Forums Latest Members
  1. connieseamaster Aug 8, 2019

Ladies and gents, this watch popped up in my eBay saved search and for $150, my curiosity was piqued. Any insights, case back number interpretation, etc would be helpful. Maybe my Google-fu is starting to age, but I couldn't find good resources on identifying it. Mainly I want to make sure it isnt a frankenwatch. The crown is probably a replacement and the crystal needs a good polish, but I can't find any other obvious defects.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Edited Aug 9, 2019
  2. connieseamaster Aug 8, 2019

Forgot a movement shot
    [​IMG]

3. connieseamaster Sep 21, 2019

Watch in hand now. Quite a bit heavier than I was expecting.

Text on the case back: Surf Stainless Steel

01-270-485

From some googling, apparently "Surf" was Zenith's designation for 30m water resistance in the mid 70s.

Any strap suggestions? I'm thinking a grayish blue...

Foo2rama likes this.
  4. BAJJ Sep 21, 2019

That is retro cool, really like it, sorry though I don't know anything about it:)

5. Dan S Sep 21, 2019

Sorry I didn't notice this thread originally. I believe that is a later variant from the "Respirator" line (although not signed that way) using the water-resistant square case from Piquerez (see the stamp inside the case). Most likely the crown should have the same logo as on the dial.

connieseamaster likes this.
  6. connieseamaster Sep 21, 2019

I'm pretty certain the crown is a generic replacement (no logo present). Do you know where I could find a replacement crystal, or at least where to look for part numbers? The crystal is in very rough shape.

It's going back to the seller to fix an undisclosed hands issue, giving me plenty of time to come up with a strap for it.

7. Norfolk Sep 21, 2019

I have a number of these. Am travelling at present so cant provide pics or much info. Crowns are often replaced with generic on these due to split stem construction meaning they get pulled out and lost by the unwary - and originals are hard to find now. I have picked up cheaper non working spare models eg Defy etc to cannibalise for parts - try finding an original buckle ! 2552 and 2562C movts from memory - yes a progression from the Respirator X models in mid-1970s - this is 1973 case as per. Dials often ruined due to gasket being glued and them badly removed when replacing crystal - which obviously hasnt happened in your case as it looks original! Underrated models which are pleasant on the wrist and very accurate when serviced. Crystals hard to find too - some repro items in Turkey - a lot of Zenith were sold there for some odd reason in 1970s and 1980s.

connieseamaster and Dan S like this.
  8. Dan S Sep 21, 2019

At first I was going to say that the crystal could probably be salvaged, but then I noticed that there may be a pretty bad dent near the center.

9. connieseamaster Sep 22, 2019

It's straight up chip, which is something I didn't think acrylic did but whatever. Polywatch is doing something, but there are definitely some angles where you can see every scratch and chip and others where they more or less disappear. It's wearable without a new crystal, but I'll definitely be searching for one.

10. Dan S Sep 22, 2019

Even the scratches look deep enough to require more than Polywatch. You would probably need to move through several grades of fine sandpaper first.

connieseamaster likes this.
  11. connieseamaster Sep 22, 2019

Yeah, something to consider after I get the watch back from the seller.