Forums Latest Members
  1. sevenhelmet Sep 4, 2017

I have an embarrassing problem...

I removed one side of the bracelet on my Speedmaster Pro (with no difficulty) to run it over a demagnetizer, and now I can't get the spring bar to compress enough inside the end-link to re-install the bracelet. The spring bar does not appear to be bent, and by itself I can compress it enough to easily fit it between the lugs. Yet for some reason, it will not compress enough while inside the end-link to get both sides down between the lugs. The end link fits between the lugs (it was in there until an hour ago and came out no problem), so that isn't the issue either.

-I have tried 3 separate spring bars in case one or two were defective, and they are all behaving the same way.

-Tried a very tiny amount of lube on the outside of the spring bar, thinking that it was binding inside the end-link somehow, but no change.

-Used as much force as I felt safe on the spring bar, but it's like it's bottoming out in a different place when installed in the end-link vs. by itself when it fits into the lugs no problem. Weird.

I've done plenty of strap changes on this watch, and until today, they took 2 minutes or less. This one side is kicking my butt for some unknown reason. I now have a Speedy bracelet that I can't install. What on Earth is going on here?

2. Shailor Sep 4, 2017

Can you compress them to the needed length outside of the head?

3. sevenhelmet Sep 4, 2017

Yep. I can even put the spring bars in by themselves, and compress them past the edges of the bracelet end-links when not between the lugs (e.g. to use a NATO strap, for example). But when I try to put all 3 together (spring bars in bracelet between lugs), they mysteriously won't compress that last 0.5mm or so (like they're bottomed out already). Went ahead and pulled off the other side, same problem. This watch recently came back from servicing... did they do something weird to it?

I gave up and put a leather strap with quick-release bars on it for the time being. The bracelet is set aside until I have time to get someone to look at it. Between dropping it, magnetizing it somehow, and now this, I'm starting to wonder if this watch is cursed. This sucks.

Edited Sep 4, 2017
    Speedmasterfan88 likes this.
  4. Shailor Sep 4, 2017

See if a number drill slides through without any resistance

5. sevenhelmet Sep 4, 2017

No resistance on a drill bit (not sure what size, it seemed to match and the next size up was clearly too large.)

Spring bars fall through with no resistance either.

Same problem when trying to install. I've never seen anything like this. All Omega original parts, including the bars.

:confused:

6. redpcar Sep 4, 2017

So you can install the spring bars alone easily? No bracelet/strap? You know that the spring bars are the correct size so the only potential problem is the shoulder is somehow hanging up on the bracelet or end link preventing it to compress fully.

7. sevenhelmet Sep 4, 2017

That's my best guess too. No idea what I can do about it though. More lube on the spring bars/inside the end links? Clean the inside of the end links with something?

8. redpcar Sep 4, 2017

Try all different angles when compressing......literally. Get the bracelet/end link to move one way or the other.

9. Shailor Sep 4, 2017

When you put them in the links outsid of the watch, do they compress fully? Is it just when you're trying to get the tips into the holes?

10. sevenhelmet Sep 4, 2017

Meanwhile, she lives on a cordovan I had in the drawer...

Speedy Cordovan.jpg

Smoothness and ras47 like this.
  11. sevenhelmet Sep 4, 2017

Affirmative. That's what's so annoying about this.

12. Shailor Sep 4, 2017

All I can think then is that the telescoping barrel is hanging up on something when it's a little crooked and being compressed. try inserting the larger diameter first then push down on the smaller diameter side second. That way, only the small barrel is moving.

13. sevenhelmet Sep 4, 2017

I think I understand what you mean. I tried "walking it in" on both ends, but unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work. The bar seems to bottom out in the last 0.5mm and refuses to compress any further.

One difference between putting the bar in by itself and installing it in the end-link is that I can put the bar all the way into the lug hole on one side before I compress the other side, e.g. it doesn't need to compress quite as much as when being installed on the end-link. Could servicing have somehow reduced the spacing between lugs slightly? Hard to imagine (I'd expect the reverse, or most likely no change at all), but this problem is taking me to crazy town.

Taking a break. Speedy looks great on the cordovan, and I got rave reviews from my wife when she saw me wearing it around this afternoon.

14. Shailor Sep 4, 2017

The only thing that I can figure is that when it's being compressed with some side loading on it ( not completely straight up and down) the pin jams up. The problem seems to be with the pins

15. ras47 Sep 4, 2017

Are you using a spring bar tool like the Burgeon 6767-F? I had trouble just like you're describing until I got the right tool.

16. sevenhelmet Sep 4, 2017

Using the Omega tool that's bundled with the moonwatch. I can get a Burgeon tool, but you'd think from Omega would be all right (it used to be... until today).

17. sevenhelmet Sep 4, 2017

So, I found a work around, if not a complete solution: After-market spring bars. I examined some of my non-Omega spring bars, and they appeared to compress slightly more than the Omega ones do. So, I tried them, and presto! The bracelet goes right on. Set aside 2 of them to use with it from now on. Still, strange that the Omega ones don't seem to fit anymore...

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

On the LEFT is the aftermarket spring bar. You can clearly see the outer barrel is slightly shorter, and does not have the small groove at either end as compared to the Omega original spring bar on the RIGHT. The pin flanges are also notably smaller, which makes them slightly more difficult to remove, but also less likely to catch on part of the end-links during installation.

I'm still perplexed by this issue ::confused2:: , but at least I can once again wear my Speedy on the bracelet. :cool:

Edited Sep 4, 2017
  18. Shailor Sep 4, 2017

Nice! Please post a link for the seller.

19. sevenhelmet Sep 4, 2017

Eh? There wasn't a "seller" per se. The extra bars came off a Hirsch strap I had in my parts drawer.

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 4, 2017

Unless you have inadvertently mixed up strap and bracelet spring bars, the bars that were in there will work if they aren't damaged. Not sure using cheap aftermarket bars is a good alternative to getting the Omega bars back in. The more flimsy construction will certainly make them easier to install, but it's not "the" solution.

What is the uncompressed length of the Omega bars you removed?

Cheers, Al

noelekal, marco and frazierspa like this.