Speedy Tuesday ST1 - DIY frankenstein bracelet project

I picked up an ST1 Speedy Tuesday earlier this year and tried it on 3 different straps (the original black and white NATO, original brown leather, and black and white Snoopy textile) and haven't really loved any of them. I typically prefer metal bracelets over fabric or leather straps so I set out to find a bracelet to try out. I looked at all of the options that some of the other forum members posted in the really long (10+ pages) Speedy Tuesday thread. Some decent options/inspiration there, most notably the Omega 1171 bracelet. But having handled one of those previously (and having to file the endlinks down to fit) I wasn't sold on that bracelet being the right fit for my ST1.

Uncle Seiko had some good options...which lead me to come up with the idea of modifying existing production parts to get a combination of exactly what I hoping to find. After spending way too much on his site, comparing all the specs on all of his different bracelets, I settled on the 1162 style bracelet. This one had links with similar style as the 1171, but a tad thicker (3.5mm vs. 3.1mm) which I would hope give the bracelet a bit more substantial feel on the wrist.
I paired that with some solid enlinks from his Soyuz style bracelet.

Once the parts arrived, I measured the tapered links on the bracelet and determined that I would need to remove the straight endlink + the first 3 tapered links to get down to a link with a starting taper of less than 20mm. Separating the links was easy enough and now I just needed to figure out how to match the exposed center link on the 1162 bracelet with the Soyuz style solid endlink. Once exposed, the hole in the center link measured about 1.5mm. The spring bar was about 1.75mm, so I decided to use a 1.8mm drill bit for the final pass through the center link. After some trial and error with my drill press, and a few 'beta test' center links (some of which came out discolored from too much heat from the drill bit), I was ready to drill the center link that was still connected to the bracelet, so it would accept the correct size spring bar for the Soyuz solid endlink.

Once that was done and I confirmed the spring fitment through both the endlink and bored out center link, I shaved the ears off of the SEL. Shaving the ears off of the SEL was not necessary to install on the case, but removing the ears eliminates the marks that they leave over time on the backside of the lugs. Finally it was ready for installation! I was very pleased with the overall fitment, and feel, especially for a DIY mod.
The brushed finish on the bracelet is close, but not an exact match to the brushed finish on the ST1 case. I might send the bracelet out to my watch maker at some point for a professional brush down to get it even more matte.
Now I have everything I was looking for in a bracelet: SEL, tapered bracelet width, brushed finish, with a link style that's very close to the 1171.

20240914_153155.jpg

20240914_153242.jpg

20240914_153320.jpg

20240914_153412.jpg
Edited: