Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tuesday - buy now or wait and hope prices fall

1. uberwatchn00b Jan 26, 2018

Hi all,

Like many folks on this thread, I am a big fan of the Speedy Tuesday, and am considering taking the plunge for my first Speedmaster purchase. My question for the group is, is my best bet to bite the bullet and buy now at the price folks are reselling for (I believe generally ~$8k), or do folks think that there will be used Speedy Tuesdays floating around in a year or two (vs brand new or nearly new) that may allow me to save a few bucks, or would you expect the opposite dynamics here (or just stable prices). Any insight or opinions folks may have would be appreciated.

Thanks

fskywalker likes this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 26, 2018

They are still trickling out from Omega. I don’t see the price dropping for at least a year. Not sure what will happen but I expect a trajectory closer to the Snoopy.

SpeedyPhill and sdre like this.
  3. abrod520 Jan 26, 2018

It's possible the Speedy Tuesday could go down in value, but given that previously affordable LEs like the Gemini IV, Japan Racing 2004 and Apollo XI 35th Anniversary are appreciating steeply these days, I wouldn't expect the ST to depreciate much further before beginning to appreciate again. There's a lot of attention being paid to the Speedmaster now, and likely even more so in the next few years as we reach the 50th anniversaries of the Apollo missions, so I expect this will have an effect on values of vintage and the more sought-after limited-edition Speedmasters.

4. apm1 Jan 26, 2018

Difficult to say. At present there are no elements to believe prices will drop. But we don't have the crystal ball.
    Bottomline buy it if you like it..

Paedipod likes this.
  5. kwiklot Jan 26, 2018

My Crystal ball is hazzy

apm1 likes this.
  6. pianomankd Jan 26, 2018

This.

7. Toishome Jan 26, 2018

Price is only going up when all the people that wanted a quick profit sell. Once that is done I expect the price to go up and up.
    Personally I think the ST is much more superior to the snoopy and we all know how much that cost now ::facepalm2::

8. N1CK Jan 26, 2018

Impossible to say, but based on the trends of the past 5 years - which so no sign of slowing down - you’d have to think it will at least hold its current value over time.

There does seem to be a glut of STs on offer for resale currently, maybe up to 100 out of 2012, which will stop the price rising while so many are available for resale. From what little I can tell they seem to be selling at around £5.6k, and as I imagine these 50-100 sellers are all flippers it’s possible the price may drop a little while these flippers look to offload. However I wouldn’t have thought it’d drop that much, and when they’re all flipped based on the current market I’d expect the price to rise again because the supply will have gone.

But that’s simply based on what we know now. It’s entirely possible that the watch collecting market could entirely fall apart, or Omega could flood the market with a non-LE reverse panda Speedy that destroys demand for 2nd hand ST LEs.

My gut tells me this is one heck of a good looking watch, and so will always be in demand. And with the initial rush/hype over and many flippers looking to offload now is probably the best time to get hold of one.

9. jberb55 Jan 26, 2018

First Speedy? Buy an original, then get one of upcoming LEs at MSRP. Make sure to get an email address and check it often at odd hours. Don’t feed the scalpers. Maybe they’ll go away.

isaac.owen.nz likes this.
  10. uberwatchn00b Jan 26, 2018

Also, any recommendations for best places to look here? Had assumed watchrecon, but was unsure if there is a further subset out there per the reference to 50 to 100 sellers (although realize this may just be citing additional watches expected to be posted).

Thanks!

11. uberwatchn00b Jan 26, 2018

Fair, but the ST just looks so nice! Also, not sure I follow the get an email address and check it often at odd hours advice - I have multiple email addresses (work and home) and do check them at odd hours already!

12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 26, 2018

What's this email address ??
    ST was on the Omega website once it was released by Frattello watches

Got mine this week. Very nice bit of kit in the flesh I must say. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

lando, murph, frazierspa and 3 others like this.
  13. abrod520 Jan 26, 2018

I believe he means the upcoming release alluded to in the latest round of Speedy Tuesday update emails

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 26, 2018

Did find out from a very reliable source that there will be another Mother Ship release like the Speedy Tuesday this year. So say all that bought the ST and people who were on the waiting list will be notified when it drops.

Theognosis and efauser like this.
  15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 26, 2018

They pretty much admitted it in an email stating people on the waiting list would get first crack at it.

16. omegadave Jan 26, 2018

A used ST is your best chance at a lower price - right now.

BNIB is likely to sit around retail value for a while then climb as new stock eventually gets flipped over to collectors.

The wild card variable here is if Omega releases an even hotter Speedy Tuesday 2 watch that would push ST1 values down.

Flippers expecting to break 10k are going to have to sit and hold for a long time imo...

In conclusion: no one knows.

Edited Jan 26, 2018
    isaac.owen.nz and Foo2rama like this.
  17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 26, 2018

People that bought the ST recieved a similar email ;) Think everyone will get a email at once when it gets released.

watchme likes this.
  18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 26, 2018

Nope... and the email was technically a bit vague... it had just enough wiggle room to cover them if no other special edition drips.

19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 26, 2018

"Amongst the first to know" sounds pretty much like at the same time to me.

20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 26, 2018

Of 2032 x5 examples at 5k would have full filled that email.

It also could mean your officially on the Omega email list now and you’ll get the email at the same time as everyone else as we press embargoed it for 24 hours post the email.

I’m not holding my breath for waiting list people to get first crack on a new LE Speedy. This especially bugs me as it was announced 2or 3 am my time and sold out in less then 2 hours.

I think we are saying the same thing.

STANDY likes this.