Forums Latest Members
  1. dantaspaulo Sep 7, 2014

Quick question: is the Speedy reduced a (very) bad idea? I'm thinking of getting one for roughly USD 1200.

Main thoughts: it fits my small wrist and it is affordable.

Is this a stupid thought?

2. bvertz Sep 7, 2014

Some will tell you it's not collectible but I like mine very much for daily wear. Be sure that it runs well because the 3220 is known to be expensive to service. It's a great size and wears very comfortably.

dantaspaulo likes this.
  3. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 8, 2014

Good watch for daily wear. If you like the way it looks on you & the price is reasonable then go for it. You have to wear it, not us ;)

dantaspaulo and yande like this.
  4. yande Sep 8, 2014

I loved mine, though not as much after I bought the Pro.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 8, 2014

Its not a bad watch really just more expensive to maintain and fussy due to its piggyback chronograph, and perpetually living in the shadow of its famous sibling sort of like the Boxster.

dantaspaulo and Stewart H like this.
  6. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Sep 8, 2014

True, but I can't see too many hairdressers wearing a Speedy of any description.:)

dantaspaulo likes this.
  7. speedbird Sep 8, 2014

Speedy reduced is fine. Owned one for a long time

8. Mothra Sep 8, 2014

Dantaspaulo, I would like to share my opinion - feel free to ignore it, but... I was in the same position as you - wanted a speedy desperately, didn't want any manual watches, bought a reduced. To do so, I ignored advice from spikispikester who was trying gently to guide me towards a pro. Initially, that new watch lust was in place, and I've defended the reduced staunchly here and elsewhere - but from day one it just looked too small. I'm perfectly happy wearing 36mm vintage watches, but the 2mm difference between a reduced and a full size moonwatch is really significant. I knew it wasn't right. I knew the sub dial spacing was wrong. I carried on telling myself id made the right decision because I really wanted a speedy and it had to be automatic, but when I took it off it just didn't get back on the wrist - it was nearly six months between first and second rotation. I sold it recently to fund another watch, took a bath on the sale, almost immediately bought a proper speedy (from spikispikester, funnily enough) and its monopolising my non dress watch wrist time ever since.

as dsio suggests, buy the 911 first time...

dantaspaulo likes this.
  9. dantaspaulo Sep 8, 2014

I ended up getting it -- sold a Rolex 6694 and put in some cash; while nice, the Rolex was just too "well, great, you've got a Rolex" and I think the Speedy might make me fall for a SMP eventually (or not!). It's the first "modern" watch I've bought in a while, so let's see what happens. So far it's been on my wrist for a couple of hours and it does seem like it's going to get some serious everyday wrist time.

10. Mothra Sep 9, 2014

::shy:: In that case, pretend I never said anything... good luck!

11. mstoeger74 Sep 9, 2014

so did you buy a speedy reduced ? what did you pay and where did you buy it..... i am in the same position like you :)

12. dantaspaulo Sep 9, 2014

Mothra nah, thank you very much for the input! That's why I'd posted here in the first place :)

mstoeger74 I bought it in Brazil -- watches tend to be a bit overpriced here, so I ended up paying ~USD 1400, but with box, papers and a recent service.