Forums Latest Members
  1. ropercider Jun 1, 2017

I have just bought an Omega watch. This was sold as a 1943 which matches with the movement number.
    However the interesting thing about this watch is that it has a heavy stainless steel case with a two part stainless steel screw back the main back is attached by a screw ring. The back is stamped with water and shock resistant..
    I know that Omega were making military stainless steel screw backs at this time but they all seem to be one-piece.. The only two-piece omega backs I have found are stainless steel and gold backs with a snap ring.. I wonder if anyone who knows a lot about omega watches can help?
    The next thing you're going to ask is can we see photographs. yes I will put photographs up but I may need the help of a teenager..
    Finally a bit about me. I came into this watch collecting a while ago after I found that my school watch from the 1960s was in fact a longines Greenlander. Given the choice between finding another 11 watches to make a dirty dozen and moving my watch on to someone who would really appreciate it was a simple one. I'm using the money to collect together some odd and interesting watches but especially watches with stories..

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 1, 2017

Going to need pictures.

3. ropercider Jun 1, 2017

4. ropercider Jun 1, 2017

here's one I'm learning slowly upload_2017-6-1_19-38-24.jpeg

5. ropercider Jun 1, 2017

and here's one of the pretty side .. upload_2017-6-1_19-42-53.jpeg

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 1, 2017

Without commenting on the rest of the watch, the reference 987/1 stamped on the caseback is for a 33.3 CHRO chronograph which uses a press-in caseback.

Something is not right there.

If it was me, I'd return it immediately.

Stewart H likes this.
  7. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 1, 2017

Also note that the balance is not shock protected but the case back says that it is

8. Amadeus Jun 1, 2017

it is fake!!!

9. Temprus Jun 1, 2017

Only the movement is original.

10. ropercider Jun 2, 2017

hi thanks your help so far. Fortunately I bought this watch with my eyes. What I saw was an unusual stainless steel screw back with a two-part back containing a 1943 omega movement in reasonable condition. The face was of the period re loomed at some point and with a poor copy of the Omega signature. As I say I am an odd collector. this watch is old, interesting, clearly has a story and I'd be happy to wear it in the pub.
    I'm afraid I will have to search elsewhere for the origins of the case. But would anyone know what is the calibre of the movement and have some idea what sort of what you came from. It all adds to the story .Thanks.

11. Fialetti Jun 2, 2017

Well, the movement looks to be some variant of the Omega 26.5. The full code should be stamped under the balance wheel. The OXC on the balance cock designates a movement made for export to the US.