Forums Latest Members

Strange chrono issue after service, crystal issue as well.

1. cwindham Jun 10, 2016

Obviously I was asking about a new hesalite crystal in a previous post but I just had this thing serviced for 850$. It runs like a top and is spot on but..... For some strange reason the chrono started stuttering and now it struggles to make it past the 10 second mark. It seems like a gear is slipping or something. The chrono hand stops but the seconds subdial keeps on chugging along. Also, The crystal has what looks like a scratch yesterday then I noticed polywatch won't buff it out and it started getting longer like a crack.
    I can only assume it is a cheap replacement and not an OEM crystal from omega. I would assume the hesalite crystals would be softer(per say) but this one seems like it's brittle.
    Any thoughts and/or ideas?

I know my hands are incorrect, that is getting swapped out this weekend with the originals.
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2. abrod520 Jun 10, 2016

Does the crystal have the Omega logo in the center? That's a good way to quickly check whether it's authentic or not (though there could be aftermarket crystals that have it etched as well). Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean it's the correct crystal. If the watch arrived to you with the scratch / crack (can't tell, but it's a big one either way) then it should be replaced free of charge.

Either way, send it back - if you spent $850 on a service and got back a watch with problems, it should be made right by the watchmaker I think.

3. cwindham Jun 10, 2016

The watch crystal didnt have the crack and i didnt do anything to cause a crack or scratch. It is going back to him this weekend but i really have no other choice as i have money invested in this guy. No omega logo in the center.

4. abrod520 Jun 10, 2016

No Omega logo = no bueno. Can you post photos of the dial head-on in clear light, and from the side so we can see the crystal's profile? Wondering if he installed a sapphire crystal.

5. cwindham Jun 10, 2016

I know, I don't know what the hell he installed.
    Noticed a crack at 12:00 position as well with the flash..... WTF would be causing this?? It's brutal! Is it possible he didn't install the tension ring?
    Again, I have done nothing to this crystal that would warrant a crack.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

6. cwindham Jun 10, 2016

When I am wearing my speedy, I make sure it doesn't touch anything that could cause a scratch or ding. I'm careful getting out of my truck(seatbelt strap), careful of my desk at work, I take it off when I'm gonna be doing something hands on.

7. axl911 Jun 10, 2016

Non-omega crystal that is a tad too large and developing cracks due to the stresses of it being forced into the case? Could that same fitment problem also cause the chrono hand to rub against the crystal at the 10 o'clock and causing it to stop?

Yeah, for $850 I would expect better service and parts.

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 10, 2016

9. cwindham Jun 10, 2016

It seems like it's laboring to move sometimes. Like some gears are slipping or something.

The chrono issue started about a week or two ago and the crystal this week

10. cwindham Jun 10, 2016

You and me both. If I would have known what I know now, I would have sent it somewhere else via mail. I'm pretty pissed off at these issues as this is my first Omega watch that is mine. I've bought and sold before but never kept any. This one I found for a great deal and expected to put 1k into it and not have anymore issues.

Oceanblue likes this.
  11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 10, 2016

wsfarrell likes this.
  12. cwindham Jun 10, 2016

Nope, nothing like that. Ive read that thread before and mine just seems like it struggles. It will start fine, run for a few seconds and slowly stop.... then struggle to start then run for a few more seconds. I reset it back and try again and same thing.... Seems like a gear is slipping or something like that.
    Ive started it will the subdial seconds hand as well and it loses time when it stops. The watch side keep perfect time, its the chrono side im having issues with.
    Watch is fully wound.

13. abrod520 Jun 10, 2016

I'm leaning towards @axl911 's theory that it's a too-large non-original crystal. That's not a sapphire I think, so chances are it's an aftermarket crystal that perhaps seems like the right size. I've seen non- Omega crystals put on Speedmasters before, so it's a very real possibility.

I also wonder if he's right about the chrono hand contacting the crystal and being unable to continue operating. I wouldn't try to keep running the chrono for now.

Definitely send it back and specify that the crystal be replaced again with a genuine Omega part. The watchmaker should supply this to you free of charge at this point IMO

cwindham likes this.
  14. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jun 10, 2016

Agree it's likely a stress fracture from the wrong size crystal.

Chrono stutter could be an easy adjustment - or a big problem, simply no way to assess for sure without an expert examination.

Good luck getting it sorted - it sucks to pay so much for a poor job.

@cwindham Who did the service?

Nobel Prize and cwindham like this.
  15. cwindham Jun 10, 2016

The only place that could do a service in my area. I dont want to name any names as he has 1 more chance to get it right.... or wrong!

I am in the New Orleans area so it should be narrowed down from there

16. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 10, 2016

Surely he charged as he knew what he was doing....

17. cimo Jun 10, 2016

I would give the business the opportunity to fix their error. If another trip to the same watchmaker fails to yield a working chrono or original crystal, I would ask them to reimburse you for the cost of sending it to another watchmaker in order to right the wrongs perpetrated on your timepiece. $850 should see your watch returned better, not worse.

kingsrider and cwindham like this.
  18. cwindham Jun 10, 2016

The watch worked fine for a few weeks then the chrono started acting up then the crystal issue.
    I'm hoping it's just the chrono contacting the crystal. That seems logical as it worked fine for awhile.
    He does the services on other Speedmasters Calibre 321's. Or so he says..
    The watch is spot on tho for 2 months straight so he did something right.

19. François Pépin Jun 10, 2016

Well, the best way seems to give it back to this watchmaker.

From what you tell, it´s maybe an issue with the penetration of the intermediate chrono wheel (the one between the second wheel and the chrono wheel). This wheel has to be exactly regulated via an eccentric screw in order to move the chrono wheel (when the chrono is on). Too much penetration and it stops the movement, not enough and the movement runs but the chrono does not (or moves with irregularity). It is an easy fix - even if those eccentric wheel can be tricky!

Should the chrono wheel touch something like the cristal, it would stop the whole movement.

But it is strange that the sub second is loosing time when the chrono is on and stops. Does not it stop as well?

20. cwindham Jun 10, 2016

When I start the chrono exactly in sync with the sub seconds hand, the chrono looses time as its irregular. I assumed it should be something along the lines of what you said as it was working fine before.