Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tuesday Limited Edition - A few words

1. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Jan 10, 2017

Dear friends and readers,

I am more of a lurker here, but I do follow things of course. Much of how the watch came to life has been said in our article on Fratello Watches, but I wanted to write something here on OF as well because I know a couple of you personally / quite well.

It has been a crazy week with some sleepless hours. "Will it sell?" "Will people like it?". I mean, we as a Fratello team liked it (and Omega as well of course), but perhaps we are not entirely representative for the market ;-)

Everything was set for today at noon European time, so at least other continents would see it on a Tuesday as well. And since noon today, life is not the same and I am not exaggerating. For now, to my best knowledge, it has not been sold out yet (not even 5 hours after launch), but the interest is huge and the smaller the number of watches that remain, the more difficult it will get to 'lock' into your favorite number(s).

It is a lifetime achievement for me personally and for the team as well. Besides being watch journalists, running a serious on-line watch magazine, we love watches and we love the Speedmaster. That's not something other brands like to see, but it is what it is. The passion for the Speedmaster is what got me into watches in the first place, and that probably goes for a lot of you guys as well. It is therefore more than rewarding that this Speedy Tuesday limited edition is now a fact (it is on my wrist as we speak) and that a lot of people seem to love it. It is a dream come true and a massive thank you to OMEGA for embracing the idea of 'our' own limited edition to celebrate 5 years of Speedy Tuesday.

I noticed in the other thread that someone asked what numbers I ordered myself. I have ordered 13/2012 (13th of April is my birthday, but 13 is also a number I just fancy and I also have a 13/1970 Snoopy) and 315/2012. 31/5 is the birthday of my little daughter, I think it will be nice if my wife can wear it every now and then and my daughter will have it later on.

Oh, I am also very happy to see that a lot of you like it of course and that it gets so much attention here. I also love the fact that my colleagues of Hodinkee, Ablogtowatch, Mono, SJX, Revolution, WatchTime, Time and Tide etc. all picked it up. Some are competitors, some aren't, but most important, we are all in the same job and with many of them I have a very good (personal) relationship.

Thanks all! You are #SpeedyTuesday

image1.JPG

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 10, 2017

Well done mate and congrats, can't wait to wear my #1039!

nonuffinkbloke, Pun and Robert-Jan like this.
  3. fibonacci086 Jan 10, 2017

Congratulations !
    Looking forward to wear mine as well

nonuffinkbloke and Robert-Jan like this.
  4. jasonrchua Jan 10, 2017

Congrats bud! Really excited to get the watch! The hardest part now is the waiting.

5. repoman Jan 10, 2017

The sales speak for themselves, congratulations.

6. E-diddy Jan 10, 2017

Congrats, Robert-Jan. It was well received. You should feel proud. It's been sold out from my perspective for the past hour. I missed out being on the west coast in the U.S.

7. blokk Jan 10, 2017

Congrats Robert. Beautiful watch.

8. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Jan 10, 2017

It isn't yet. But the lower the available numbers are, the bigger the chances everything gets 'locked' for a while. Keep trying. :)

9. LawBrk Jan 10, 2017

That's the plan for the day. My virtual refresh button will be exhausted. Wonderful design, your hard work is evident! Congrats RJ!

Robert-Jan likes this.
  10. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jan 10, 2017

Robert-Jan, sincere congratulations. Everything about this from the design to the reservation system to the price has been done with the online community's interest in mind. You and your team should be very proud. :)

11. Bushido Jan 10, 2017

Congratulations on this amazing achievement @Robert-Jan!! The watch is absolutely stunning! I am also on the west coast and woke up to see the email announcement from Omega. While my first objective (even above coffee!!!) was to reserve one for myself, it's also unavailable for me too on the US west coast. I think you can rest assured this watch's popularity is bona fide!

12. ar.parask13 Jan 10, 2017

I ordered it very early on! Went online and thought: I was born on the 13th people hate the 13 so I will choose 13... now I know why I could not get it!!
    Next thought 113... taken...
    Then 213. Thankfully that was available and if you rearrange the numbers you get 321... so quite proud of this!
    Congrats Robert-Jan a beautiful watch and certainly a future classic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jan 10, 2017

14. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 10, 2017

Well done Robert, I hope you are as proud of this watch as we are of you! :thumbsup:

15. Maganator Jan 10, 2017

Congratulations!

It actually looks like the hands are brushed steel as well in some of the shots - is that correct?

16. ulackfocus Jan 10, 2017

Robert-Jan, you and Omega sure nailed the timing right! Just before the onslaught of Watch Buying Season. :thumbsup:

17. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 10, 2017

Congrats RJ! Ive ordered 1267 and my brother has 1955 iirc.

Huge credit to you and the team for the hard work you put in, not just for Speedy Tuesday but on all the articles.

Rgds

D

18. Tritium Jan 10, 2017

Thank you Robert:thumbsup:
    Beautiful design and great job!
    I thought you would have chosen #1977

19. dkpw Jan 10, 2017

I know what you mean with the 321 reference. :)

[​IMG]
    Anyway I would like to add my congratulations to Robert-Jan for working to produce such a beautiful watch, for me the first Speedmaster LE that I like enough to go for. I'm sure it will be a future and famous classic!

20. Pun Jan 10, 2017

Yes dear you've said what I too wished to say. Mine is 937/2012 and waiting till summer shall be a test of patience for most of us I know.

Robert-Jan likes this.