Forums Latest Members

Squirrel Bites - Late Aerocompax

1. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Aug 27, 2013

As I was focusing on building the watch fund during the long lull period before watch season starts, the golden squirrel bit. I had always thought my first UG will be either a Polerouter or Polerouter Sub or a Tricompax. Have been yearning for one since I saw fellow member J-Luc's example until I saw this on the board of another forum. Condition for this Ref. 890101/01 is so good that I feel I will kick myself if I miss it.
    I tried to search the intra web so find more information and it seems that are limited out there. I will be very grateful if the more informed UG collectors can shed some light on this particular model. Runs on a Cal 17B if I am not wrong. My first and only 24-hour watch. Interesting feature is that the minute subdial recorder at 3 jumps and shows every 30 seconds that elapsed. Interesting but I am not sure why there is a need for that since the half minute is indicated by the sweeping chrono seconds. Anyone knows why? On to the pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Finally, a mandatory wristshot.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for watching!

ELV web, ganottero and NT931 like this.
  2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 27, 2013

The condition is beyond reproach, Gavin. The squirrel spend some time preparing this hit. Is that a 24hr version of a Venus 178? Why are you calling it a cal 17B? It seems to carry UG's internel reference number 90 on the bridge.

There are many versions of these late non-UG engined Aerocompaxes, and the situation is very confused(at least to me) regarding references and production sequence. I think you just got the job of sorting it out.

3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Aug 27, 2013

Super cool Gavin. Sometimes in the future I should hop to Singapore and see your collection.

4. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Aug 27, 2013

At first I thought it is a Venus 178 after some reading. Then I confused myself more with a factsheet from Antiquorum which states cal 17B for the same watch with the same reference. Probably AQ is wrong but I do not know enough about UG. Is this reference in Sala's book?

Looks like I need to sleep less.:coffee: More reading on Omega, Zenith Longines and UG.

Thanks. Just let me know when you're dropping by.

5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 27, 2013

Aha! Not wrong but as is usual with them, careless. I'll bet dollars to donuts that "17B" is a misprint or a misread of "178." Anyway, UG's caliber designation is stamped on the bridge - for UG, it isa caliber 90.

6. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Aug 27, 2013

Thanks Lou.

7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Aug 28, 2013

I have already bought several watch books. Now it is time to start reading it ............. ::yawn::.

I will........ :thumbsup:

8. mbirtch Aug 28, 2013

aerocompax is second generation -dated 69-with venus 178(same as cosmonaute)..............I have first generation with odd number dial..............................great watch and interesting 15 minute counter.

9. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 28, 2013

Good info - Pictures please!

10. mbirtch Aug 28, 2013

11. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 28, 2013

I meant pictures of your first generation one.

12. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Aug 28, 2013

Looking forward to pics of your watch if possible.:)

13. mbirtch Aug 28, 2013

ps........................the watch looks all original with the non-black/white outer bezel(not day and night)-calibre 90 Universal(178 venus)-they reissued much later with similar looks except protected crown .There are a few for sale(Private eyes Japan) and a couple of first generation (Chrono24+Matthew Bain)-go for high prices now as very scarce..........................

14. andy_s Aug 28, 2013

Hi Mike, was just going to call you over but you're here already.

Impeccable Gavin, a nice one indeed & thanks for the info Mike.

15. mbirtch Aug 29, 2013

Hi Andy- had some thoughts on date of '69--mine was said to be '75 but I later serial number dated it to '65------Bonhams had one but stated '70's so maybe I am out with this one---------------of course the aerocompax name relates also to the range of four dial chronographs(top dial as "memory" dial) I think -in 35 mm and 37mm cases- also there is of course the datocompax. The only other variant I am aware of is a beautiful aerocompax with day/night bezel and red arrow I think above hour counter and divided black white dial................interesting chronographs though and they wear quite big at 41mm I think.

16. mbirtch Aug 29, 2013

ps -wrong again-the black/white divided dial aerocompax I mentioned has beautiful red arrow and "N" I think pointing down within hour counter-quite lovely-(see andre55)

17. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 29, 2013

Posting for Mike

Immagine 359 mikeb.jpg

18. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Aug 29, 2013

Thanks Lou and Mike. Definitely prefer the day/night bezel on the earlier version.:thumbsup:

19. tomvox1 Jan 29, 2014

That is really interesting. One doesn't often see Venus calibers on anything other than Breitling's during this era (late 50s/60s). Almost as if they had an exclusive deal with Venus. I guess they let a few movements go to other producers, though.
    Cool watches--enjoy, gents!
    T.

20. mbirtch Jan 29, 2014

guess its because of need for 24 hour movement -bridge signed UG-watch was for sale on watch sales but now OHPF.