Forums Latest Members

Starting A Small, Targeted Collection From The Early "50's

1. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 20, 2013

Although I've "watched" for months, I'm definitely a newbie, on a rum buzz, that is fascinated by the technolology, curious of the horology, educated by the sociology and mesmerized by the Internationality, .....not genuinely a collector yet as I've only got a dozen watches with 2-3 that I consider collectible, but definitly addicted.
    I will always be a small collector on a limited budget, totally fascinated by the worldwide "Avant Garde" that I am priveledged to converse and associate with (Warren , Mike and Dennis especially!).
    I have a small target list centered on my birth year ,1951, dress watches,
    I have a great tool watch, a pristine 1970 145.020 soccer timer I've owned since new with great significance, .......but I have been coveting (biblical sin) a 1951 tdmp as an heirloom grail to start a collection.
    However, as I've studied, I've realized that my offspring will definitely not maintain nor respect the intricasies, delicasies and idiosychrasies of a tdmp, so I am rethinking my goals as a budding collector.
    Please, my brothers, show me (sell me) your "early '50's gem's" or otherwise point me in a new direction as I feel the 1951 tdmp may end up as a culmination, not a starting point for my collection.
    My tastes, thankfully, favor the Connies and Seamasters, all the later Speedies look the same to me ! (apologies for my ignorance).

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 20, 2013

The constellation line started in 1952 so that would be immediately ruled out...

3. ulackfocus Jun 20, 2013

..... but the Centenary ran though 1951. ;)

A 2499 would be a SWEET birthyear watch.

4. ulackfocus Jun 20, 2013

I see this thread is in Open Discussion and not Vintage Omega and you only ask for 'gems' but no specific brand. JLC had the Powermatic - the first automatic wristwatch with a power reserve indicator, introduced in 1948. Here's my 1953 example in 14ct gold:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's 34.5 mm, but with the wide flat surface of these lugs it wears more like 36 with all that area showing.

IWC had some nice watches too. The first generation caliber 85x automatics and earlier manual wind caliber 89's were great watches. Here's a couple mid 60's manual winds:

[​IMG]

Eterna's early Eternamatic full rotor calibers were out in 1951 too, and don't get me started on Longines 22 series. Got a couple 1950 models that have turned some heads. This 22AS has a dog in the "best looking watch" fight if you ask me and quite a few watchmakers that have seen it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1951 was the last year for the 22 series so you could grab one - in 14ct solid gold - for under $1200 on many days.

And if you're on a budget check out Bulova, Elgin, Benrus, Waltham, and Hamilton. There are some great buys with those brands. I've got a couple sweet early 20th century 9ct pink gold Walthams, a calendar Benrus, and a handful of cool Bulovas.

[​IMG]

Benrus might be the cheapest way to collect complications.

[​IMG]

They made a power reserve automatic and a few jump hour (called the Dial-o-rama) pieces that were really cool, all in the late 40's through the 50's.

5. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jun 20, 2013

This one is about 1950/1951. :)

[​IMG]

Privateday7 likes this.
  6. ulackfocus Jun 20, 2013

Mine! Mine! Mine!

7. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 20, 2013

One of my keepsakes is my Grandmothers' Benrus from this same time period. Photo's sometime when I'm in a better state.
    Dennis, for a kid, you have a perspective and a depth of history that is remarkable.
    I posted this in "open" because I am not sure as to the direction I am heading. I love the tdmp but there seems to be other paths I can happily travel.
    I am heavily biased towards Omega as this is the artistic and qualitative feel, the spirit if you will, of what I am looking for in this hobby and I think I am off to a good start with my soccer timer.
    My wife wants to meet Warren and his JLC and cufflink combo. ( I have no hair to speak of on my wrists!)
    The 2499 is a great thought, another bucket list item to scour for along with the tdmp and certainly more realistic and serviceable.
    Where would you start if you were a beginner?
    I went after a few with help from here, I don't think I would try ebay without backup. I keep waiting for that perfect watch to pop up for sale here on the forum. Seems like patience is one of the answers.

8. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 20, 2013

Kyle, I'll respectfully make you an offer if you will be so kind!

9. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 20, 2013

Dennis, that Longines is sweeeet!

10. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jun 20, 2013

Sure - but just letting you know that it's probably one of the last watches that I will let go of. ;) I think Dennis also has dibs on that! Some other early '50s:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 21, 2013

Geez Buck, you're in real trouble decision wise, and pocket wise too probably.

You're only going for a small collection (5 to 10?) so you could start with some of the excellent suggestions posted above.

I think a date limit is a bit cruel though, a nice pie-pan Connie would sit well in any 50s collection.

And a Golden Seamaster (Omega BA 168.023) would be a good grail ::money:: :whistling:

Good luck on your quest, and to quote an Americanism, "God Speed Uncle Buck" :thumbsup:

12. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 21, 2013

I'll say !

Looking for one of the only 2000 total 2499 Centenaries made or finding that great tdmp would probably be the culmination of a small collection, realistically just goals to strive for.

I'm pretty sure a nice bumper like Kyles' may be a good beginning.
    There seems to be an endless variety of cool Seamaster dials and marker combo's.

Anybody else intrigued by the old 20's and 30's stuff? I am guessing service is impossible but they sure are neat pieces of art.
    Thanks for all the thoughts.

13. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jun 21, 2013

The Centenary is a great idea.

Maybe it's the Zenith bias, but... if I were putting together an early 50's collection, I might try to gather the commercially available versions of the competitors (wrist watch category) from a Neuenburg/Neuchâtel observatory competition of that era. You get an Omega in the mix, and it would be a good excuse to pick up a Ulysse Nardin chronometer that you might not otherwise consider. The culmination is of course the first-series Cal 135. (If you want Omega to come out on top, you gotta wait until 1956... and it was close.:))

14. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 21, 2013

It appears Omega took 1st at the observatory trials in Geneva in 1951. That and the Neuenburg/Neuchâtel observatory competition would be a great read and a great direction if one can find documentation.
    Thanks!

15. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jun 21, 2013

Indeed... a prestigious competition... but I think that was more like the Geneva Club Championship to Neuchâtel's Swiss Open. I'm starting to like the idea of this collecting focus myself. Maybe successful observatory wrist chronometers through the 50's and 60's... and finish up with a Seiko.