Forums Latest Members
  1. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Dec 24, 2016

Well.... almost,
    Apparently he initially choosed moonwatch for his famous Le Mans role, until somebody meddling with his decision :p

After McQueen, Don Nunley, the property master on the film, is the most important figure in this “Le Mans”/Monaco story. Mr. Nunley is a doyen of prop-department circles with a string of credits including “Little Big Man” and “The Amityville Horror.” He is also Mr. Terrill ’s co-author on the Le Mans book.

Now 77 and enjoying retirement in a bucolic part of Washington, Mr. Nunley jumps into his account of McQueen and the blue Monaco with the upfront attitude of a western outdoorsman: “I am the guy who put it on his wrist,” he says. “I guess I am what you call the horse’s mouth. A lot of people like to claim they had more to do with this than they did.

“What happened is when we were outfitting Steve I got pictures of the top drivers at that time, which were Jo Siffert, Derek Bell, [Brian] Redman, Jacky Ickx, and laid them on a table along with various choices of wristwatches. Steve actually picked out an Omega, which was the hot item at that time because it had just gone to the moon. He said, ‘I’d like to wear this.’

“He had already picked out his patches for his driver’s uniform and one of the patches he picked out was Heuer.

“I said, ‘Steve, you probably wouldn’t wear an Omega watch with a Heuer patch on your uniform because that probably means you’re being sponsored by Omega.’ He said, ‘Oh, good point.’ Steve was very concerned about trying to not look overly promotional with a particular brand-name product.

“He started looking at the Heuer watches and he said, ‘I don’t want to draw a lot of attention to myself.’

“Pointing at the blue Monaco, McQueen said, ‘Let me see that one.’ So I gave it to him and he looked at it, and he said, ‘Yeah, I want to wear this one.’

For complete story click this

Dash1, Gavin and Jwit like this.