Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tintin information gathering

1. Dwix Jul 7, 2019

My box and paperwork just sits in the closet. For my own edification, what difference does a hangtag make?

I think the wooden box is super nice. My watch was wrapped in plastic of sorts (which I may not have saved) but I don’t recall if there was a hang tag. But ya, how important is a hang tag? Just curious.

Lastly, I think a lot if people are like me and bought the watch before the craze hit and wear it regularly.

882F608C-69F3-49C1-820C-98F9BE5063D1.jpeg
    Redbirdsfan70, CTS-V, blubarb and 5 others like this.
  2. Whopperburgerbro Jul 7, 2019

@Foo2rama and @Dwix. Appreciate your input.

I will be wearing mine once i get it. Most likely a nice black racing strap.

It just perplexed me why so many sellers told me theirs didn't come with a hang tag in the first place. Hence, Im just wondering if its uncommon. Nevertheless, there is no harm paying a few hundred more to get a completed with hang tag. Nobody will know if that's what people look for in the future.

Once again, thanks for the replies.

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 7, 2019

Because full set does not include hang tag anymore and they want to be clear in the listing and not cause an issue when delivered.

Imho it makes little to no difference if it’s included or not esp if your going to wear the watch. It would only make a very small price difference if the watch is unworn.

blubarb and MTROIS like this.
  4. Dwix Jul 7, 2019

I just can’t get into the whole unworn watch idea. I get it, some people love collecting things and for them not using the thing adds value. Cars and motorcycles come to mind in a similar way. But seems ironic especially in the case of the speedmaster as it gained its fame from being used! (On the Moon).

Just curious (again) if one is looking for a pre-owned tintin to use and wear and enjoy, what difference does it make if it was worn or not? The extra money you pay for an un-worn example will be lost as soon as you use it, no?

blubarb likes this.
  5. Toishome Jul 7, 2019

The person that is looking for an unworn example most likely is not planning to wear it either ;)

6. Dwix Jul 7, 2019

A watch never worn never told the time...therefore, did it ever exist?

Redbirdsfan70, CTS-V, fergusm and 5 others like this.
  7. 10thSquare Jul 7, 2019

That first scratch was painful. Since then I've learned to love each one as my own.

8. ATWG Jul 7, 2019

I have a NOS with hang tag and wood box that I will be selling soon, if anyone is interested.

9. Dwix Jul 7, 2019

I’m the same way! I put some tiny scratches in the haselite(sp?) crystal and was like fu€! But I love that I think back to what I was doing when it happened and they’re my scratches and my experiences. I think that’s what it’s all about.

ReturnOfUltraman, 10thSquare and Pun like this.
  10. Miller Time II Jul 11, 2019

Order yourself some Polywatch off Amazon, it will clean up those scratches in the Hesalite crystal in no time at all.

11. Dwix Jul 11, 2019

Thanks for the tip! I will do that. The scratches are really light (but I know about them). So I just dab some on and rub out with a cloth?

Folks at the Omega Boutique were like “oh ya, this is nothing you’ll accumulate way more in time and when its time for a service when you bring it in we’ll take care of it.” But if I can take care of little scratches right now I will.

12. petay993 Jul 11, 2019

If the scratches are more than just surface marring you will need to generate a bit of heat by rubbing the polish in quite firmly, this is how the stuff works. Just keep checking regularly to avoid removing so much material that the optics are distorted (unlikely)

13. Miller Time II Jul 12, 2019

You got it! I recommend the poly watch kit, it has the cloth they recommend using. You mentioned light scratches Nd this will remove that easily. As Petay993 said, the bugger the scratch the more elbow grease to use.

Also keep in mind these crystals are considered wear items and they typically replace them during a full service... the Tintin is itself special but the crystal is easily replaceable.

14. Skipper_S Jul 12, 2019

What we can use for removing “hair line” scratches on bracelet?

15. elmar2001 Jul 12, 2019

Important: Mask the bezel. And use the polywach on the complete glass carefully and even. Otherwise you will have reflections and distortions. But it is not complicated. Just use it carefully and check more often than removing too much material. But even if this happens - a glass is not very expensive.

16. elmar2001 Jul 12, 2019

Do nothing, they will come back and this belongs to a watch. You can not avoid scratches.

Dwix likes this.
  17. Skipper_S Jul 12, 2019

Thanks!

Dwix likes this.
  18. Dwix Jul 13, 2019

I’m gonna get the polywatch goop to have it in case I put more scratches in the crystal to the point it starts annoying me. Right now my scratches are few and light enough that I don’t mind. Have I told you guys how much I love this watch!?

19. Neek U-neek. Get it? Jul 22, 2019

A nice leather strap helps that immensely. I prefer a black racing strap with red stitching.

The Father likes this.
  20. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jul 22, 2019

Something like this?

upload_2019-7-22_17-25-37.jpeg

CTS-V, xantiagib and wiem0014 like this.