Forums Latest Members
  1. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 20, 2017

Damn guys, the Speedy is a great watch but wake up and smell the roses!
    We may have to split up the forum into "Omega" and "Speedmaster".

Check out the Marine, or the Medicus, the Constellation and the famous 1000 chronometers, or the Brandts, the Neuchatel or other Observatory records, or the amazing stories that led to the Speedmaster!
    What fabulous innovation!

Check out the history in the great wars and the military, where many more lives were on the line than were in Apollo.

One line of a fantastic history in horology........but only one part.
    Let's expand and grow and not become one-dimensional.
    It sure seems like we are narrowing instead of expanding.

Tire-comedon, watchme, OMTOM and 24 others like this.
  2. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 20, 2017

Dennis reincarnate.

3. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 20, 2017

Thanks for the compliment, but I really didn't mean it negatively. I respect the speedy.
    It was only an observation that the forum seemed to be narrowing it's focus.

4. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jul 20, 2017

I tried. But I can't.

I bought other brands and several Seamaster watches as well. I still have a few JLC watches, my Seiko, and my Invicta. And a Hamilton. But truth be told, I plan to sell two of the JLCs, the Hamilton, and at least one of the Seamaster watches to buy a speedy.

One thing that I love about Omega, and what attracted me to the brand was the wide range they offer. However, I keep getting called by the awesomness of the Speedmaster.

I will add that I had no love for the Speedmaster Speediorite. Owned one, sold it after a month. Omega should have never used a Sapphire crystal on that watch. Had they used a hesalite crystal, that very well could have been the best ever LE speedmaster.

IMG_20170623_171145.jpg

5. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 20, 2017

Let me know about the JLC's.... I'm an Omega guy but I am trying to expand my scope!

gatorcpa, lando and Taddyangle like this.
  6. simon.pearl Jul 20, 2017

I love and lust after a couple of JLC models

Taddyangle likes this.
  7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 20, 2017

:whistling:

johncandy.jpg
    "AP anyone?"

8. alam Jul 20, 2017

@UncleBuck almost got it right, but missed an important detail on his OP. Allow me to help...

:p

IMG_1029.JPG
    Maybe, noelekal, Tet and 4 others like this.
  9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 20, 2017

It's kinda the big anniversary so we have more than usual speedy action.

10. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jul 20, 2017

Its driven by the price increases of the speedmasters.

Resale on used Omega watches seems like it is trending down. For example, the SM300 MC on the used market was a year/year an half was almost $4k. Now you can buy $3,500. Similar for GSOTM and many other modern Omegas. They seem to be ever so slightly declining in price. Vintage Seamasters seem to be increasing, but no were close to what the speedy is doing. Speedmasters (and a few others makes/brands) are simply out of control, at least on a percentage increase.

Everyone and their Mom is jumping on the speedy bandwagon. Much like the real estate market back in 2005/6/.

Maybe and simon.pearl like this.
  11. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 20, 2017

What's Augie Morosco's favorite watch?
    IMG_7184.JPG

12. R3D9 Jul 20, 2017

Can I interest you in a conversation about quartz watches??? A Casio, perhaps?

IMG_0049.JPG

13. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jul 20, 2017

For me, the dressier watches have a hard time competing for my money because, frankly, I do not dress up except for weddings and funerals, and i already have 2 vintage watches for those occasions. The tool watches are much more useful to me. Vintage Seamasters are great, but the newer ones do very little for me. I have a relatively new PO, but rarely wear it as it's a bit blingy and a bit too thick. And the Seamaster LEs are haven't caught my attention until the 60th Anniversary model. Also, when it comes to vintage Seamasters, they seem to pop up for sale a lot less often then vintage Speedmasters, so there are a lot less threads dissecting the for sale ads.

The Speedmasters are in the sweet spot for me. Not initially, but after I already had the PO -- until that point I figured I would focus on diving watches (I also have a Sinn UX). But I picked up a '67 Speedmaster and a TinTin, and really enjoyed wearing them due to the size and how they sit on my wrist. Plus the chrono is useful.

There are definitely other brands that catch my eye, but right now it's enough trying to learn all the Omega info, so I have avoided the world of Heuers, UGs, etc. Maybe at some point down the road, especially when there are more discretionary funds to play around with.

jimmyd13 and R3D9 like this.
  14. redpcar Jul 20, 2017

A shameless attempt for additional "likes" from the anti-speedy crowd ;)

Uniqez, Tik-Tok of Oz and R3D9 like this.
  15. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 20, 2017

16. Tik-Tok of Oz Jul 20, 2017

I could not agree more. I'm just starting and have kept a narrow focus. But in my case I dress up for work so the vintage Constellations and Geneves speak to me.

I love all things vintage. Even my wife is older than me. :D

(I'm so dead now...honestly, I can't overstate how much her research has helped me)

But, I've loved all things to do with space exploring and the Speedmaster fits that geeky niche and historical relevance all in one. Will I ever get a 321? Who knows. But in terms of horological significance one should own at least one Speedmaster.

No more than two...

Maybe three but I swear I can stop whenever I want... really.

But other brands and lines have great horological history that makes them worth owning... a Navitimer would be good. The Seiko is a very significant brand for its impact on the history of watches. A Rolex Black no date submariner isiconic as well.

However since I'm just learning being focused on only Omegas and more collectible Speedmasters is just prudent so you don't get burned.

mikechi22 likes this.
  17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 20, 2017

I'd talk about my 3313 POC but alas no one cares about them :(. All SMP all the time on the seamasters. Or ceramic this... ceramic that...

I had to buy a Speedy just to fit in!

Edited Jul 20, 2017
    Maybe and TLIGuy like this.
  18. TLIGuy Jul 21, 2017

As someone that will quickly look at most of the content here but actively seeks out the Speedmaster content I have been thinking the opposite in recent months.

While I see many Speedmaster posts asking about valuations or what do you think posts, which is fine, I think higher quality posts pertaining to the Speedmaster has dropped of considerably.

oddboy, Davidt, Mad Dog and 1 other person like this.
  19. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Jul 21, 2017

For the record...I believe that my posts pertaining to the Speedmaster are of the highest quality. :D

IMG_4212.JPG

Cad290, Longbow, Velorum and 26 others like this.
  20. TLIGuy Jul 21, 2017

There's quality and then there's Top Shelf Mad Dog quality. If I ran this place there would be a Mad Dog/Hooters sub forum.