UK. Based on the info below, which you provided above, you are inside the cleared shipping zone.

Terms of sale
    Postage and packaging

Item location: Phillipsburg, New Jersey, United States

Postage to: United States, Canada, United Kingdom

It kinda sounds like an error on the third party snipe program. Or am I missing something?

10. ConElPueblo Jun 14, 2021

I've had experienced that it was impossible to bid on items for the same reason even though shipping to my country was included in the seller's terms. Nothing I could do about it.

iamvr likes this.
  11. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 14, 2021

Gixen

if I really want something from another country I put in an early low bid to make sure the bid is accepted.

bit like sending £1 before sending a large transfer.

never lost on this system, as I have had this very same problem. If my small bid gets rejected I have time to alter my shipping address as needed to comply, or contact seller direct.

12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 14, 2021

Gixen

if I really want something from another country I put ..............................

Oh heck! He ^^^ already said it!

Spacefruit likes this.
  13. sxl2004 Jun 14, 2021

Sniping Server in a restricted country?