Forums Latest Members

Still possible to find a NEW Cal. 2500 Planet Ocean 45mm?

1. msp1518 Jun 13, 2016

My good bud found a new Cal. 2500c Planet Ocean 45mm at an authorized dealer last month. Lucky son of a gun! Has a gorgeous piece and that 2 year Omega warranty. That dealer can get the 42mm, but is now all out of the 45.

I would really like to buy the 45mm this July, but maybe I missed my window. Anyone know an authorized dealer who has a 45mm left? NO Orange. I don't like the orange markers on the PO. 2200.50 is my preferred ref (and of course there are validations on it, such as with rubber or shark mesh).

The alternative is to buy the 42mm, but the 45 has always been what I had my eye on. I really want an international warranty as I am over in China most of the time now and will be for about two years. The food here is soooo safe! :p

An Omega boutique is a 10 minute cab drive from me so if service was ever needed it's easy to get it right to Omega.

Attached photo is of the Planet Ocean my friend just acquired.

Omega Planet Red Bull.JPG
  2. Mr Bing Jun 13, 2016

Have you thought carefully about the 45.5? It's a big watch and wears accordingly - I used to own one. I have quite large wrists and thought I could pull this monster off but the size always bothered me....so much so that I sold it and got myself a 42.

The 42 wears much more comfortably and is the perfect size in my opinion. There seems to be a lot of wasted space on the dial of the 45.

Not trying to put you off, each to their own and good luck whatever you decide.

cicindela likes this.
  3. msp1518 Jun 13, 2016

Yes I wore the 45 mm orient Mako XL for about two years and liked it. The planet ocean is similar in size. I do think I can pull it off. But I'm heading to the Omega boutique today to try the 42 mm ceramic one more time. I really want to be sure.

overlinjw likes this.
  4. WatchVaultNYC Jun 13, 2016

The heft of the 45mm PO can be reduced by getting the rubber deployant strap.

Now with regards to new, there are lots of pre-owned 2500 POs in close to new condition (probably because of the aforementioned issue of it being a bit difficult to wear) 2200.50 is quite common. If you add in an Omega service will be less than the price of a new one, if you can find it.

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 13, 2016

6. msp1518 Jun 14, 2016

The liquid metal is a stunner but that one you linked to is outside my price range. A friend of mine just picked up one for $4350. Not mint but very nice and time within COSC standards. With a service it would be perfection. $4400 is quite literally the max I can spend so I need to keep it under 4k on pre-owned if I then want to service.

Same friend got the new 45mm PO 2500 for just over 3400. I'd jump on that inside of 2 seconds.

I'm about to walk into the Kunming City Omega boutique to look at the 8500.

7. ctpete Jun 14, 2016

Just checked Ebay. There are both new and used in your price range.

8. msp1518 Jun 14, 2016

Yes lots on eBay. I didn't see any that were new. But a friend of mine may just have found one from an authorized dealer. Waiting for more news.

9. msp1518 Jun 17, 2016

News: He found an authorized dealer with TWO. How can we check the serial number to see if it is a 2500C or D? If one of them is a D clearly that's the one I should go for.

10. DIV Jun 19, 2016

Remind me of the difference between 2500C and D? Is is that big of a difference?

11. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 19, 2016

Wow. Congratulations to your friend and im sorry for the seller. I get anything between 5200 and 6200, specially niw that we know the new loquidmetal models are....different. But $4350? Are you sure it was the LMLE?

12. DIV Jun 19, 2016

13. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 19, 2016

The D has a third level of coaxial escapement.

The prior iterations all had some issue or another, but their bad performance is more legend than real. The C is a good and reliabke movement.

At this point , after all these years, if you get a C that has no issues it is not likely to develop them or it has been fixed already.

Additionally, most of these models are at or very close to their service dates so any lingering doubt should be cast aside after a basic service.

My advice? If you find a piece with a D movement and one with a C take the D. If you only find a C that ticks all the boxes grab it. The movement upgrade alone would not keep me from buying.

As a footnote, the LMLE , arguably the most desirable of 2500 cal PO's. Houses a 2500 C. It has bever given me any issues nor jave i heard of any.

Edited Jun 19, 2016
    Foo2rama likes this.
  14. msp1518 Jun 19, 2016

Oh yes. THE LMLE. Box, manual, but no cards. Someone traded it is towards the 8500 and the dealer gave my bud a good price since he just purchased a new 2500 XL.

We've talked about it and he now realizes he hit the jackpot and will send it in to Omega for a service and then wear it with pride.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 20, 2016

I can assure you the problems were real mate.

16. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 20, 2016

I know that, i am not saying they where not. What i am saying is that many 2500 no. D calibers didn't develop problems and that at this point most that did develop them are probably fixed.

If You do get a new one at the store it will be under warranty anyway so the issues can be resolved. Of course better to have a D model, but its not like they recalled the other models and there areno functioning 2500 ABC around.

I guess the question ( and i dont have data for the answer) is: of all the 2500 abc made what percentage had problems? I would be surprised of it was a majority.

And a related question would be wjat percentage of orher calibers have problems by comparison?

I know were talking about specific, rather than random issues, my only point is not all units had issues. I had the 2500c PO for a couple of years and never had any issues, and it was already 2 or 3 years old at purchase. Am I the exception?

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 20, 2016

I guess we have to define what "having issues" means. If you mean did every 2-level co-axial watch stop prematurely because of the build up of this residue between the intermediate escape wheel and the co-axial wheel?

[​IMG]

The answer to that is obviously no, and I have never said that every watch would stop prematurely. But as I have said previously, the residue was there on virtually every watch I have serviced with the 2-level escapements. The only exceptions would be watches that came in for service because of other problems and had not been in service long enough to start developing said residue.

The problem is only truly "fixed" by eliminating the 2-level escapement. What Omega has done for the watches still using the 2-level escapement is either replace it with a 3-level (Cal. 3313 for example) or come up with a temporary solution that gets the watches to run long enough to reach a "normal" service interval. I would call the 2-level problems mitigated, rather than solved.

Omega no longer claims 8 or 10 year service intervals, or uses the 2-level escapement in any watch they produce - those 2 things speak volumes to me personally.

Cheers, Al

Nobel Prize likes this.
  18. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 20, 2016

Got it

19. msp1518 Jun 23, 2016

Just another update. Confirmed 2500D movement. In fact, the dealer has two with 2500D movements so if anyone wants one, PM me. I can give you pricing low-down and put you in touch with the dealer, once I have put down my deposit that is. :D I am not risking losing out here!

:thumbsup:

JohnSteed likes this.
  20. jblau Aug 11, 2016

What is with the want for a D movement, is it really that much more valuable. Customer offered me one and i didnt take it, maybe it was my lack of knowledge of it and was traveling