Forums Latest Members
  1. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jun 8, 2019

I've watched asking prices for the ST1 since the original delivery phase. The variance has been substantial, e.g. £5,350 in July 2017, up to £7,950 last November. Recently the range £6,250 to £6,500 seems to have been about average. So interesting today to see an open auction on eBay completed, with an unworn/full set example fetching £5,600, (4 bids).
    ST108-06-19.jpg

2. lillatroll Jun 8, 2019

Hard to guage off the back of one recent sale. For all we know they could be hitting 10k or 3k by Christmas. At least it is not negative value. Personally it reinforces the old adage about buying because you like a watch not because you hope to make big money off it. That's just a nice bonus.

DiiQue, connieseamaster and davy26 like this.
  3. CJpickup57 Jun 8, 2019

I will never actively sell mine. However, first $100,000 offered to me for mine can have it :p.

I do not see that one listed in the sold/completed listings...

4. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jun 8, 2019

Yes, I agree. I immediately made up my mind to keep mine and have have passed it to my son. I think all the earlier, obsessive focus on prices being obtained by flippers was quite unseemly. Interestingly, there is a similar mania apparent now for the Tintin, in amongst which all idea of pleasure in aesthetics/ownership is apparently disregarded as a lust for ever increasing value takes over as the most important concern.

5. lillatroll Jun 8, 2019

The Tin Tin thing is interesting. It's a nice watch but at the same time, something seems a bit manufactured about its price hike, whether that was accidental or intentional I can t comment on. The Alaska is another case in point. Perhaps we should buy ugly watches like that speedmaster that looks like a coin. Probably going to sky rocket in price next week.

6. CJpickup57 Jun 8, 2019

That would just be beyond baffling if that happens.

lillatroll likes this.
  7. ext1 Jun 8, 2019

Tintin - I remember reading a Fratello article on how it’s an underappreciated and rare watch and how people should buy one while it’s still affordable.

I thought hmm.. what if it really does hike... and then what do you know next.. :rolleyes:

8. amiga500 Jun 8, 2019

I hope so, I just bought one :thumbsup:

rominvicta and lillatroll like this.
  9. Ian_km Jun 9, 2019

It was a EBay UK auction, I was watching that one too, wasn’t the best pictures etc

10. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 9, 2019

ST1s crop up now and then on TZ-UK in the mid £5k region. That seems to be the price they have settled at there. There is one on there right now for £5,250 which is maybe priced to sell quickly. There was another on there a couple of weeks ago up at circa £5,500. This was bought then immediately flipped on eBay for £6,100 by an ‘enterprising’ character, also a member here who shall remain nameless but is getting a roasting over there for it.

Sellers can ask what they want of course. I would expect the ST2 to find buyers at a broadly similar but slightly lower £750-£1,250 over the RRP but neither attract silly mega premiums, regardless of what some sellers will ask.

The thing with the ST1 is that the brushed finish, once marked can’t be easily improved by an amateur so a worn one will look, well, worn. Polished finishes as seen on other models can be given a light buff with a CC to make look new again. The Great White GMT is the same, which is why I am reluctant to wear mine too much now its mint.

Edited Jun 9, 2019
  11. fskywalker Jun 11, 2019

They went originally up, then went down and lately had started to go up again. I sold mine brand new quickly after getting it (several months after being released) and made some profit on it but not as big as others got immediately upon release (my number was high). Cool watch but too much $$ for just a different dial and case finish

Edited Jun 11, 2019
  12. CJpickup57 Jun 11, 2019

FIFY :thumbsup: ha ha. Just poking fun.

I can see where some would think the same. Just another example of personal taste and I respect your review of it.

But really, that lume though ::love::

8AEA2AF7-72A3-451E-A2E8-F5C9DE674E0F.jpeg

WatchShopping and fskywalker like this.
  13. krh7 Jun 11, 2019

does that dial lume look cheap in person? like a timex?

14. CJpickup57 Jun 11, 2019

No, but my cell phone camera sure does make it look that way unfortunately. There are MUCH better photos in a google search for it from Omega and press releases and such.

15. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 12, 2019

Really? I found the lume pretty disappointing, as it is on all Speedies. The plots aren’t big enough to be truly bright and the dial rings which are a nice stylistic touch were more a gimmick as they were only really bright when pumped with UV.

I think your photo is fine but in real use the lume is average at best. If you want strong lume get a 2254.

MTROIS, ext1 and CJpickup57 like this.
  16. ext1 Jun 12, 2019

I concur, it's not like it's strong enough to last through a movie (did not last through Avengers at all). More like a cool gimmick

Watchco SM300 though... now that, is a Christmas tree...

fskywalker, CJpickup57 and padders like this.
  17. CJpickup57 Jun 12, 2019

I didn’t know we were speaking of brightness and longevity, my apologies. I was speaking on coolness factor and IMO, it’s a pretty dang cool gimmick :cool:.

I do agree with you guys @padders @ext1 it doesn’t last very long and is not as bright as my AT by any means. My AT lume is very noticeable. Just walking from the car into a store in daylight (of course it was gaining during the drive as well, but it doesn’t take much TBH) and it lights up like Christmas once I am inside and lasts for quite a while.

ext1 and padders like this.
  18. griz84 Jun 12, 2019

I had a ST1 and loved it. I moved it on after a year in which I wore it allot, traded for a new regular speedy and a birth year datejust. I thought it was a great deal :)

19. pianomankd Jun 12, 2019

You mean, the 3 hour plus Avengers movie? lol

fskywalker likes this.