Forums Latest Members

Stop me if you've heard this one before...

1. stadogs Mar 26, 2017

Hello, OF! I've been lurking for a couple of months, and while I haven't been an active poster, I've done a ton of reading and have learned so much about watches from this great community. There are some incredibly smart, interesting and genuinely nice-sounding folks on here.

My story starts innocently enough. At the beginning of this year, I was about to start a new job and had a bit of an epiphany. I said to myself, "You're 32 years old, you're working on a great career and you might even be a living, breathing adult. You wear a suit to work. You shouldn't be checking your cell phone for the time. It's time you got yourself a proper watch."

Before my new gig started I had the opportunity to take a vacation and thought it might be cool to try wearing a watch while exploring SE Asia. So I picked up a cheap automatic Seiko from Amazon, found a nice-looking NATO strap, and I just loved having a watch on! I thought it looked great.

After returning, I went to work and started doing lots and lots of research. How much should a good watch cost? Should I get a Shinola? A Bell & Ross? An Omega? A **gasp** Rolex?? Learning about the incredible history and great value of the Speedmaster made it an easy decision. The harder choice was figuring out which Speedmaster to get. I wonder if some purists may cringe, but I fell in love with the Apollo XV 40th Anniversary Professional (ref. 311.30.42.30.01.003). I just think the red/white/and blue dial is so cool and patriotic. I trolled the various watch forums and ended up picking a like-new one right here on OF.

Because I have zero control, I thought I'd pair my Speedy Pro with a Speedy automatic because, you know, how could I only get ONE watch? I ended up smitten with the Day-Date MK40 (ref. 3520.53.00) and found one online as well.

This is where the story should end, but I'm sure you can guess where this goes. I blame my new coworkers, but a few of the guys in my new office are huge Rolex guys. Is that blasphemous here? Just a couple of months prior, I thought I'd NEVER get a Rolex. "Rolexes are too flashy. You're an Omega guy," I told myself. But again, the more research I did, the more I fell in love with the history and quality of Rolexes as well, especially the Submariner. I ended up finding a very fair deal on an almost-new 116610 from an AD over on TRF. A man can love two women at once...right? RIGHT??

I'll leave you with photo evidence of my work below. In the interest of keeping my girlfriend happy and not having my entire net worth tied up in watches, I've committed to sticking with only two watches for the foreseeable future and have put one up for sale on ebay. I'm sure you can guess which two are staying! :thumbsup:

Jamie

IMG_4200.jpg IMG_4224.jpg
  2. RJwatches Mar 26, 2017

Great! Congratulations with your watches :)

stadogs likes this.
  3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 26, 2017

Stop! I've heard this one before!

Oh well, looks like it's too late. You're already knee deep, so why stop now?

:D

Nice watches!

Larry S and stadogs like this.
  4. Maganator Mar 26, 2017

I hope you kept the Seiko that started it all?

Love that 40th anniversary Speedy. Great colour combo.

5. stadogs Mar 26, 2017

Thanks! You're right, I should hold onto the Seiko (SNK807) that started this madness. How quaint it looks now!

6. M.C.B1974 Mar 26, 2017

Great choices, Very nice watches. You can wear them for any occasion.

stadogs likes this.
  7. Sculler22 Mar 26, 2017

What's that expression about a slippery slope? Regardless, you're on the right path.

stadogs and Rodmar like this.
  8. Rodmar Mar 26, 2017

I'm gonna assume theyre are other pieces that you're looking to get....What are they???

Great start to an ever expanding collection of time pieces.

9. stadogs Mar 26, 2017

Great question! I have the racing watch and the diver, right? So what's next...a polar Explorer 2 is calling me...Cartier watches are beautiful, and they fact they make everything in-house is pretty cool. Not sure if a Tank or Santos is too dainty for me...this IS the Omega Forum so I can't discount pairing my Speedy with a Seamaster! Or, rather than another "big ticket" watch, maybe I get a few fun, cheaper watches to bang around? All that said, I think I should take a break to enjoy these (and start saving! :D)

10. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 26, 2017

Where's the picture of the Seiko?

11. stadogs Mar 26, 2017

You're right--how silly of me. Makes the day-date look like a monster!

IMG_4351.JPG
  12. slique12 Mar 26, 2017

Congrats on picking up three, no, four lovely watches:thumbsup:

13. adi4 Mar 26, 2017

Agree that the SNK should stay, and my SNK809 (my first mech) stays in the watch box for the same reason. I don't wear it often, but I definitely get a kick out of it every time I do.

Congrats on the beginning of a collection and I think Cartier would be a lovely mix into the current line up.

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 26, 2017

Welcome! Great collection!

Also someone on here got a great custom strap for that Speedy. It's black leather with red, blue and white stitching and it pops that watch.

I'm pretty sure it was made by another member here too. Oh yeah wait for your strap collector phase!

15. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Mar 27, 2017

So I'm curious - was this the first time in your life you'd worn a watch daily?

Welcome to the forum.

16. stadogs Mar 27, 2017

I came across that strap too--I think you're right that it would look great on something like that. And hey, at least strap collecting is (theoretically) cheaper!

17. brunik Mar 27, 2017

congrats... great collection!!!

18. stadogs Mar 27, 2017

Yes, first time. I think likely a byproduct of the fact that my father isn't a watch guy at all, and that seems to be the catalyst for a lot of people. I think you could make the case that I've jumped in too-much-too-quickly, but so far I've really enjoyed it--the learning, hunting and discussing it all has been half the fun.

ahartfie likes this.
  19. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Mar 27, 2017

Really cool watch choices! Thanks for sharing your story :)

20. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 27, 2017

Welcome Jamie! And yeah, feeling a touch of de-ja-vu here...what I have figured out is we (and most of this forum) are suffering from a very common disease called HORpes...:D...these damn beautiful shiny things just keep popping out of nowhere...and there is no cure for it but the next, and the next and the next...