Forums Latest Members

Stem and Crown come out when setting time

1. chaw6125 Jul 31, 2018

Hi Guys

I have an Omega Planet Ocean with a 2500C movement. When I set the time and pull the crown out often the whole crown and stem come out. If I put them back it it's fine and I can set the time and date and wind the watch. If I'm very careful I can sometimes get it in the correct position to set the time.

It was serviced a couple of years ago but it now out of warranty. I don't really want to send it in for a full overhaul as I think the rest of the movement is quite clean and a service should last longer than 2 years.

I have changed the setting lever spring and it didn't fix it. Would I be looking at replacing the yoke or the setting lever next? I managed it last time being careful removing and fitting the hands. I suppose the next issue is oiling the replacement part correctly which could be difficult. There aren't any watch makers near me that will do a part repair. I suppose I could ask swiss time services but think I will get the same answer.

Thanks
    Craig

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 31, 2018

By setting lever spring, do you mean the setting lever jumper? If so, that really isn't a part that I would suspect being the culprit for this problem.

Three things come to mind immediately when this problem arises generally:

1 - Stem is cut slightly too short.

2 - Damage to the pin on the setting lever that fits into the slot of the stem.

3 - Damage to the stem on the inner flange that makes up the side of the slot that the pin of the setting lever fits into.

Cheers, Al

M'Bob likes this.
  3. chaw6125 Jul 31, 2018

Thanks Al.

It was indeed the setting lever jumper (part 51.091). The stem being cut too short would make sense to me as I think it happened once when I first got the watch back from a service but went in again and didn't happen for a while so it didn't cross my mind for ages. Then I got a Rolex Sub and Speedy Pro and the planet ocean went in the watch box for a while. I do have some 2892 stem's and a new crown in my parts drawer. (I hoarded a couple and HE valves before the swatch parts hold in case they became expensive which didn't happen to anywhere Omega certified anyway).

I feel that cutting a new stem would be out of my comfort zone.

I'm UK based and actual watchmakers that would cut a new stem only are few and far between. I understand why though as for the majority of their repairs would then be subject to non watch guys pointing fingers at non related issues.

If you ever get a 42mm PO in for a service and want to cut a new stem to length for me that would be awesome. I can send you a sealed crown. ;)

Thanks

Craig

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 31, 2018

It's about as basic a thing as you can do - far easier than removing the movement from the case, removing hands and dial, replacing setting parts, and putting it all back together...as you have said you have already done.

But even so if you are not comfortable doing it, that's fine. There is a "cheat" you can do as a temporary fix. The stem already comes out easily, so next time it does, unscrew it from the crown, and if you have some lead or soft solder hanging around, cut off a very small piece (smaller the better) and drop it down the threaded tube of the crown, then put the stem back in and tighten it up. The lead should compress at the bottom of the tube when the stem is screwed in, and effectively lengthen the stem a bit. Put the stem/crown back in and try it - if it no longer pulls out you know that's the problem, and you can either cut a new stem to fit or at least that will get you buy until the next service.

Not a permanent fix I would advise, but something to get you out of trouble for the short term.

Cheers, Al

5. chaw6125 Jul 31, 2018

Thanks Al.

Thinking of what you just said I am sure I will have a crown floating around that will fit that stem, and I have spare stems so I could use a drop of thread locker in a random crown with a new stem and test the issue as you suggested. Obviously the uncut stem will be way too long and the crown nowhere near the case but it proves the point as you said.

If that works I can try your suggestion as I have a load of solder sitting right next to me on my desk.

The cutting of the stem isn't what worries me but the potential for contamination of metal particles after filing off burs.

Thanks
    Craig

6. chaw6125 Jul 31, 2018

I tried a new stem and that seems to have done the trick. I had to release it using the release button on the movement.

However it looks like it will need to go in for a full service anyway as there is some resistance during the date change. When it gets to midnight the date gets half way and stops then when using the quickset on the second position it turns but feels like it's reluctant. Looks like it will have a trip to STS after all.

Thanks for your help Al. Appreciate your expertise as always (I've been a long time lurker and followed a lot of your posts).

Cheers
    Craig