Forums Latest Members

Stolen Speedmaster (please be on look out)

1. proximal Nov 1, 2017

While I was at the gym today, someone cut the lock off my locker and went through my stuff. My watch is missing. Since you folks are serial watch shoppers, I figured one of you would see it if it ever came up online. I'm in Southern California, if that makes any difference.

Omega Speedmaster 3594.50
    Serial no. 77112770
    On a dark brown shell cordovan strap as in the first picture
    Nicks/scratches on the bezel between 65 and 60 as seen in second picture
    There are other unique markings that would identify this as my watch; PM me for details

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited Nov 1, 2017
    AveConscientia and semper_shells like this.
  2. nixf6 Nov 1, 2017

We need the complete serial number , 9999 does not narrow down the search.

3. TMas Nov 1, 2017

Cut off your lock? Bunch of savages in this town.

4. jakeh417 Nov 1, 2017

Might be just me, but I would post full serial with words "Stolen" next to it on every forum. The reason is that if anyone does a search for the serial I want people to immediately see "Stolen" next to the serial. If you have any close up I would post too, so that anyone checking can compare distinctive markings.

Someone I know had their Panerai stolen. He browsed craigslist and got really lucky and caught the guy, he worked with the local cops to setup a meeting. Got the watch back.

murph and akshayluc420 like this.
  5. gdupree Nov 1, 2017

Wow that's messed up. Sorry for your loss.

I'll keep my eye out, but the full serial will be needed.

6. proximal Nov 1, 2017

You are right, keeping it hidden in this case doesn't protect me from anything. Added to OP.

The lock was also taken, so I don't know. That would be my guess.

semper_shells likes this.
  7. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Nov 1, 2017

Did they only take the watch?

This must suck for you / no good spin here / sorry bro

Hopefully he's dumb enough to put it up on eBay

8. proximal Nov 1, 2017

Also took cash out of my wallet and then put the wallet back in my pants pocket. Kind of weird. If you're in a rush, you'd just take the whole wallet, no?

9. GGG964 Nov 1, 2017

Does your gym have security cameras? Perhaps they caught a glimpse of the thief as they left the locker room? It's a long shot as I'm sure quite a few people enter and exit the room daily, but you could probably narrow down the time it was stolen.

10. agee Nov 1, 2017

Sad to hear this
    As a regular member of Planet Fitness I always lock my locker
    and I refuse to wear into the gym any speedmaster I own
    Hope you are able to recover your watch

11. dx009 Nov 1, 2017

Have you worn that watch at the gym ? Did people see you put it on or take it off ? Might not be a coincidence so to speak...

As someone else said, might want to check up the cameras.. even though that's the Police's job... Maybe ask around the gym to see if there were any non-regulars around that day or lately.

12. saulgoodman Nov 1, 2017

Do you wear that watch to the gym often? If so, my guess is an inside job. Someone who works there may have spotted the watch and waited for you to begin your routine before they hit the lock. Very few people walk around with bolt cutters, but gym's keep them handy so their employees can address locks that have been left behind. Have a chat with your local police and see if they will follow up.

Ssunnylee24 likes this.
  13. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Nov 1, 2017

Way back when I actually did things like lift weights and ride exercise bikes, I used to lock my wallet and watch in the car, well out of sight, before heading into the gym. All I would bring in was my car key, and I would keep it with me. Too much stuff gets stolen in this manner from gym lockers.

I hope you are able to recover yours!

14. TheHoof Nov 1, 2017

Sorry to read this - I do occasionally catch myself wondering if leaving a watch in my locker is sensible or not.

I hope you get reunited with it and while I know if can't cover any emotional/sentimental loss, hopefully insurance will cover the financial loss.

15. proximal Nov 1, 2017

There are issues around here with cars getting broken into in gym parking lots. I figured that it would be safer to keep it in a locked locker in an area where there is lots of traffic.

Police are following up on the cameras. It's a one hour window from when I got there to when I noticed something was wrong. I got to the gym a little early yesterday, so I didn't actually recognize anyone and wouldn't have been able to know if someone was out of place. I only wear it if I am going there straight from work, so if someone saw it on me, it would have been when I was changing.

Insurance claim was started this morning. Not sure what's going to happen; the claims rep has yet to contact me.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

16. Mmike1357 Nov 1, 2017

I just read an article on The Watch Register, an international database for stolen watches, suggest it to your officer or find out if you can register it yourself.

AveConscientia likes this.
  17. frederico Nov 1, 2017

This ^

Also, don’t people have to sign in at your gym? Surely the list of people present at the time should be relatively small ?

18. cvera Nov 1, 2017

It's a messed up situation overall but thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like you've done all you can for now and hopefully it's recovered. I don't use the gym lockers, don't trust them with any valuables.

19. WYO_Watch Nov 1, 2017

Sad day when the first page of “recent” posts includes multiple stories of recent thefts. I will keep my eyes open online, best of luck with tracking it down

20. proximal Nov 13, 2017

A couple things:

If are looking to insure your watches, I can recommend a State Farm Personal Articles policy without reservation. The morning after the incident, I called them to open a claim. That afternoon, less than 24 hours after the watch was taken, a check had been issued for the full insured amount plus inflation. As the watch had no sentimental value, I am square as far as I'm concerned.

Now, here's what I learned about padlocks. If you have anything of value protected by a Master lock, throw it out and get something else. They are seriously easy to get into. Whether by figuring out the combination:

Or shimming the latch with a soda can:

And don't think their keyed locks are any better:

My point is, get something a little more secure. The Abus Diskus 20 series is decent as are Abloy locks, although those can get pricey. You might not stop someone from breaking in, but you might delay them enough that someone will notice. Maybe they won't bother trying because of the additional risk.

Cad290 and Archer like this.