Forums Latest Members

Stolen watch collection in London UK

1. trisdg Dec 21, 2015

Hi all,

I'm a long term Omega fan, but this is my first post here.

I was burgled last week and am trying to reach as big an audience with people in the community as possible. One of the watches that went, which was one of my absolute favourites was a Speedy Alaska Project serial 77213547, which I purchased recently from TZ-UK where I'm a long term member (with the same username).

I went out for a couple of hours last Thursday, was in a hurry and didn't lock the chubb lock, came back and after about an hour went to where I keep my watches and saw they'd all been taken. Also the boxes which were empty had been taken, but nothing else in the flat had gone!

There was no forced entry, so I don't know if it was a lock picker or someone that had a copy of the keys (as the flat is rented)

I feel utterly sick as I hadn't sorted out home insurance and these were part of my savings.

But the watches that were taken were:

Omega speedmaster Alaska Project no. 0610/1970 - serial number 77213547
    Tudor Pelagos - Has watches.co.uk logo sticker on box
    Vintage Tissot Seastar Chronograph - this doesn't have the original tachy bezel, but dive bezel instead
    Precista prs 50b - only 200 made, and was on bright orange obris morgan
    Precista prs 3
    Seiko 6602-8050
    Cheap Tissot quartz dress watch

Also a Rolex and Panerai box were taken

I thought with the number of experts on this forum someone might spot the Alaska Project, but the Precistas are pretty rare (especially the 50B - only 200 made), and also the Tissot chrono with non tachy bezel

But if anybody notice one of these watches for sale anywhere please let me know.

I would love to recover these watches, but think any chance I have of getting them back is going to be down to my own hunting.

I still have a few watches left including a Speedsonic I bought from Tom Dick who I know is a member here, as it is away for a service. But if I could get a lead on any of these I would be eternally grateful.

Have been searching pics and found one I took where you can see the serial number, which is 77213547

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading,

Tris

Edited Dec 22, 2015
  2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Dec 22, 2015

Sorry for your loss!

In Australia, most contents insurance policies give you a week or two 'cross over' cover for if you have just moved, but not yet told your insurer?

3. Spike Dec 22, 2015

Really sorry to hear this.......

I'm sure everyone will keep an eye open and as a 'London' guy, I'll be looking at anything local as no doubt you will be.

Good luck.

4. trisdg Dec 22, 2015

Cheers Spike. I'm actually based in Surbiton (Surrey/London borders), but I guess they could turn up anywhere.

Hoping the Alaska will be the key to getting it back

Leftinthelurch likes this.
  5. OmegaSean Dec 22, 2015

Some bad people around, if no forced entry could be an inside job what have CID said? I'd be searching E bay / Gumtree / pre loved for the next few weeks and visit all the local second hand jewelers.

Omegasean

6. Scepticalist Dec 22, 2015

UK police will pretty much file a burglary in the bin unless violence or very high value items involved. Best chance with them is that they turn up as part of an arrest of burglars/stolen goods handlers.

Watch eBay/free ad sites and tell local pawn shops is the best bet. The Alaska, being a numbered edition will in particular will be hard to sell on so I agree it's your best chance of getting lucky.

7. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 22, 2015

Sorry to hear about it Tris. A friend of mine in Kew was burgled on New Years Eve, 2 or 3 years ago. He was relatively lucky in so far as he lost a couple of good watches but the scumbags also took two "replica" Daytonas.

Unfortunately, as has been said above, the police treat burglary as a low priority crime - it is a shame that they forget who pays their wages.

Like others here, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Edited Dec 23, 2015
    PatrickJ likes this.
  8. danbrew Dec 22, 2015

Sadly, the thief is most likely someone you know. No forced entry? No other items taken? If it were me, I'd be aware of any changes in personalities, someone who doesn't come around as much, someone with unexplained cash, etc. Short of an outright confession, you'll have a hard time proving anything. So... if you develop a suspect, perhaps create an opportunity for a repeat visit with a hidden camera. Assume you've shared a flyer with local pawn shops?

Or you may just decide to not become suspicious of friends/family and write off the loss to insurance or a lesson learned. Unfortunate all the way around, that's for sure.

Aquariusmatic and citizenrich like this.
  9. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 22, 2015

yeah 100% someone you know - Lent your keys to anyone recently or had anyone round the house that is not normally round for a beer/brew/chat?

A copy of a key can be taken very easy and copied.

I hope it all turns up.

Good luck and i will keep my eyes peeled. The Alaska is very distinctive and not many come up for sale - best bit is the case back is numbered!

Pazzo likes this.
  10. vincereynard Dec 24, 2015

Heartbreaking! I can only offer you my sympathy and best wishes.

As others have said, no damage and straight to your collection, does indicate strong prior knowledge.

Somehow you have to not let the scum break your spirit and make you suspicious of everyone. Easy to say!

Don't let the bas**rds grind you down. I wish you well!

Vince

11. repoman Dec 24, 2015

Thieves are the scum of the Earth. Hope you recover the items.

12. trisdg Dec 24, 2015

Thanks for the replies.

Well yesterday I had a letter from the property agents that stated at least one other apartment was also broken into that day.

This kind of makes me feel a bit better, although I still can't help but feel 'targeted' considering the circumstances. I have also just received a letter from the police stating they have closed the case, which I was half expecting, but I have a couple of ideas about what happened which I'm going to try and follow up in the new year.

Going to have to spend a bit more time on this forum as it does seem like a very friendly place with lots of genuine watch enthusiasts amongst the membership.

BUT can I say if anyone does see an Alaska Project with edition number 610 come up for sale, please let me or the police, or both of us know.

Many thanks and Happy Christmas,

Tristan

13. joelapatrick Sep 14, 2017

Damn. I just came across this post in a search and now want to know if your situation was ever resolved? Ever find the watches?

14. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Sep 14, 2017

Cousin of:

1. Cleaning lady
    2. Ex-girlfriend or b/f

15. pix98 Sep 15, 2017

too bad
    Hope you recover your watches

16. davidswiss Sep 15, 2017

So, good news or bad ??

17. panaitchrono Sep 15, 2017

I think trisdg need our help if we ever see one of his watches on sale on Net to let him know. Personaly I'll look for Alaska project because it's a limited edition..

18. Damo Sep 16, 2017

I think we'll be nearly 2 years late... but you never know

19. Chunkychimp Nov 25, 2019

Hey there, bit late, but I might have a bead on that alaska project omega OP

marturx likes this.
  20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 25, 2019

Do tell where