Forums Latest Members

Started with a speedy, ending with it?

1. sdre Aug 13, 2017

My first luxury timepiece was a 145.0022 with an 863 calibre. Kept superb timing. Nice patina.

After I found that it wasn't water proof, (it might need new gaskets etc), I sold it and went on dive watches etc.

Fast forward, after going through close to 15 different watches; from Rolex to Microbrands like Unimatic to Seikos; I feel like i'm coming full circle once again. I put down a deposit for a 2016 Speedy Pro (black box)last month and plan to finish payment by the following month or so for it.

I feel the speedmaster is something that is so recognizable, so toolish, yet almost everyone has it. I hope to round up my major collection of (4 watches rotation) with the speedmaster pro.

Currently I'm wearing a Tudor Black Bay Black, Omega Constellation and Seiko SLA017.

How many of you guys sold your speedmaster, went through a series of watches and only to come back to it again?

GuiltyBoomerang, Taddyangle and Jwit like this.
  2. Canuck Aug 13, 2017

Come to think of it, is there any Rolex that has earned the attention of Rolex owners in the way that the Speedmaster(s) have with Omega owners? I don't know. I got turfed from the Rolex MB a few years ago, and even though, with a different email address now, I could probably register again, but I'll never go back! I had been collecting for 15 years before I bought my 2 Speedmasters.

Taddyangle likes this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 13, 2017

Umm Subs?

GuiltyBoomerang and Archer like this.
  4. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Aug 13, 2017

Nope. Wanted to get a "luxury" watch to replace my Invicta. So bought a speedy 3572.50. Bought a few more (some pictured below).

While I have sold 20+ watches I have only sold one speedmaster. I sold the Speediorite, and if it would have had a hesalite crystal it would have been the best ever LE.

Kool Aid drinker, preferred flavor is Speedmaster.

IMG_20170813_175833.jpg

Maybe, oddboy and Shailor like this.
  5. sdre Aug 13, 2017

Definitely the sub. I had a 14060m and a 116610ln and while the 116610 is the best dive watch I had the pleasure of owning, it felt too good to be on my wrist for my day to day wear. I remember reading someone way he's a mechanic and he wears a speedmaster as a beater...

I can imagine the speedy to be in a price range where I'm comfortable enough to wear it around but the rolex just don't seem to be a good tool watch for me, to knock it and I'll be worried and all that jazz

6. Canuck Aug 13, 2017

As I said, I don't peruse the Rolex MB, so I wouldn't be the one to know.. Okay, the Submariner. But with the multitude of varieties of the Speedmaster, I'll bet it wins the popularity contest, hands down.

Edited Aug 13, 2017
  7. sdre Aug 13, 2017

I know the datejust is pretty popular as well, but ask anyone about rolex, first thing comes to mind is the sub :)