Forums Latest Members
  1. slnd1524 Oct 12, 2017

Hi Everyone,

So, I've decided to start a vintage watch collection, and I think I've settled on an early 1960s Seamaster 30 as my first purchase. I really like the look of the watch and the price point is within my budget. I realize these aren't super rare, but I felt like it was a good place to start.

I found this one online. Its a 1963 Seamaster 30 with a cal.269 and a sub-second hand.

It's listed by a reputable watch deal in New York and I'm planning to go see it in person. I'm just not sure on pricing, and if there is anything in particular I should be on the look out for. Any help would be appreciated. Also if anyone has any recommendations for other watches that would be good for a new collector.

Thanks!

upload_2017-10-12_14-19-37.png

2. ConElPueblo Oct 12, 2017

Knowing the price would be a big help...

But I can already tell you that it is too expensive. And that if you continue with this hobby, the condition of the watch will probably feel sub-par within a short while of researching.

3. slnd1524 Oct 12, 2017

It's listed at $750. I feel like I could find it closer to $400 but I don't know what to look for to make sure I'm not getting duped.

propervinyl likes this.
  4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 12, 2017

Hang around here for six months you will be more informed.

5. slnd1524 Oct 12, 2017

Sounds good. I've already started to read through some of material on the forum. It's a lot to learn, but the knowledge base here is incredible.

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 12, 2017

I kinda like it... I don't like it at 1/2 it's asking price.

7. slnd1524 Oct 12, 2017

Interesting. So the pricing is about right if its authentic?

He's also got this 1958 Omega Seamaster Calendar for $900. I like both, but any thoughts on which one would be a better start to my collection?

Thanks for all the help/advice!

upload_2017-10-12_16-0-10.png

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 12, 2017

No and no. Both over priced.

Look around the for sale forum here to get an idea of prices.

propervinyl likes this.
  9. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Oct 12, 2017

I make no comment on the watches you are considering. However when the advice is to "Look at the for sale forum here to get an idea of prices", that will only be a guide as to what the members here are willing to sell watches on this forum to others who come here to buy. As such, it's a small sample of the watches available compared to other online marketplaces. However, when you buy on this forum, though the selection may be limited, you are pretty much assured that what you buy will be as described.

Ebay is a minefield and should really only be considered for purchases if you are willing to risk getting a lemon. Obviously, as your knowledge grows, you will be able to better spot the obvious lemons. However, it is also another source of pricing information by searching sold listings for particular makes and models.

The more you research and the better informed you are, the more chance there is that your eventual buying decisions will not turn out to be sources of regret.

Good luck with your search ;)

Edited Oct 12, 2017
    slnd1524, ConElPueblo and propervinyl like this.
  10. Vitezi Oct 12, 2017

11. ConElPueblo Oct 13, 2017

The point really is that these (and most vintage Omegas) aren't rare watches. There is at almost any given time, a reasonable amount of them for sale on the open market. If you learn how to discern what to look for - and the ones above that you like tells me that you are on the right track - you should be able to quickly tell if someone is selling

1. overpriced junk.
    2. overpriced nice specimens.
    3. correctly priced junk.
    4. correctly priced nice specimens.
    5. bargains.

The ones above is probably in category 2. The condition of the Seamaster 30 wasn't too fantastic though.

EDIT: Note that "authentic" is a problematic word to use in the vintage Omega world. 99,9% of all the watches are real Omegas, but it's the level of originality that varies. Has the dial been restored? The case polished too much? Are the hands correct for the reference? Etc... A dealer could easily (and they do...) offer an Omega that is "100% original Omega" that would be a complete put-together and no collectors like that.

12. slnd1524 Oct 13, 2017

This has all been extremely helpful. Thanks everyone!