Forums Latest Members

Strange markings on case backs

1. Professor Feb 27, 2018

Long ago I read of odd markings found scratched into the butt stocks of rifles carried by central and eastern European troops. These were simple croses or X marks with letters or numbers between the arms.
    These were apparently some sort of secret society marks of a military cult that dated back to Roman times.

Recently I obtained two vintage hard used Russian watches, one from the Urkaine the other from Bulgaria.
    the crystal of the watch from the Ukraine was badly scuffed, in polishing it out I discovered deeper scrathes in an elongated narrowed X shape like crossed spears or stacked rifles with two large wide spread W between the lower legs, one centered the other offset but the same size. I didn't give it much thought at the time but a couple of nights back I took a close look at the case back of the watch from Bulgaria and found the exact same marking done so lightly as to be invisible unless looked at under a strong light and at an angle. Besides the odd familiar marking there is lettering that may be a name. It seems to be the standard Roman Alphabet rather than in Cyrillic.. The letters are KYPT in upper case and what looks like exo in lower case, though the latter part runs together like it may be a symbol rather than part of a word.

These markings were carefully and lightly done with a very sharp stylus or needle point.

The KYPT seems vaguely Greek, perhaps something from the Greek Orthodox Church. The marking on the rifles I mentioned earlier had something to do with passages in the old Greek Bible.

Anyone ever run across such markings?

I've heard of markings being scratched on watch case backs by pawn brokers and watch repairmen and when placed in evidence as stolen property, but these watches aren't likely to have been in the same pawnshop or police property rooms.

2. ulackfocus Feb 27, 2018

I can't think without pictures. :(

Georgieboy58 likes this.
  3. kov Trüffelschwein. Feb 27, 2018

Phonetically ‘KYPT’ would read ´kurt’ if it helps - might be simply a western surname written with cyrillic letters ;)

4. Professor Feb 28, 2018

Pictures not possible. It would require a much better camera and far greater skill as a photographer than I possess to capture such faint markings.

I saved this seller's image of the Zim watch with back opened, not much help in that. The pie pan shaped back and deep center bridge are features I found odd. Must be a very old design.
    I'm very pleased with this one. s-l1600 (14).jpg It has kept perfect time since I got it and I only paid $5 USD plus $9 USD shipping. I never expected such accuracy from such an old and beat up watch.

Edited Feb 28, 2018
  5. Professor Feb 28, 2018

A possibility, though in all upper case. I never really studied the Cyrillic form of writing. I've only seen initials with only upper case lettering.

6. kov Trüffelschwein. Feb 28, 2018

I do read and write Cyrillic and can tell you that what would be considered 'Caps Lock' here is a standard 'printed' form of writing.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  7. Professor Feb 28, 2018

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
    Any ideas about the smaller lower case exo mark?

8. kov Trüffelschwein. Feb 28, 2018

If you have a possibility to make a macro shot where the mark is well visible, I can try. Thanks in advance ;)

9. Professor Feb 28, 2018

Wish I could but the markings are far too faint.

3AM here, off to bed.

PS
    Just got an idea.
    Since I can't photograph these faint markings I'll try drawing them on paper and making a scan of the drawing. Not up to the task right now but will try to post an image of the drawings this evening.

Edited Feb 28, 2018