Forums Latest Members

Speedy - tight crown when start winding

1. SOPHIS Jun 13, 2016

Hi,

I am a proud owner of a new speedmaster professional since half a year and this forum was quite helpful in finding answers to some of my questions which arose even before the purchase. However, I have a question now to which I couldn't find an answer here so hence my post.

My daily winding routine is to fully wind the watch in the morning until I reach the final stop position. Recently I noticed that in the morning when I want to start winding the crown is very tight, almost like it's stuck, and only after the first turn or so it moves smoothly.

I don't recall this being the case earlier. Did I overlook something, is this normal behaviour?

Thanks for your advise!

2. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Jun 13, 2016

Your daily winding routine is exactly the correct procedure to use.

More than likely the initial stiffness you feel is related to a drying crown/tube seal, as it dries out and as the rubber hardens (eventually to the hardness of plastic) the friction increases.

Have you tried first thing in the morning to pull the crown to the time setting position and noting how it feels? same resistance, less, more?

The watch is probably telling you it's time for a service, or at least some attention to the crown/tube.

Rob

3. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jun 13, 2016

On a 6 month old watch?

4. SOPHIS Jun 13, 2016

Thanks Rob for your feedback. But indeed, the watch is just 6 months old and was purchased at an AD. So I wonder if there is another explanation for this behaviour or if I should check-in with the AD again. I can check tomorrow morning how the crown behaves when pulled out to the time setting position as you suggested.

5. Dickie Jun 13, 2016

Mine does the same and it is also about 6 months old. I think that because the seals are designed to prevent water and dust out, when winding you feel resistance from the seals for the first few turns, then the lubrication kicks in. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

6. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Jun 13, 2016

Oops...

Sorry, I didn't see the year and a half comment, skimmed right over it...been a long day on the farm...

I still think it's the seal issue and lubrication of the seal causing the increase in sticktion/friction.

Hope the AD sorts it out for you.

7. peter-chiu Jun 16, 2016

Def not normal. Winding when there's nothing in the power reserve should feel smooth all and relatively the same amount of resistance until you feel it stop winding. Get it checked out

Stripey likes this.
  8. Dickie Jun 16, 2016

Depends on how hard it is to turn, I read the OP again and you say it is very tight almost like it's stuck? Mine is not like that, but there is a very slight noticeable resistance for the first couple turns then it's smooth as butter.

9. Tbruce May 29, 2021

Hi - first time posting. Read through the posts and didn’t see any conclusive closure to he original poster’s question with answers ranging from “it’s normal” to “definitely not normal.” Wondering if there’s been any additional owner experience in the last six years.

I’m observing the same thing on my 8-month old Speedmaster Professional that is worn daily. When new, winding was buttery smooth with very little resistance, but recently the winding stem has initially 1/4 to 1/2 turn of slight, but noticeably increased resistance. This is more apparent when turning the crown anti-clockwise since there is no resistance from the mainspring winding mechanism. Once “broken free” the crown rotates with the expected low resistance like when the watch was new. But, after not turning the crown for a couple of hours, the initial higher turning resistance is again evident.

My chief concern is whether water reistance has been compromised. I don’t swim or bathe with the watch, but I live in a high humidity climate and also want to make sure the movement is protected from daily exposures to rain and hand washing.

Any thoughts as to whether this is normal, or if I should take to an AD (under warranty) to be checked out?

M'Bob likes this.
  10. Stripey May 30, 2021

I wouldn’t think twice. You’ve bought a luxury good costing thousands, with massive margins, and part of that is being able to back and bother the Ad with something that might well turn out to be nothing. I’ve done this a couple of times, and each time it was something and they fixed it (not this exact issue). And if it isn’t nothing, they should be very practised at making you feel at ease and like it was the right thing to do, and if they’re not, time to find another one or buy on the grey market.

11. Mac-427 May 30, 2021

Hopefully it's not cross threaded.

12. M'Bob May 30, 2021

Can’t see how this could happen on a non-screw down crown.

blufinz52 likes this.
  13. M'Bob May 30, 2021

There are others far more well-versed in this than I, but it sounds like the crown gasket has gotten sticky, increasing its friction. Since you’re under warranty, if convenient, take it in and see what they say, and report back.

14. Tbruce May 31, 2021

Thanks for your perspective. Makes a lot of sense. Much appreciated!

15. Chris Lawton Aug 24, 2021

Hi all

I've had this issue too, on my 2003 Moonwatch. It's been service three times over the years and every time it comes back it's as smooth as butter. However within just a few months of wear it goes sticky and hard to turn in either direction; it even squeaks sometimes!. I'm certain it's not the keyless works etc but instead the crown gasket/s. It usually goes away after a while, generally if it isn't worn for week or two but inevitably returns.

I've queried this on other forums but got little response - other than to get it serviced (which I can't afford ever other month!). Similarly web searches have come up with nothing, except for Apple watches!

Any thoughts on how to make this problem go away would be appreciated. It's not a great advert for a luxury watch - unless it's just me with particularly sticky sweat!!

Cheers

Chris