Forums Latest Members
  1. rascjp Nov 30, 2016

This constellation watch is up for auction in Japan and the back of the case has some sort of corrosion and discoloration. Does anyone know what could have caused this? And also, is it easily rectified? The rest of the watch looks fine. (The green circle is the seller pointing out damage to the strap). Thanks for your help DSCN1366.JPG DSCN1367.JPG

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 30, 2016

The purple stuff on the back is like a soft varnish that's used to stop handling marks before sale. It's possible that the other marks are just dirt/crud picked up or stuck to the purple stuff.

The seller could use a cotton bud and a drop of acetone to clean away a small spot to show it's not corrosion.

wsfarrell likes this.
  3. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Nov 30, 2016

Looks like dirt to me. Let's see the front!

4. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Nov 30, 2016

Yes - collectors affectionately call that stuff "purple snot". Ironically, what it means is not corrosion - but rather a perfect state of NOS-ness. It's factory applied, as stated above, to prevent scratches when a customer tries on the watch.

What this means is that the watch has never been worn. A fantastic sign.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 30, 2016

I don't know about that. To me, the watch certainly has been worn, but not enough to wear off the "purple snot". On a watch like this, the wax is protecting some outside engraving (rare on Omegas) like this:

[​IMG]

I really don't see any corrosion on the pictures above. Then again, I don't see much of anything there.
    gatorcpa

6. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Nov 30, 2016

Yes... I guess technically it could have been worn. But I was talking in the spirit of it being worn so few times that it might as well be assumed to have never been worn. There is no technical difference.

7. Canuck Nov 30, 2016

Some folks feel they are allergic to metal on the skin. Could be wax applied to isolate the skin from the metal back.

8. rascjp Dec 1, 2016

Thanks for the replies. It's a great help.