Forums Latest Members

Square Cased Constellation ???Bezel

1. jackasti Nov 7, 2013

Dear Omegaphiles,
    I have now started to throw money, pension, and am also considering prostitution in my efforts to increase my collection of Omegas.....I am sure you have all been there when you first start on the quest.
    I have just purchased a square cased Constellation which I believe to be gold plated. It only cost £200 so I was, and am, unsure as to whether I have a bargain or not. All the functions work and it keeps perfect time
    The original crystal with the little omega logo in the middle is reassuring. I have attempted to take the back off by removing the 4 x grub screws and then was confounded as the movement sits in a "tank" which probably means I need to remove the stem to get at the back in order to find out the case number and other info........How does a novice go about doing this without damaging the stem?
    There is not a bezel surounding the crystal...should it have one?
    As always I will be eternally grateful for any advice and guidance

Colin

SDC13033.JPG SDC13035.JPG SDC13036.JPG

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 7, 2013

By taking it to a qualified watchmaker. These have a split stem which can be a bit tricky to remove.

No bezel on these.

3. jackasti Nov 7, 2013

Blimey X350 XJR !!

Is there no end to your knowledge? Very many thanks for your prompt reply. I will now put my chisel and hammer back in the box and take the Constellation to an expert, who probably has a considerably smaller hammer and chisel....

The watch did not come with any history, or details, so I am not sure what to type into the Omega website in order to research the cal and age. Any pointers would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Colin

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 7, 2013

Reference 368.0854.

The one shown in the Omega database is 18K, but the same ref was used for all case types, so all other info is relevant.

Constellation

Gents' metal bracelet

Reference
    BA 368.0854
    International collection
    Movement
    Type: Automatic chronometer certified
    Caliber number: 1021
    Created in 1972
    23 jewels
    Central sweep-second hand
    Functions
    Day-date, Chronometer
    Case
    18K solid yellow gold
    Case back
    With screws
    Dial
    Solid gold, with gold hour markers and luminous "stick" hands.
    Crystal
    Not available
    Bracelet
    18K solid yellow gold
    Water resistance
    30 meters

5. jackasti Nov 7, 2013

What service!!.
    Many thanks

Colin