Forums Latest Members

Spera Chronograph information request

1. Ebuster Aug 9, 2018

Hi, I have a Spera chronograph that I have been unable to find any real information on. My knowledge of watches is pretty limited and with the expertise on this forum i am hoping to fill in some gaps. My searches have only revealed that Spera originated in Tramelan outside Geneva, possibly from around 1920. I have seen a few examples of mid fifties Spera posters and a smattering of basic 2/3 hand watches and some 60/70's vintage 2 register chronographs.

The watch appears to be in good working condition and appearance, ~36mm case size ex crown. The sweep hand snaps back to 12 nicely. I seem to recall that I had the watch serviced/crystal replaced and put it on a leather band around 15 years ago. The only references I have come across in my searches refer to Landeron movements, but a watchmaker who opened the case said he thought it was a Le mania movement.
    If possible, I would like to know the likely vintage, movement type and any general comments and feedback. I wouldn't mind some idea of the value if someone has an idea.
    I have included below some pics of the watch, thanks in anticipation.

IMG_2905.JPG IMG_2906.JPG IMG_2907.JPG IMG_2909.JPG IMG_2911.JPG
  2. septentrio Aug 9, 2018

Beautiful original piece! Due to the arrowhead markers I would date it end 1950s. The movement is a rather rare bird, the Landeron 349! If you look closely, you can see the number under the balance wheel ;)

The case will be either gold plated or gold filled.

Spera is a brand of some interest to the Dutch collectors, as they made some Koninklijke Marine (KM) watches back in the day.

S.KocherGuy likes this.
  3. GuiltyBoomerang Aug 9, 2018

Yup, rare movement in there. Differentiation between this and and a Lemania 1873 (or Omega Cal 861) is the cam-lever setup. Apart from relumed hands, it looks great!

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 9, 2018