Forums Latest Members
  1. airansun In the shuffling madness Mar 21, 2018

I’m going to take a donor 145-020-69 with a mint case and a pre 30,000,000 861 movement and build a cream faced Italian Military watch, with matching hands.

I should state at the outset that I’ve been very troubled by all the ‘customizing’ that gets discussed in this forum. ‘Authentic’ is cheapened if you can buy the parts and assemble a ‘replica’. I have a Gemini 4 and continue to watch with some horror the ongoing sales of those LE dials, bezels, hands, back discs and blank papers.

But I’ve also been sorely tempted by some gorgeous conversions.

I got the idea from https://omegaforums.net/members/knappo1307.2942/, who’s selling a beautiful conversion in the watches for sale forum. Here’s a screen shot:

0C13F431-3B95-42D7-AD0E-CF2E43AB531C.jpeg

[I hope it’s okay I did this. His actual ad is not hard to find.]

I thought I could do it cheaper. Well, of course I couldn’t. Not even close, particularly once I started factoring in what I’d change. Maybe a different bezel and chronometer second hand. The parts aren't hard to source YET.

Once I got started, looking at cases and newer watches as donors, I decided a couple of things:

1 - I didn’t want a movement later than the late seventies, but certainly an 861.
    2 - it had to be a clean movement with no sloppy watchmaking damage
    3 - it would be nice if the case was good enough to use too

It was number three that turned things. Crisp cases are almost as expensive as good dials; so many have been damaged and or abused. But new cases are quite pricey and they don’t do it for me; They’re not quite right.

A new hesalite speedmaster professional (I tolerate saphire but it’s not real moonwatch material) is around usd 3k. You can get a work project, abused Speedmaster for under 2k maybe, but you’ll probably spend more than the difference fixing what’s wrong on the cheaper watch. A work project made in the 70’s will be on the high end of that.

Anyway, I found a 145.022-69 with a crisp case and beautiful movement for usd 4250. No bracelet but a really sharp case.

It arrives next week. Here are the seller’s photos:

2A839D8B-548E-4243-A179-A0320D7F915F.jpeg 51A2C7D2-A53A-4CDB-A253-F5511079D574.jpeg CAE7E11B-C0CE-43A3-8D0A-938E51E01129.jpeg 2764794D-5DF8-4122-B403-B83EFEA24787.jpeg

I started adding up the value of the separate pieces, the dial and hands, the case and bezel, the movement, I realized it was a pretty good deal.

The seller didn’t know the history but is well rated. I’m hoping the watch speaks for itself. I’ll post pictures when it arrives. If I’m right, I got a pretty good deal. The dial markers could be nicer, but sellers photos have been known to mislead. Of course, a pristine vintage speedmaster with a less than great face would be my perfect candidate.

So, should I go ahead and deface history? The thing is, I love wearing a 50 year old movement on my wrist. I love the parts availability of 861 movements, but I’d love to do a one-off with the heart of a vintage watch. I did not need this watch to fill in a hole in my collection, so I’d be reluctant to hold onto it if I don’t modify it. But I haven’t seen it yet. It might be so beautiful in person that I can’t bring myself to do it or sell it.

So, first, I am enjoying myself, thinking about building a unique watch.

But the guilt! THE GUILT!

(I’m fascinated by how my logical progression thru the initial idea led to my considering the very sin I’d most decry in any of you.)

(I’m trying to start a heated discussion. I know I’m asking for it.)

Butchhuff likes this.
  2. ulackfocus Mar 21, 2018

Pfffft, mod away! Hell, why not get the case PVC coated while you're at it?

3. knappo1307 Mar 21, 2018

Your first picture is pretty cool.... :whistling:

marco, NOTSHARP and airansun like this.
  4. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 21, 2018

Hour hand look off to me on your watch. Too wide, lume not long enough? Minute hand, maybe too thick?

5. 77deluxe Mar 21, 2018

::facepalm2::

6. airansun In the shuffling madness Mar 21, 2018

Oh, come on. Use your words. I can sense your disapproval.

7. knappo1307 Mar 21, 2018

Not sure who you are talking to, but mine is all 100% authentic...

8. BobXX Mar 21, 2018

It looks like the original dial has a large scratch/scuff mark on it anyways.

Just don’t throw anything away...

9. doog Mar 21, 2018

If you keep all the original bits, don’t modify anything in an irreversible way and make sure the ‘mods’ are clearly described if the watch is moved on, then I can’t see a problem. Your watch, your money. But I can see the purists having a meltdown about it...

10. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 21, 2018

No, the watch that @airansun wants to mod. It could also just be that the hands were repainted and re-lumed. Lume should go longer.

But as far as the mod, I plan to mod my 3572.50 to a Panda next month. So do it!

upload_2018-3-21_19-37-56.png

knappo1307 likes this.
  11. airansun In the shuffling madness Mar 21, 2018

you mean, I can’t sell the bits I don’t use to help fund this desecration?

12. rb10chris Mar 21, 2018

Hmm the hands look a little off to me too on the -69, but i’ve only been studying speedys for a few weeks so idk.

13. AnotherDon Mar 21, 2018

The mod/don't mod discussions remind me of my car days. The Porsche guys generally believed that if the part didn't come from the Pfactory in Zuffenhausen then it was not worthy. As a result, there is very little available for aftermarket mod parts. In the meantime, the guys on the Corvette Forum are of the opinion that if it makes it faster/prettier it's good. There's a bunch of aftermarket stuff to mod your Vette.

Since the general consensus seems to be that the upcoming Millennial generation doesn't care about watches and our prized toys will be viewed as just so much rubble, mod away! Your watch...your money...your choice. It's not like your redialing that Lawrence of Arabia watch.

Just my $0.02

14. airansun In the shuffling madness Mar 21, 2018

I think you guys might be right about the hands. I see what you’re talking about.

Better photos will tell for sure, but yeah, seems a little heavy, like a later touch up.

15. jumpingsecond Mar 21, 2018

The whole thing is to have fun so you should do it. Knowing that desecrating a beautiful vintage watch may send you straight to the bowels of hell but at least you will have had fun along the way and the devil may favor your bold choice of sin.

airansun and BenBagbag like this.
  16. DonovanMartin Mar 21, 2018

Your watch. I’m not big into mods but that dial Your talking about is sweet.

17. knappo1307 Mar 21, 2018

:)

18. airansun In the shuffling madness Mar 21, 2018

Interesting twist to the story.

The moral is: this forum is a VERY dangerous place.

Knappo1308 just made me an offer I could not refuse on his modded watch. So, I did not refuse.

I had no intention of buying one, let alone two watches today. I’m blaming this forum.

It’s what Hannibal Lector said: “How do we begin to covet? We begin to covet by what we see every day.” How am I supposed to tolerate ALL this eye candy, every day, day after day.

Starman71, Psych, Mtek and 4 others like this.
  19. airansun In the shuffling madness Mar 21, 2018

Actually, I think I’ve committed an even bigger sin than the one I’d originally contemplated when I started this thread. I need to find a different hobby.

20. airansun In the shuffling madness Mar 21, 2018

And I’m only half way to being able to post in the sales forums!

Heaven help me!