Forums Latest Members

Storage Conditions, your thoughts please Gentlemen?

1. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 26, 2014

I have a small collection that I leave in safes.Some are air conditioned, some are in UK and not in heated environments, Some are in banks - where I expect they turn off A/C at night.

I recently saw in Hong Kong an early 1675 Gilt dial that had been put away in perfect condition into a safety deposit box 10 years previously, and now the dial is toast - cracked and dull.

So I worry where to keep them.

And what conditions will cause decay?

Too damp, too dry?

Too hot, too cold?

What say you all?

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Sep 26, 2014

Cool better than warm, dry certainly better than damp. Best preserved watches I've seen over the years are usually from the Nordic region. Here in the US, some nice watches have come out of the hot but dry Southwest states. Asia has been the source of some of the worst condition watches - bad combination of heat and humidity.

MMMD likes this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 26, 2014

A lightproof (UV) hermetically sealed container purged with ultra-pure dry nitrogen in a lead lined capsule.

Hidden under your bed.

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 26, 2014

Seriously now.

As just said, the killers are high temperatures, humidity, UV light and oxygen.

Aircon that goes on and off causes cooling of the environment, and in a humid climate condensation forms as soon as the cooling goes off.

Davis Monthan storage facility has thousands of aircraft out in the open, many to be re-used after sitting in the dry climate for months or years.

I wouldn't store my watches there but it's an example of the right environment for the right purpose.

5. M.D. Sep 26, 2014

Would make for an interesting niche business, long-term storage capsules for your watch (or anything precious that's similarly sized). Put them in the capsule, then store them in a safe, bank etc. knowing the capsule will keep the watch pristine. Could be a good kickstarter campaign.

6. bupdyke Sep 26, 2014

You can have a safe installed in your air conditioned home. As long as it is stored in a cool dry place and the temperature is even.

7. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Sep 26, 2014

I'm thinking of picking up an extra hygrometer from my local cigar man and popping it in the safety deposit box for giggles. Thought I detected a hint of condensation last time I checked. Most of my watches are in plastic pouches with one of these tucked alongside.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00967J7BQ/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_AExjub11HQ2HA

8. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Sep 26, 2014

AC can be your worst enemy - that is if you consider AC as it is commonly perceived. True AC controls both temperature and humidity. What most people consider as AC is actually comfort cooling i.e, it only controls the temperature. De-humidification is a by-product of cooling because the moist air releases its moisture as it passes over a cold surface (condensation occurs on the face of the cooling coil) but humidification is not controlled unless you have the ability to add moisture to the air. If the condensate is not drained properly, the air will take the moisture back until it becomes as saturated as the ambient air, as soon as the cooling ceases.)

Essentially, what you need is a stable environment with the RH controlled to somewhere between 40 and 60 %.

9. sulaco Sep 27, 2014

I may not have such an expensive collection and i really see the point of needing a safe, but i also love to see my watches on display, so that i can look at them whenever i find the time.
    I always thought about building something like a safe with a bulletproof pane of glass
    which is contreted into the wall. So i could have my watches at display and safe at the same time.
    But i think a humidor isnt such a bad idea either, nevertheless it needs electricity which wont be available in a safe deposit.

10. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Sep 27, 2014

I want thinking just a mechanical hygrometer to check the humidity. No electricity required.

11. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Sep 27, 2014

I think a constant temperature and silica granules to keep the air dry are two basic needs.

12. Lee CL Sep 27, 2014

We should go find out at what humidity and what temperature is the idea storage.

A dry cabinet (those use to keep camera) that can control humidity should be fine.

13. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Oct 5, 2014

Interesting. I'd say that if the watch is waterproof and the temp of the storage is between +10 and +30 Celcius not too much can happen.

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 5, 2014

To that end, I highly recommend silica gel packets.

Very cheap in bulk, put some in the boxes and replace every three months or so.
    gatorcpa

15. michael e Still learning. Oct 6, 2014

Stewart H and dsio like this.
  16. JM251 Oct 6, 2014

17. Dash1 Oct 6, 2014

One simple solution is to keep them in zip lock bags along with a silica gel sachet. Press most of the air from the bag before sealing. Then store somewhere with a reasonably constant temperature.
    Fire proof safes are surely a good investment and the portable ones are not expensive.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  18. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Oct 6, 2014

I'd need two because I'd spend so much time playing with it,I'd probably wear it out.