Forums Latest Members
  1. alecuncu Sep 18, 2019

Hey all,

I was thinking, wouldn't it be useful to have a sticky thread in the 'Vintage Omega Watches Help, Discussion and Advice' section where people who are interested in buying a specific Constellations can post some pictures for a quick check to spot obvious flaws? Obvious for the experts, I mean. There are many things that are hard to spot for novices (like me).

Maybe a maximum of 4 pictures (front, back, inside the caseback and a movement shot)? If someone wants his watch to be placed under scrutiny, he could still create a thread of his own with more pictures.

I feel there are a lot of threads for checking connie authenticity where its pretty obvious from the first picture that it's not all original, but the OP will have spent quite some time to write his essay and post all the pictures. Not speaking from own experience (my nose just grew by a couple centimeter). If we can set up a quick check, I feel like it will help a lot of people and the experts can let loose with their expertise.

Good idea or not really? Perhaps include Seamasters, as well?

Let's hear what OF has to say :D

Gr,
    Alex

2. connieseamaster Sep 18, 2019

4 photos would be much too low. Newcomers generally don't read the sticky threads until someone(s) have pointed out their existence so I'm not sure your idea would really make anything more efficient.

KingCrouchy and alecuncu like this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 18, 2019

I don't see the point, just start a new thread in the appropriate section.

89-0, alecuncu and KingCrouchy like this.
  4. alecuncu Sep 18, 2019

Well it would not only be for newcomers, but mostly for novices in the vintage market. Basically, before I purchase any vintage omega, I want to run it by the OF. I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

A picture of the front of the dial already says a lot imho.

Thank you for your thoughts! If many others feel the same, then that's where we'll end it :)

5. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Sep 18, 2019

Please keep in mind it is preferred the person with the question do some research first, and provide their evaluation when they request others' opinions. It is not a free assessment service here -- it is people volunteering their time and expertise to help those who are willing to put a little time in themselves.

Nothing is more frustrating then someone dropping into OF and posting a couple photos (or maybe just a link to the FS ad) and asking people to assess a watch for them that they have spent zero time assessing themselves.

6. alecuncu Sep 18, 2019

That's a good point. I did not think of this. I suppose creating your own thread after having done your research and still not being sure is the way to go. I have learned quite a bit when I compare it to a month ago by doing it like this.

I was thinking about making it easier for novices, but you are right. Only way a novice stops being a novice, is by doing their own research and learning from it. I will continue to consult with the members of OF before buying any vintage watch, but only to either confirm if it's not a franken or to confirm if it is.

This thread may be considered closed.

7. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Sep 18, 2019

Woohoo -- time for the off-track posts with cheese, cats, squirrels, etc.! :D

alecuncu likes this.
  8. alecuncu Sep 18, 2019

Haha I do like cheese

9. Edward53 Sep 18, 2019

I don't mind offering an opinion now and then when a new poster is obviously totally clueless about watches and has no idea how to research them. I'm usually tempted to "help out" if a watch they're considering is either particularly nice or a tatty old dog. The people who piss me off are the ones who, once they get their free assessment, disappear with no thanks or acknowledgement.

10. seekingseaquest Sep 18, 2019

I like the sentiment around the thread, but I can’t imagine having to navigate five different Connie evaluations on the same thread simultaneously. These things aren’t always as clear as “that’s absolutely a redial” or “the case has been heavily polished”. There are often nuances that aren't immediately noticed as well as differing opinions between members.