Forums Latest Members
  1. bvertz Jun 12, 2019

It’s funny how our interests and tastes change with education and experience. I first developed an interest in watches when trying to replace my grandfather”s Hamilton gold tank watch that was stolen while I was in college. I wanted a prestige dress watch to celebrate when I made partner in my law firm, like a Cartier Tank (I thought) or YG Rolex Datejust.

I didn’t find the right DJ (still looking), but one of the mods on this forum offered me a YG pie pan Constellation with just one flaw: a gouge on the case back where the opener must have slipped (not Kyle). And now I was an Omega man.

I assumed that I wanted to collect dress watches with automatic movements, but I was soon drawn into the orbit of the Speedmaster. I bought and soon traded an entry level Speedmaster Reduced for a full 863 Sapphire Sandwich, my first manual winder. I found myself attracted to divers, chronos and tool watches. Now I have more Speedys and chronos than dress watches.

I assumed that quartz watches were ridiculed because of their inferior movements. Still, my grandfather’s Hamilton (which I have replaced) was a quartz watch. I learned that when you have several watches in rotation, there is another disadvantage. Just when your quartz watch is up in the rotation, it needs a battery. Hand winders never need batteries.

When I came to this forum, pre-Moon Speedys were traded freely at affordable prices. I can’t believe the inflation that’s occurred. But it’s still nice to read and learn on this forum, which has helped to evolve my interests and tastes over the years.

ext1, Braindrain, Gentle Ben and 3 others like this.
  2. Braindrain Jun 13, 2019

Nice story.

I always thought vintage would stay nice and cheap, so I bought moderns thinking I could pick up vintage anytime.

Oh boy......

3. xeasygoingx Jun 15, 2019

I think this is another kind of escape from the "classic" investment types. Imagine the difference in your feelings when you take a look on your latest stock report compared to the look at your wrist wearing some special beauty :)