Forums Latest Members
  1. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Nov 10, 2016

After watching the latest episode of Hodinkee's Talking Watches featuring Jeff Stein, I ordered a pack of AceTimers ziplock PVC watch bags. But after they arrived, I had second thoughts.

Are these safe for vintage watches long term? Im sure they are made in China with little or no regulations. Could these cause longterm damage to the finish of our precious watches?

https://www.hodinkee.com/videos/talking-watches-jeff-stein

IMG_0246.JPG
    watchdaddy1 likes this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 10, 2016

Personally I would not use PVC. I'd rather go food grade. Some PVC can outgass and some can get "sticky" and could affect nonmetal parts. It's the old baseball card collector in me. Polypropylene is better.

Giff2577, watchknut and Fritz like this.
  3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Nov 10, 2016

Personally, I wouldn't use those for long term storage, especially for a watch with a coated or bakelite bezel.

4. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Nov 10, 2016

condoms..... but only new ones.

EdtheAussie, ajg1960, DLT222 and 8 others like this.
  5. ulackfocus Nov 10, 2016

Wrap the watch head in a soft cloth or jewelry tissue paper first.

@STANDY - show'em the little watch sacks please!

alam likes this.
  6. ncstate1201 Nov 10, 2016

I would NOT do not do this. In a former job I experienced PVC plasticizer migration. I am not saying this would happen, I am not a chemist, but plastic stored around PVC can have this happen, so acrylic crystals or inserts or any other plastic would potentially be at risk. This would be long term. I have also seen adhesives speed this process (again not knowing how they are made), but my experiences were limited to applications that remained unchanged for years. Nonetheless I would not risk it and if you want to learn more do a quick Google search on it...

CajunTiger and watchknut like this.
  7. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Nov 10, 2016

Thanks guys, I had the same reaction, unfortunately after they arrived.
    I guess I had a moment of weakness. When I saw the video linked in my OP I figured if Jeff Stein uses them it must be a good idea :)

watchdaddy1 likes this.
  8. alam Nov 10, 2016

Precisely my first thought when I saw those bags...

9. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Nov 10, 2016

pitpro likes this.
  10. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Nov 10, 2016

I just keep mine in a Pelican case...airtight, watertight, and virtually indestructible.

bama2141, watchdaddy1 and Jwit like this.
  11. ulackfocus Nov 10, 2016

::facepalm2::

Allow me to repeat my earlier post that apparently only alam saw:

CajunTiger likes this.
  12. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Nov 10, 2016

I saw this...and assume this would prevent the PVC from sticking to the bakelite bezel...but my original question was more about a chemical reaction that would occur even without direct contact. Although, I think the immediate concern is the PVC contacting the watch.

I started thinking about this because I live in the South and after Hurricane Katrina there was a huge sheetrock shortage in the US. All the lumber supply stores started importing Chinese sheetrock and a large percentage of homes were rebuilt using this material. Within months the chemicals used in the drywall started corroding all the electrical and plumbing inside the walls. It even destroyed any electronics (TV's, stereos) in cabinets near the walls. This shit was bad...caused millions of dollars in damage. Basically anyone who used the drywall had to gut their homes and replace all the electrical and plumbing for a second time.

Larry S likes this.
  13. timjohn Nov 10, 2016

I've been using them for three years, unwrapped but all of them with desiccant, and haven't had any problems
    IMG_1901.JPG

14. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Nov 10, 2016

are these the same ones from Ace Timers?

15. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Nov 10, 2016

spin_transistor and Foo2rama like this.
  16. timjohn Nov 10, 2016

They are. I like @ulackfocus's idea of wrapping the heads, but one of the advantages with these is that you can see them at a glance.
    IMG_1902.JPG

watchdaddy1 likes this.
  17. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Nov 10, 2016

Want to buy 100 more :)

pitpro likes this.
  18. timjohn Nov 10, 2016

watchdaddy1 likes this.
  19. ncstate1201 Nov 10, 2016

Not to mention I have seen dog toys and shoes marketed as PVC free for years. I guess my logic is if I shouldn't walk on PVC in my shoes or have a dog playing with PVC, I wouldn't put my beloved watches in PVC to protect it... hope no one works in the PVC industry

Jwit likes this.
  20. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Nov 10, 2016

Hmmm, I currently store mine in these, but wrap the watch head in a layer of bubble wrap. I guess this would prevent the PVC from screwing with anything, but now I'm wondering if I need to add some rice or desiccant...

watchdaddy1 likes this.