Forums Latest Members
  1. Mr Bing Jun 22, 2016

I'm mainly a watch on bracelet guy but lately I've been experimenting with different strap combinations.

Both watches that I've changed recently have 20mm lug widths. Getting the bracelets off was tricky but manageable but adding/removing leather straps has been a piece of cake....almost too easy.

I seem to remember reading that when adding a strap it's a good idea to increase the size of the spring bars, in this case from 20 to 21mm.

I'm slightly worried that the smaller spring bars are inadequate because of the ease with which they come out with the Bergeon tool. So, basically, the question is - when replacing a bracelet with strap should you use slightly larger bars?

Thanks,
    Paul

2. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jun 22, 2016

It has been my experience to use the correct size spring bar ie 18mm bar for 18mm width case etc. 20mm etc A few times in a pinch I used too long a spring bar and they went on but getting them off in another story I had to take side cutters and cut the spring bar and ruin the strap
    Good Luck

Mr Bing likes this.
  3. ulackfocus Jun 22, 2016

Straps are ALWAYS easier to remove and install because they're flexible and can compress from side to side a little. Metal bracelets are not flexible in that way so will be harder to manipulate. Stay with the same spring bars unless after you install them they pop off when you give a tug on the strap while holding the watch case.

Vitezi, Giff2577 and Mr Bing like this.
  4. Mr Bing Jun 22, 2016

Thank you :)

5. yinzerniner Jun 22, 2016

Depends on the watch and springbars you're using.
    Speedy Pro bracelets are usually mounted with 19mm fitment spring bars as their easier to remove and the tight tolerances of the solid fitted end links provide extra security that will mitigate a lot of movement that could otherwise compromise the integrity and hold of the sprinbar. With that, 20mm fitment springbars are recommended for straps since the solid end links cannot be utilized.
    The problem with using larger springbars is depending on their design you can encounter two issues: they either might not compress enough for you to safely fit them into your lugs, or the lack of compression might make it very hard to remove them afterwards which could also lead to damage.
    Some springbars have larger center portions than others, which theoretically means they'll be stronger but will not compress as much. Also be cognizant of the end pin width - springbar diameter are usually either 1.8/1 widest/narrowest or 1.5/.8, so the narrower diameter springbars might provide a flimsier fit in the lug holes and in the strap.
    If you want to experiment just order a bunch of springbars at different sizes and diameters, bring a whole gaggle of masking and electrical tape and have at it. I wholly recommend user twente(o) on ebay as there's tons of different springbar options with excellent quality and low cost.

Edited Jun 22, 2016
    voere and Mr Bing like this.
  6. Mr Bing Jun 22, 2016

@yinzerniner Wow, that was a detailed response. Thanks for the helpful content and time put into that response. Much appreciated.
    The two watches in question are a Planet Ocean 42 and 2254.50 with speedy bracelet.

7. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jun 22, 2016

I have a pretty good assortment of spring bars. However how I get into trouble it might be late at night and I want to change a strap or bracelet and I am out of the proper size spring bar I will dig into my junk boxes and find a ragged out spring bar like the funky one in this picture as mentioned they come in various sizes and diameters Usually when I go to a supply house I pick up the sizes I need and have them on hand The spring bar closest to the watch will fit fine and be easy to get off the funky one is another story

asb.jpg