Forums Latest Members
  1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 23, 2012

I started this on WUSOF, but as some of our members don't get over there I'll share it here.

Cheers

Jim

It was 39.5 degrees C outside today, far too hot for anything strenuous so I grabbed an old Genève I picked up on eBay about 18 months ago. While the case and dial were in nice nick, the movement was dodgy, the mainspring had departed company with the barrel arbor.

Last week I was lucky enough to win a 601 movement on the bay for $72 which I was going to strip for parts, it turned out to be from an Omega pocket watch and it was in pristine condition and working like a charm. On the Timegrapher and it was ticking like a bomb and -1 Second/day.

So on a stinking hot Sunday, I settled down and stripped the Geneve, popped in a new crystal, lightly cleaned the case and then fitted the original dial and hands to the new movement. Into the case and closed it up, I was almost there but thought it was lacking something. I had a JB Champion mesh I was going to use on my Speedie but decided to go with the OEM mesh so this was an orphan. Only trouble was that it was a 20mm bracelet, the Geneve is 18mm. So out to the garage and out with the Dremel. Ten minutes later and I had an 18mm JBC for my newly restored Geneve. The dial has aged nicely from it's original silver to an even light grey tone and with the bracelet, it's ready for another fifty years.

Anyway, thats how I spent Sunday arvo so it's out with the camera and off to the courtyard for some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And of course, the obligatory "10:10" shot.

[​IMG]

dsio likes this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 23, 2012

Looks clean as! Was stinking hot up here in Brisbane too, not as bad as 39C but it was humid and 34C here :\

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 23, 2012

That Genève looks very happy. :)

4. ulackfocus Dec 23, 2012

Nice job. :thumbsup: