Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tuesday – Hands-On With The Speedmaster Moonphase Co-Axial Master Chronometer in...

1. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Apr 25, 2016

[​IMG]
    A few Speedy Tuesdays ago, we showed you the new Omega Speedmaster Moonphase Co-Axial Master Chronometer collection, except for the version in platinum. This limited edition of 57 pieces only (referring to 1957, the founding year of the Speedmaster collection), with a case made of platinum, using red liquidmetal(tm) for its bezel and has a platinum […]

The post Speedy Tuesday – Hands-On With The Speedmaster Moonphase Co-Axial Master Chronometer in Platinum appeared first on Fratello Watches.

Travelller and CTS-V like this.
  2. sky21 Apr 25, 2016

So what is the process that Omega will use to vet the lucky 57 people who get to shell out $50,000 for this platinum speedy? Any ideas?

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 25, 2016

love that little loupe on the date subdial!

Baz9614, Foo2rama and gostang9 like this.
  4. Bushido Apr 25, 2016

Am I correct that the other moon phase releases do not possess the magnification part on the date subdial? If so, a nice addition. However, that plus being platinum is not worth the extra $40k kind of addition...

Tiny Iota likes this.
  5. jcs2000 Apr 25, 2016

The larger issue is the crazy hypoxic red color scheme.
    This teen wolf alpha edition is simply a no go.

6. gostang9 Apr 25, 2016

...somewhere deep in Swatch Group HQ someone has already proposed an LE within an LE run as one of the only ways to increase the number of "collectible-intent" productions.

..."see boss, I was thinking... We could make 5.7, errrr, 6 of the 57 with a red bezel and BLACK writing..."

sky21 likes this.
  7. sky21 Apr 25, 2016

Do you secretly work for the marketing department at Omega??

8. gostang9 Apr 25, 2016

I can respect that as a for-profit corporation Omega is trying to achieve an effective method of "graduated pricing" whereby they can sell at different price points along the product demand curve. If they intended to sell "unlimited" versions of each different model, they couldn't achieve as high a price point for each new variant as when they make them "limited".

The real challenge must be getting the run quantity right in anticipating demand properly so they can set the number at Demand minus one. In the case where the LE run number is tied to a meaningful number (i.e. 57 from 1957), they have to properly select from the proposed models in the pipeline and allocate to the right opportunity.

When they have a situation like the SNOOPY LE, there must be a few in the back room arguing "I told you that would be a bigger hit and so we should have saved it for a higher quantity event number!". In a run like that they missed the mark and could have made more profit by either increasing the run quantity or increasing the MSRP.

Oh, and I'm not smart or brave enough to be a true marketeer, those guys have to make decisions BEFORE they know what's going to happen in the market. Seated firmly in my Quarterback chair this fine Monday, it's much easier to offer cheap commentary AFTER the fact... and with no skin in the game... ;)

blufinz52 likes this.
  9. gostang9 Apr 25, 2016

If I had $46k USD burning a hole in my pocket and the only solution to quench the burn would be to purchase a single piece of horological wonder, I can't see this model being the one I'd go to. I'm not particularly impressed by "precious metals" for a look that isn't altogether very different than what can be had from SS (but then I suspect this changes as one progresses closer to the 0.1%ile income bracket).

I also am not awed as much by the moon complication. It is impressive to be sure, but I imagine a piece like this is more desirable for those who already have an impressive collection of watches I don't yet possess. What I wonder, is whether those who are in the market at this price point see Omega as a go-to brand in comparison to the PP/AP/etc range.

10. billyblue Apr 26, 2016

Yes, that's not the point here. As cool as having a family, saving for twenty years and then go out and buy A WATCH would be, that's not going to happen. Ever.

There are enough different types of rich people (me and you are neither of them). This is a watch for those who go for the pimped out Bentayga, a pink Rolls-Royce, a Swarowski diamond cladded Lamborghini or the leopard skin Hublot.

11. tyrantlizardrex Apr 26, 2016

1 - Look at man asking to buy watch.

2 - Does man look incurably wealthy?

3 - Does man/man's bodyguard have cash/credit card?

4 - Sell man Watch.

5 - Laugh all the way to the bank.

Edited Apr 26, 2016
  12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 26, 2016

1 Have 50K and want one.

Flingit1200s and sky21 like this.
  13. tyrantlizardrex Apr 26, 2016

14. abrod520 Apr 26, 2016

Even the regular steel one is still too expensive for a minor-dial-variation-and-caseback-job. If it were the same price nowadays as the 3570s, I might like one for the small touches of red though

Illiknight and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 26, 2016

Didn't notice that until you pointed it out, that's actually a really cool / smart little detail

16. meganfox17 Apr 26, 2016

Hey ![emoji3] I know somebody in the forum who would be genuinely interested in owning the LE Platinum Speedy Moonphase MC[​IMG]

Miss_Bourginskay likes this.
  17. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 26, 2016

Never judge a book by its cover is what i always say. I have 2 clients that dress like they don't have a pot to piss in, one is worth £900m and the other about £5 BILLION and to look at them you would never tell. One drives a std bmw the other owns a 65m super yacht, helicopter and a global express jet. Both just wear jeans and a shirt most of the time.

Flingit1200s likes this.
  18. tyrantlizardrex Apr 26, 2016

2 - Contact Darren... get accounts for prospect...

;)

What does one do with £5 Billion? After the Yacht/Helicopter/Jet? Are they actually a Bond Villain? Are you a henchman? So many questions.

Illiknight likes this.
  19. gostang9 Apr 26, 2016

I'm curious, what is it about this piece that makes you want it over other options at this price point?

20. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 26, 2016

One can do what the hell one likes with 5 Bill!

Nitzbar and tyrantlizardrex like this.