Story of Two Clocks, Theft, Love, Friendship, but no Watches.

My wife and I have been fortunate to have her very handy and willing father - who is 85 and going strong - when we bought properties over the years. The handy part has been good, we buy cheap and renovate.

This story is about a large 140 plus year old duplex that we bought in 2016. It had been vacant for more than 15 years and despite a beautiful Victorian silhouette, it was falling apart.

We located the owner, a man in New York who was the NOK when the last surviving family member died circa 2000. The house had been in the family since new.

We visited the house. The interior was grand, and the house was furnished. Antiques everywhere. It would take a lot of effort for the owner to clean it out. We bought it with all contents.

I was excited about a “grandfather clock” in the great room.

F76DA9DA-4445-464C-988D-A4412A491271.jpeg We took possession of the house about a week before Christmas, and about three weeks after I had been diagnosed with cancer.

I was a patrol sergeant at the time and during a few quiet opportunities I brought my work partner to the old house. Going there felt like being on American Pickers. The added benefit was that I owned the house. The one challenge, however, was preventing my father in law from hiring someone to clean out the place so he could eagerly begin to work. I was on a stretch of six night shifts so supervising the old fellow was impossible.

One night, I checked out the old house and noticed drywall sheets leaning up against the clock. I was not pleased.

I called my neighbour (jeweller) and good friend. “I need you to help me remove that old clock before my father in law uses it as a saw horse” I said. “Yeah it’s real busy (Christmas time) and we’ll do it after Christmas” he said. My reply was “No! Now! Please!”

He is an amazing man. He picked up the clock, brought it to our home and got it working perfectly on the spot. He properly serviced it soon after.

The clock has a beautiful sounding Westminster chime with hourly strikes. The heartbeat of our old house. It has a Junghans movement. It is an 8 day clock and I enjoy keeping it on time. I pull the chains every Sunday night. 936967FF-A336-4BEF-974D-617B52B98033.jpeg
During one of my visits a neighbour walked over. I was in a police car - a marked Chevy Tahoe and he was concerned. I told this neighbour that I was the new owner. He immediately pointed to the largest house in town - right next door, and said that the owner of that house had entered our new property in the past and taken the grand piano, hall tree and other items. “Well. As long as nobody enters from now on I am ok with that” I said. “Well, just so you know, I took all of the fishing tackle and some tools” he confessed…

My tour of duty ended and I had two weeks off. I inventoried enough items to fill 72 large plastic totes. It was fun to learn about the history of the house. I found a military medal on the ground (12 year service medal with the owner’s name). He had died in the late 1930s at a very young age. I still have the medal.

It was clear during my cleanup that the house had been rummaged through. I found a small pouch with a half sovereign from 1893. It also contained several gold and diamond rings. My jeweller estimated that the diamonds were from the Victorian age based on their cut. The hiding place was fantastic and eluded some pillaging neighbours for years.

I did not find a single watch, however. These fell prey to the neighbours, or maybe the NOK managed to save them.

The garage contained even older furniture, stuff that would have qualified as antiques even a hundred years ago.

I mentioned my cancer diagnosis, and treatment / surgery prevented me from saving the oldest pieces. I simply ran out of time and my father in law gave most of it away. I did save a few items, including a much older clock. The case and the empty “head?” towered above everything else in the garage. The rough finish and old bubbly glass giving away its age.

I also found a dial and movement, weights and pendulum in the basement of the old house. I dropped the pieces, excluding the case, to my jeweller and to my great pleasure, he repaired the old clock.

The most heartwarming part of this story is that my neighbour, helped by my wife, delivered the old clock only a day or two after I left the hospital, at my weakest and most vulnerable state.

The clock stands proudly in our fireplace room. The pendulum is bent just right to provide accurate timekeeping. I wind this 30 hour clock each morning.

I have deactivated the strike on this old one. My wife describes its sound as a Boxing bell.

If the house catches fire, it’s one of the items I hope to save. E9E9CBBC-A458-4C72-9059-2A5631E1A9E7.jpeg ED739CB2-557B-4A25-868E-B50933182D50.jpeg C42CF83A-3257-4A8F-ADAD-C494C4BB3317.jpeg D3246640-2218-41E0-B923-0F0FD61CD514.jpeg EA8D3CCC-96A7-4F76-BCC8-DB0CA4D5B287.jpeg 35E6294B-F7B2-402E-8978-16F1A6B185F7.jpeg 42D63B46-7B70-4491-B3DC-90A25EFB70F2.jpeg 22EAEC75-690F-40E8-868E-8304AB677286.jpeg
Edited:

Thanks for the great write up and story Steve. I love the part of how you built in the setting of the time of the Grand clock into your weekly routine.

Dude, you really do have the best posts…
Not really Bob. And yours are more fun! Here is the medal that was on the floor of the great room. It was hidden under the ribbon and we must have walked past it a hundred times before I discovered it. D6D8FC17-CE96-4360-8C68-2C601A45AA3F.jpeg FDC35A8A-AF02-4E3F-99B2-3BC3386817A5.jpeg C3119BF9-BD47-4722-B69E-783A4571B444.jpeg
Edited:

Shoot now you got me thinking about what items to save in a fire, I guess my cats and wife first, possibly in that order.

edit no my wife will be easier to catch I’m pretty sure so I’ll grab her first.

Love your posts too. Thank you for sharing and I hope, you are doing well in the long term.

Some neighbors!
My friend bought an 1840’s townhouse that had been vacant for a few years- did an amazing restoration. Apparently one of the neighbors had stolen the marble mantles out of it when it was vacant. The other neighbors knew who it was but couldn’t prove it.

My wife's grandpa and his brother at some point decades in the past sent away for some grandfather clock kits and built a couple of clocks. We have one, and my in-laws have the other. I don't know any of the particulars in terms of the manufacturers or anything, but they are neat devices to fiddle around with and hear chiming.

Some neighbors!
Greed drives people to act foolishly. A loved one dies and fights over an estate begin while the body is still warm.

My friend bought an 1840’s townhouse that had been vacant for a few years- did an amazing restoration. Apparently one of the neighbors had stolen the marble mantles out of it when it was vacant. The other neighbors knew who it was but couldn’t prove it.
This kind of thing amazes me. And I can’t believe Steve’s neighbor admitted, right to his face, that he had looted all the fishing gear and tools, but did not offer to return them. Some neighbors, indeed…

56B714D5-0405-4D3A-B465-A32A2637C4C3.jpeg DDCF33B6-0A25-42B1-9C88-D6F9D10C70DB.jpeg
This kind of thing amazes me. And I can’t believe Steve’s neighbor admitted, right to his face, that he had looted all the fishing gear and tools, but did not offer to return them. Some neighbors, indeed…
I am happy to report that they are not my neighbours. The beautifully restored duplex is rented. As for the admission of guilt, the uniform is quite the “pressure suit”, but then again, in 1995 while in plain clothes a man approached me and said: “call the cops! I just shot someone!” I had good news “cops are here” and bad news “get down on the ground!” Maybe it’s my face!

If the uniform is that effective, I would have worn the “pressure suit”, paid a visit to the thievin’ neighbors, and gotten all my stuff back.