Forums Latest Members
  1. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Aug 22, 2018

I see the first of these on eBay this morning, asking £6,500. Mixed feelings. I was fortunate to secure a reservation for a ST#1 and then of course had all the 'intrigue' of the long wait and consequent speculation and debate on here. In the end a very fulfilling experience. This time I couldn't be near my computer at release time and all I have is the wait list.

It all seems to be happening so much quicker this time and it will be interesting to see how this affects the flippers. Although I was never interested in doing that with my ST, I could not get as outraged as some about the flippers, but the apparent insincerity can be a bit excruciating: "I am reluctantly selling my speedy tuesday 2 Ultraman due to a change in my circumstances."

LeonDeBayonne likes this.
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 22, 2018

I wasn’t surprised to see it but bearing in mind how eBay speculators operate thought £6,500 nearly reasonable. Well less excessive than it could have been. I am rather surprised it wasn’t a totally silly figure being the first to market. If I was buying one in the aftermarket I would wait a week to see what happens but that’s just me.*

*disclosure: I am currently flipping my ST1 so am not really in a position to critisise this kind of thing too harshly.

Paedipod, Nobel Prize, Kmart and 5 others like this.
  3. tyrantlizardrex Aug 22, 2018

Interesting that the seller has used stock pictures... I’d take a punt on them not having collected the watch yet...

4. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Aug 22, 2018

That's right - that's stated in the description. That's (too many that's, sorry) why I sense insincerity, since if circs had changed, why go and pay/pick up?

5. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 22, 2018

Ha very true, hadn’t considered that. There’s always one chancer.

6. tyrantlizardrex Aug 22, 2018

£2k profit... so the circumstances that changed, led the seller to not only being unable to keep the watch, but also to needing another £2k.

They never should have taken that pay day loan from Nigel “The Nuckles” Smith. :whistling:

Baz9614, Uniqez, red crowned and 6 others like this.
  7. LeonDeBayonne Aug 22, 2018

I have tears in my eyes. Collecting watches has become way too stressful. ::facepalm2::

red crowned, auxpomme and mancio like this.
  8. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Aug 22, 2018

It shows one thing, it was listed last night and hasn't sold yet so the demand for marked up prices probably lower than the first time around, despite the £550 higher retail price. If I remember rightly the early ST1's were trading names very quickly at this price and above, I remember reading that Watchfinder were offering £6,500 at the time I collected mine(I resisted, but months later had to sell it anyway and let it go for below £5k with 1171 bracelet).

These will be interesting times, if the secondary market looks stagnent folk in the wsiting list might start getting calls.

I'm in the position that I still don't know if I'll be able to go through with mine yet, but I'll be perfectly honest here and say that if I can't and I know I can make an easy several hundred £'s I'll probably pick it up regardless. Saying that I do have a friend that wants one so I might just pass it on to him in good will. All speculation at the moment and my first hope is that I'll be able to get my finances in line, love the watch and add it to my small humble collection.

red crowned, Jimbo555 and davy26 like this.
  9. lillatroll Aug 22, 2018

I remember a post on here where someone sold their friend a Rolex that skyrocketed in value. He had done it as a favour, if I remember correctly. Anyway the market picked up and his friend said he could buy it back at the current market price, Which was about three times what he paid for it. If you need to sell it then get as much as you can for it, no guarantee that a person on a waiting list won t flip it for a huge profit. A sad state of affairs really but you don t want to be the one losing out.

kclin, EatMan, Redbirdsfan70 and 5 others like this.
  10. tyrantlizardrex Aug 22, 2018

I'm kinda teasing here - it's your watch, you can do what you like. ;)

The guy pretending that he really wanted it, but can't afford it, so has to let it go for a £2k profit on eBay... again, it's his watch, but why not just be honest? ::confused2::

The thing I do take issue with (as with the last ST), is anyone who manages to buy multiples, with the plan from day one being to sell each and every one for profit... those folks are going out of their way to stop people who would have liked to buy a watch at retail for themselves, from being able to do so. And they suck. :cautious:

11. Supah Aug 22, 2018

Forget the rest. This is sufficient :thumbsup:

12. LeonDeBayonne Aug 22, 2018

Another way to combat this behaviour is to refrain from buying second hand. When all the guys who bought the ST2 for a quick profit will see that they do not sell, then they'll be happy to sell it a discount. That's what happened with the speedmaster 60th anniversary I believe.

red crowned likes this.
  13. tyrantlizardrex Aug 22, 2018

It happened with the ST1 too - the first ones Watchfinder were trying to get £10k for... then quietly the prices dropped as the market levelled back out.

Now they're typically selling for £5,500-£6,000.

I struggle to understand the person who's willing to pay double the retail for something... I'm far to stingy for that. ;)

red crowned, Jimbo555 and AndreiZ like this.
  14. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 22, 2018

Hi everyone.....

Welcome to reality.... anytime there is imbalance in supply and demand across markets... an opportunity for arbitrage appears.

arbitrage:
    the simultaneous buying and selling of securities, currency, or commodities in different markets or in derivative forms in order to take advantage of differing prices for the same asset.

Let's get over the " oh that is not fair" Since the seller intended to buy as many as possible with the intent on reselling for a higher price....

This is the nature of the markets... manufactures know this... thy can put up barriers in the ordering process... or atlest try... but in this it was not important for one reason or another.

On a luxury good .... I expect arbitrage to take place.... Iphone, watches , etc.....

as we go up a level on the " yousuck " meter....

people who by the "hot xmass toys" of the season to sell online for 2 to 5 times suggested retail price....

then the top of the stack !

But when it comes to disasters and price gouging takes place that is at another level....

I remember being snowed in at an airport where one guy bought out all the diapers at the airport store and was reselling for a lot more... to families that did not have a choice.

Your milage may vary

Good Hunting

Bill Sohne

Nick M., Mtnmansa, EatMan and 13 others like this.
  15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 22, 2018

So when is it OK to sell it for profit ? Because that is happening day in and day out in the watch game nowdays.

Some that sell here now think we didn't see the price they bought a watch off eBay a month prior, and are now selling at a few hundred more.
    There are more and more mini dealers here than a year ago.

16. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 22, 2018

Hi

Not not a question of when is it ok to sell at a profit .... it’s ok to sell at a profit , keep in mind the market it self will keep it in check .....

What the difference between your example of a guy buying a watch a month prior and then asking a few hundred dollars more ....

And a guy who bought the watch off Ebay a few years ago ... and asking more then he or she paid for it ?? Is it ok for this person since he waited x amount of time before trying to resell it ?

Your first example maybe the buyer got a heck of a deal and if you saw the watch on Ebay and passed , had a chance .... or not could have been a bad buy and he will be sitting on the watch for years I know “watch sellers “ who will stick to an asking price no matter doesn’t of think of time value of money or the number of turns etc.....

In any case you as a buyer can either buy or pass on the item and no Blood has been spilled ...

That is just buying and selling ..... and I bet if you made a counter offer to the seller they might take it ...

Good hunting
    Bill

17. Mr Blond Aug 22, 2018

People like who buy just to sell them wind me up. I missed out on the Ultraman and I’m on a reserve list should people decide to pull out. The chances of me getting one from Omega is pretty slim. There’s no way I’m paying over £5k for one. Hopefully people who buy them just to sell them will be stuck with them for a long time.

red crowned likes this.
  18. Toishome Aug 22, 2018

I cant find it on eBay::facepalm2:: Can someone share the link?

19. tyrantlizardrex Aug 22, 2018

Here's the one this thread was about (£6,500):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Speedmaster-Speedy-Tuesday-2-Ultraman-Limited-Edition/132752651298Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

And here's one for £10k (from a person with zero feedback as a seller):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Sp...229089?hash=item260062c0a1:g:N~YAAOSwZOBbfTqcPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

A third at £6,500 (watch in hand but stock images):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Speedmaster-Ultraman-Speedy-Tuesday-2-in-hand/142913342815Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Toishome likes this.
  20. Linzer Aug 22, 2018

There are two more on the bay now. One for an optimistic £10000 or best offer.