Forums Latest Members
  1. shoota70 Jun 25, 2015

I just handled the new Squale Pepsi GMT Diver and was blown away at the finish. Very well put together piece with perfect case finishing and an outstanding, beefy, comfy, tapered bracelet. I couldn't believe it is a $650 piece.

2. Stratos Jun 26, 2015

I have owned a Steinhart which was very nice and nicely build but could not overcome the fact that it was an homage.

Eventually, I sold it.
    $650 might not sound that much but it is better to buy something truly original.

3. shoota70 Jun 29, 2015

Comparing Squale to Steinhart is a mistake. Squale is a company that has been around a long time with a rich history of pioneering cases in the "diver" segment. Squale is not a homage maker.

4. lenny Jun 29, 2015

Are you sure that modern Squale has anything to do with the old brand?

5. Stratos Jun 29, 2015

Are you sure?

Original Squale and current Squale, only share the same name...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. shoota70 Jun 29, 2015

You may raise a good point, I am not sure. But from what I have read, modern Squale is very much in tune with the history of the company.

7. shoota70 Jun 29, 2015

Please elaborate on the idea of original Squale and current Squale if you wouldn't mind.

And based on these photos, are you implying that the Squale is a homage to Steinhart?

8. lenny Jun 29, 2015

It appears that they were relaunched in 2010.
    [​IMG]
    Much like Blancpain and Doxa, I think they are trading on a past history that really isn't theirs.

persco likes this.
  9. shoota70 Jun 29, 2015

I guess time will tell. But it appears to me that so far they are still making honest watches.

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 29, 2015

That Pan Am GMT homage is pretty shameless I have to say...

11. lwong Jun 29, 2015

I struggle with Squale the same way I struggle with Doxa and other relaunched diver brands. I love divers and I love the history behind these brands... But I feel that the modern updates either trend towards efforts at mass appeal (good example being making homages, as per the GMT above) or reliance on the Panerai formula (e.g. multiple DOXA editions of basically the same cushion case design).

persco and lenny like this.
  12. Stratos Jun 29, 2015

Squale used to make cases and parts for many companies, including Blancpain.
    Was one of the best companies for divers' watches.

However, modern Squale company sold a few watches made of NOS parts and equipped with modern ETA movements and introduced series that replicate their famous models, like 1521(and completely ruined with this engraving on the side of the case).

[​IMG]

Squale 20 atmos is an homage to Rolex Submariner.
    I have been said that is a pretty good one in terms of quality.
    Nevertheless is still an homage.

Now, they have introduced this GMT which replicates the famous and rare PANAM GMT.

The only Squale watch that I would proudly wear is Tiger.

[​IMG]

13. Stratos Jun 29, 2015

well said
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I would disagree for the case of DOXA Watches. They are making amazing tool watches.

On the other hand there similar cases to Squale, where relaunched brands cannot offer what they used to.
    I had ordered an Aquadive Bronze and I was so disappointed with it that I returned it the same day.

14. shoota70 Jun 29, 2015

Has it been proven that the PANAM GMT ever really existed? I was under the impression that it has never really been confirmed or denied.

And we can't really throw the homage label on them for the Squale 20, as not homage-ing the Sub is nearly imposible.

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 29, 2015

16. lwong Jun 29, 2015

Panerai also makes amazing tool watches, depending on your POV. But, horses for courses. I suppose I should not have generalised so quickly, although I do feel that way about many of the dive brands that populate WUS.

I also do not recall firm evidence that the Pan Ams actually existed, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if they did. I do like the Steinhart homage which looks a lot more classy than the Squale. Which is what it comes down to I think. It looks like Squale can't even be bothered to put in a decent effort.

17. shoota70 Jun 29, 2015

18. peatnick Jun 29, 2015

lwong likes this.
  19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 29, 2015

Nope definitely real, Squale wouldn't be trying to copy it if it weren't, they have a Pan Am engraving on the caseback too

[​IMG]

20. shoota70 Jun 29, 2015

Well if its on the internet then it must be true.