Forums Latest Members

Still looking for a "real" Seamaster here in Kabul...how about this one?

1. azroxx Apr 6, 2015

I took back the 2 redials I posted about a few weeks ago. After looking at about 50 other watches and reading, reading and looking...I chose this. He popped the back off in the shop and it was very clean. I will have him take it off again this weekend to post photos of the movement.
    Here are some from my point and shoot camera. Pardon the lighting, I am working with limited options here.
    I got my cash back and bought this for 400 USD...I proudly wear it and have no plans to sell.
    An older guy from work called it a 30 series. I assumed he was talking about the size of the crown. It is a little small on my large wrist but I really like the feel of this watch, so I will pass it on to my son, redial or fake or whatever..I will tell my son I carried it up my ass the whole time I was in Kabul and he should cherish it...ha ha

P1020018.JPG P1020019.JPG
  2. azroxx Apr 6, 2015

Edited Apr 6, 2015
    Northernman likes this.
  3. Hijak Apr 6, 2015

The dial looks good to me, here is mine (all original) to compare to (only difference in our watches is the date)...
    Wrist Shot, 7.JPG
    Your watch crystal even has the Omega symbol in the center. There should be a cal. 601 hand wound movement in this. I'm curious to what the inscription says on the back...

Nobel Prize likes this.
  4. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 6, 2015

That "inscription" is the engraving on the front of his camera lens, reflected in the caseback. :)

Vario-Elmar, so a Leica lens on a Leica or Panasonic digital camera.

Tom

Nobel Prize likes this.
  5. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 6, 2015

A lense worth a pretty penny too...

6. Drawarms Apr 6, 2015

looks good my man!

7. Hijak Apr 6, 2015

It's so perfectly placed that it looked like part of the case back. Now that you mention what it is, it seems obvious.::facepalm2::

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 6, 2015

Watch itself looks good. Can't tell for sure unless the case reference number and caliber match up in the Omega Vintage Database, or by researching other watches with the same numbers.

The buckle looks to be a "homage", but that is very common and not a big deal from a collector's standpoint. I'd say 95% of the vintage Omega buckles on eBay are replicas.

Nice one,
    gatorcpa

9. marturx Apr 6, 2015

Well done, you certainly did your homework on this one!

Maybe you can start dig some real goodies (LouS style) if you keep up the good work like this

10. azroxx Apr 6, 2015

I will post this weekend the internals.

I also have locals scouring the markets for the Omega watch I was told to look for special edition SF...I hope to find one.

On a side note, there are a LOT of old Soviet watches here with tanks and airplanes on the dials and the red star. LOTS of junk I am sure but maybe a gem in there just for coolness factor.

11. datniche27 Apr 6, 2015

Congrats, good pick up

12. azroxx Apr 10, 2015

I went to go see the watch guy yesterday and while he did manage to distract me with some other Omega's that I will create seperate threads on...here is the inner working of my most recent purchase.
    Please advise as I did look it up and have some info but in the end, is it REAL or it a mash-up?
    I am looking for watches to give to the kids, no resale as someday the old man will be sitting on his ass in Kansas telling war stories to the grandkids..

P1020041.JPG
  13. datniche27 Apr 11, 2015

You did good on this one! Wear it in good health.

14. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 11, 2015

Those older Soviet Vostock watches are cheap and sturdy. One of these days I'll buy one and have a master watchmaker adjust it, just for entertainment value. :)

Tom