Forums Latest Members
  1. Greatoldone Sep 25, 2017

Ok. I’ve seen the first two episodes. I didn’t hate it. But so far, it’s not what I’d call Star Trek.

1. Burnham - ready for her own command? Yeah, right.
    2. Klingons. Fearsome warriors, but seem to have problems turning their heads. I suggest attacking from the sides, Captain.
    3. How does a hologram lean against a table?
    4. Still not clear on how the look and apparent advanced tech (beyond that of Kirk’s era) jibes with this eledged Prime universe show set 10 years prior to TOS. Hey, I’m sure if it wasn’t busy elsewhere, the good ole NCC 1701 (no bloody A, B, C or D) would have turned up to the scrap. It was around then.
    5. Why. Why is she called MICHAEL? Is it a 23rd century thing?

I’ll keep watching. I want to see how Captain Lucius Mallfoy deals with Klingons.

2. Texasjohn Sep 25, 2017

Star Trek Diversity more like it

3. IDXM Sep 25, 2017

Life long Star Trek fan and I am just not going to watch it until more readily available than CBS All Access. Although I really dislike Seth McFarlane, I find The Orville fairly enjoyable.

4. Vitezi Sep 25, 2017

Meh. As with vintage watches, I prefer the vintage series.
    The only spinoff I admit to watching with any regularity was this one:
    [​IMG]

5. abrod520 Sep 25, 2017

QQ - do you watch Game of Thrones? The Handmaid's Tale? Narcos, House of Cards, Stranger Things?

oddboy likes this.
  6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Sep 25, 2017

Preacher? Vikings? Banshee?

7. bigsom Sep 25, 2017

My childhood was TNG and DS9. I'm looking forward to this! I'd be pretty cautious judging a show based on a few first episodes. I get sad every time I think about what Firefly could have become!

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 25, 2017

I was surprised by it also. Yes there was comedy... but a lot of oh wait Star Trek never dealt with that, followed by oh my god how did Star Trek miss that issue. The exec producer was on ST:tng, and the shows following. McFarland also loves Star Trek and even appeared in some enterprise episodes.

It a tribute in many ways with humor.

IDXM likes this.
  9. Greatoldone Sep 26, 2017

And I find that when it’s not trying to be funny it’s at its best. A lot of the humour just falls flat IMHO. It tries too hard with it... and it jars.

My mate asked what The Orville was like - The best description I could come up with was that it’s like very early STNG - awkward acting, sweeping vistas, panning shots of gleaming starships and swelling, uplifting orchestral music. It just has more forced knob gags per episode than TNG. ::facepalm1:: :cool:

Edited Sep 26, 2017
    IDXM and Foo2rama like this.
  10. IDXM Sep 26, 2017

Loved Stranger Things and the BBC House of Cards, although I watched the first two seasons of the Netflix version. Missing out on Game of Thrones because I felt books weren’t going anywhere. Also enjoyed Westworld and have really soft spot for Warhammer 40k novels.

Foo2rama likes this.
  11. Mozziebite Sep 26, 2017

Is 7 of 9 in it? If not, I don't see the point.

7of9.jpg

12. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Sep 26, 2017

Jeri was a big, big part of my formative years. Never missed an episode of Voyager. Hell, I used to record them on my VCR so I could watch them again later!

I watched about 30 min of Discovery and turned it off. I don't know, I just found the acting to be pretty "meh" and the CGI to be pretty "meh" as well. I know that's what you get on TV, but frankly, the advent of streaming Netflix/HBO Go has just killed every network TV show for me - with the exception of Breaking Bad / Better Call Saul.

13. redpcar Sep 26, 2017

I tried to watch it but was out after 20min. Un-inspired. I had trouble with the captain fighting with english. Just couldn't get into it. The acting seemed......off. The timing........off. I guess when you re-hash something that has been re-hashed many times already, you fight for interesting plots.

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 26, 2017

I give pilots/ first episodes passes. They need to introduce characters and world build. It's a lot to do and still tell a story. They are still finding out what works and doesn't. TNG was Rickey for the first 5 episodes.

IDXM likes this.
  15. abrod520 Sep 26, 2017

My question was, did you pay to watch those shows (obv not the BBC show, not out of pocket at least)? Why not Star Trek?

16. IDXM Sep 26, 2017

Sorry misunderstood. HBO, Netflix, and Amazon Prime offer more than one show the family is interested in watching. Can’t justify an additional service for one show.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  17. abrod520 Sep 26, 2017

True, but do you pay for HBO, Netflix or Amazon Prime every month? You don't just buy a month when you want to watch the new releases?

18. menacing Sep 26, 2017

Apparently US and Can are the only regions that don't show it on Netflix. I would watch, but I'm not paying $7/10 mo for CBS All Access. I do have Netflix and feel it is worth the money, and particularly enjoy many of the Netflix Original movies and series, but there is no other content on All Access that I would watch. Hopefully Discovery will be on Netflix sometime next year, like most of the other ST series.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/star-trek-discovery-deserves-better-183700374.html

Waltesefalcon, Foo2rama and IDXM like this.
  19. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 26, 2017

It's a bummer for us 'muricans that CBS is using this show to sell the monthly service. My guess is it will fail and go broadcast to recoup money.

20. kkt Sep 26, 2017

I'll wait for the DVDs to come out.

flw likes this.