Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tuesday – How The Speedmaster Silver Snoopy Paved The Way For Speedy Speculators

1. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Jun 19, 2018

[​IMG]
    In 2015, the Speedmaster Silver Snoopy Award watch was introducing during BaselWorld. A watch that sold out in one day at the show, to Omega’s network of dealers and boutiques. This watch commemorated the 1970 Apollo 13 mission where the Speedmaster played a very important role in the safe return of astronauts Swigert, Lovell and […]

Visit Speedy Tuesday – How The Speedmaster Silver Snoopy Paved The Way For Speedy Speculators to read the full article.

2. larryganz The cable guy Jun 19, 2018

Stop making me regret selling mine!

3. pianomankd Jun 19, 2018

Happy Speedy Tuesday ya'll!

IMG_2194.jpg

4. ulackfocus Jun 19, 2018

You'll be saying "Phew! Thank God I sold mine before the crash!" in a few years. :p ::stirthepot::

giphy.gif

ICONO, gemini4 and larryganz like this.
  5. OhMegaMan Jun 19, 2018

The day the crash happen is when all people stop wearing mechanical wristwatch

Alex06, kov, Robert-Jan and 1 other person like this.
  6. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jun 19, 2018

High priced Omega watches = lots of talk about Omega in the auction & watch aficionados world... in the news and online of course.
    For real OmegaHolics it's about time Omega sets up an online ordering service but for the sentence here above, it won't happen :thumbsdown:

7. sevenhelmet Jun 19, 2018

Hey, some Tintin love! I like it. :cool:

8. cimo Jun 19, 2018

I have hang ups about modern LE Omegas. It's the same gripe Rolex guys have about the limited availability of desirable modern pieces like the new GMT and Daytonas. These watches have high secondary market value solely because of tightly controlled production and distribution. I guess you could argue the limited availability of antiques/vintage watches is the exact same thing, but I would argue they are not equivalent. One is intentional, the other is a result of a natural process. Just my feeling (and a feeling is all it is).

9. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Jun 19, 2018

You realize they already do sell online?

pianomankd and bloomy like this.
  10. Braindrain Jun 19, 2018

That was a good read. Should've bought the tintin myself, thought prices would stay bottomed out for a while.

11. Riviera Paradise Jun 20, 2018

I think the Speedy LE price increase has been a positive for Omega fans...knowing that your watch is valued by other collectors does provide some satisfaction I suppose. There will always be a highly sought after Speedy LE every two years, so just wait cash in hand and get the "next one":).

From what I have seen the Speedy LE appreciation has not trickled down to standard non-LE models. It does amaze me that the DSOTM and other 9300/9900 derived models (eg. new Racing) can be purchased on the preowned market at +40% discount.

I am curious to see how Omega roll-out the new DSOTM skeleton Apollo 8...they should really restrict supply for that model...I think it should be a boutique only sale. Although it is a controversial piece, I can certainly see it being collectible...well at least if Omega do not dump thousands of them on the grey market.

12. airansun In the shuffling madness Jun 20, 2018

@Robert-Jan :

Great article, as usual!

Love my Apollo 11 45th. Got it for $6.8k when I spotted it on the website of a major US dealer, full set and flawless, less than six months ago. When I saw what they were asking, I had to move on it.

D9FB1FE5-7B64-46BE-829D-ADCC26E2DB0B.jpeg
    EB27A350-1FCC-4C7C-9554-551F7626FF28.jpeg

Never know what deal you might stumble upon.

drhex, frazierspa, dscoogs and 3 others like this.
  13. repoman Jun 20, 2018

I just got a good look at this piece and had the exact same concern. It retails at $10k USD, and it’s not limited. The only potentially good news here is that Omega top brass admit they screwed up the “Sides of the Moon” with too many models. They stopped short of admitting it was a mistake to dump as many *Sides watches into the market as fast as they could sell them, dramatically eroding secondary value. The Apollo 8 should have been a LE.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  14. Perseus Jun 20, 2018

As a big Speedmaster fan I'm pretty bummed out that I wasn't able to get a few of the limited editions before the prices skyrocketed.

15. Bushido Jun 20, 2018

I was also surprised the Apollo 8 is not an LE. I had the recent opportunity to try it on and it is a nice piece. The open work on the watch is a lot of fun. However, as a DSOTM fan, it's too similar and I wasn't moved to own both.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  16. Riviera Paradise Jun 20, 2018

Good to know they are starting to wake up to secondary market pricing, but Omega did launch a Speedy Blue Side of the Moon Moonphase during the last 12 months if I recall, so perhaps they are still on a learning curve:)

I for one am actually quite pleased the Apollo 8 was not a LE:) for the following reason: I do not plan to buy a new Speedy until seeing the 2019 / Apollo 11 50th releases, so if nothing takes my fancy in 2019, I will still be able to get the Apollo 8 DSOTM next year or further down the road. By then we should have some idea as to how this Apollo 8 is behaving in the grey / secondary market and whether any new colour variations are forthcoming. The fact they have not made it a LE, does raise the suspicion that there might be some variations down the road...I can't see Omega investing in setting up the necessary machinery and processes for a continuous long production run just for one model.

Bushido and red crowned like this.
  17. dscoogs Jun 27, 2018

It appeared that the one offered by Govberg initially for 27.9k and then lowered to 25k or so has been sold.

frazierspa likes this.
  18. BLAUGRANA Jun 27, 2018

That was my watch. Well for less than a week it was. I got it from the very seller and made the mistake of returning it. Nearly repurchased before you did. It's a fantastic piece and it was in "like new" condition. The extra strap too... Excellent deal on that one. I returned it because I'd just paid the balance on my 60th Anniversary Speedy and also new I had to quickly hunt down a Speedy Tuesday. I always not happy with work and that gave me pause to buy that many pieces in that period of time. I regret that one. Anyway, glad to see it went to another forum member and to what sounds like a good home where someone really is enjoying it. Just pay it forward with a PM if you ever seen a deal like that again. Oddly enough there were two more on the market at two other major grey dealers, one of which wasn't much more than what you paid. The other was a bit higher, but when I tried a quick flip of your watch that second grey dealer lowballed me so bad that I may never buy from them again. He admitted, assuming he was being honest, that they didn't even know the significance of the watch.

airansun likes this.
  19. jberb55 Jun 29, 2018

Cool flipper story bro.

20. BLAUGRANA Jun 29, 2018

It's not a "flipper story", "bro".