Forums Latest Members

Stolen package - recourse?

1. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Aug 28, 2018

I recently purchased a nice Hamilton Richmond on eBay. Unfortunately tracking says the postman left the package at the front door/porch. As the title says, I never saw the package. I went to the post office to ask if they may had delivered it at the wrong address - I'm told USPS has a GPS coordinates of where a package is left - but alas it was delivered at my address. I live on a busy street, with just a step to the sidewalk, so I'm assuming it was stolen by a passerby. I'm wondering what recourse I have to get my money back.

- eBay says it was "delivered" so little recourse there
    - I opened a claim with USPS since the package was insured but it was rejected. Now in appeal.
    - Credit card?
    - etc.
    - SOL?

upload_2018-8-28_23-42-52.png

Edited Aug 28, 2018
  2. WatchWalker Aug 28, 2018

Sorry to hear. The shipment was insured but no signature required?

lando, Kmart, Deafboy and 2 others like this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 29, 2018

I'd try the credit card route, especially since PayPal hates charge-backs, doesn't hurt.

WhatYourWatchSay and Deafboy like this.
  4. larryganz The cable guy Aug 29, 2018

If USPS doesn't want the liability then they'd better stop leaving insured packages on doorsteps. I'd call my credit card company if the seller, USPS, and PayPal wont make this right.

5. pascs Aug 29, 2018

In the UK when there is no one at the address, the post office hold on to the package and drop a card through your door with details on where to pick up the package, seems like a much better idea than just leaving the package outside your door where anyone can just pick it up.

6. michael22 Aug 29, 2018

Tracking is wrong often. Clicking a GPS waypoint isn't proof it was delivered.
    I recently recieved a watch that tracking said was sitting in Athens.
    You could lodge a theft report with police, & then make a claim on insurance.

Deafboy likes this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 29, 2018

Very sad to hear that man... my Rolex 1680 Submariner arrived on my driveway where people walk right past it and had ROLEX WATCH written on it in sharpie yet the dozens of people that walked past it left it alone, its amazing how careless the postal service can be

8. ioaniro Aug 29, 2018

If it was a signed package that they just left there the only option is the postal service. Ask them to show you the signature and name they have for delivery to prove the delivery took place (not just the GPS coordinates).

Deafboy and connieseamaster like this.
  9. boogedyboo Aug 29, 2018

Strange isn't it? I thought one of the prerequisites to insure a package would be that the receipient needs to sign for it.

10. Mmike1357 Aug 29, 2018

Through the USPS “where’s my package” tab on their website you can report the package stolen. You can do this or call Postal Inspectors.

Edited Aug 29, 2018
    Deafboy likes this.
  11. staristheanswer Aug 29, 2018

Sorry to hear.I hope you find a way to take the watch back or your money.
    I recently saw this video on the tube..

12. larryganz The cable guy Aug 29, 2018

My solution is that I have a UPS Store mailbox (since back when it was Mailboxes Etc) and have everything delivered and signed for there. Unlike a PO Box, they can accept USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL, and OnTrack. Then I also open the packages there with a witness, in case the box is damaged or the contents are not what was represented to me.

wx_073, uvalaw2005, lando and 4 others like this.
  13. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Aug 29, 2018

USPS used to do this but I'm getting more packages left at the door. A change of policy?

14. RES13 Aug 29, 2018

Since USPS marked the package as delivered, as you noted, EBay/PayPal will deny any claims.

I had an instance last year of a Speedmaster case marked delivered and signed for by me from New Zealand, however I never signed for a package. When pulling USPS tracking confirmation, it showed no signature on the slip.

The seller (the well known one) was at first engaging, then went on holiday and wouldn’t help after. Two months of just say “wait to see if it turns up”. They wouldn’t engage NZ Post for an inquiry so it was left for me to figure out.

The local post office admitted to leaving the package in a mailbox (not mine) rather than signed and delivered to me as stated on the confirmation (signature was required). Sent this to PayPal, they still denied my claim. Appeal denied too. They just look at “delivered”. They don’t care about anything else.

Luckily, my PayPal account is linked to my American Express card, sent them the information (including all communication with the seller), and I had reversal of charges within a day or two. In my case, the delivery service didn’t perform the services as paid for by me. Not sure how it would play out with your situation if the delivery service performed the service as you paid for. If you paid for signature confirmation and the seller went cheap, you may have a case with eBay/paypal, but definitely with your credit card.

I would recommend first working with the seller, because ultimately they are the ones out of luck if a reversal happens. They should be able to open a case with USPS, but if it was delivered as requested and possibly stolen, not sure if their insurance would cover it. It may be on you.

Good luck.

15. WatchVaultNYC Aug 29, 2018

Seller first, then Ebay, then card company.

Sellers insurance may cover it.

if that doesnt work..

How much was the watch? Ebay only requires signature delivery if the package is worth a certain amount (over $250? $750?) so you may have some leeway with them if the amount is below that.

and if that doesn't work..

Call your credit card company

take-away - always have your package insured, with tracking, with signature delivery

sdre, shishy and Deafboy like this.
  16. Dan S Aug 29, 2018

My take on this is that there is documentation that it was delivered, so it is basically as if your property was stolen. In principle, your homeowners insurance might cover it, although given your deductible and the value of the watch, there might not be anything left for you.

By the way, I once encountered a situation where my signature was required, but I wasn't home to receive the watch, so USPS left a slip and took it back to the post office. When I went to pick it up, they couldn't find it. It was lost. After many weeks of searching they could never find it. eBay's ruling was that the seller had no responsibility since watch was "delivered" (i.e. an attempt was made to deliver). The problem was that the seller didn't insure the watch (although the listing said he would insure it). I tried to make the case that the seller should be responsible for actual delivery, since only he had the opportunity to insure the watch. I was completely helpless. But eBay didn't buy it.

17. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 29, 2018

I just marvel at these stories. Signature required ... Pick up at Carrier office. Anything else is asking for trouble.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 29, 2018

You haven't said if the parcel required a signature. If it did, then IMO the seller has done what they were supposed to do, and it's nothing to do with them. It's then between you and the post office...

19. alam Aug 29, 2018

I experienced similar w/a pack from Amazon..it was not an expensive watch but couple of articles w/a value slightly over $100 USD. I immediately notified Amazon and in matter of minutes, Amazon responded with "sorry, looks like you package was stolen...." and "don't worry, we will send replacements...." and the replacements were shipped overnight! Now, that's customer service!

20. alam Aug 29, 2018

and..the right amount of Insurance!

Larry S and shishy like this.