Forums Latest Members
  1. Cosd Jun 14, 2017

having been on the forum a little while now, I have (obviously) grown to like the Speedy!!

Inevitable I suppose, every other post is around a Speedmaster. Wish I was on the forum before my first nice watch, but hey ho, I'm still a lucky man.

So finances don't allow for loads of watches, but I really like the older Speedies.

Having just read a post on a 69 speedy that is obviously far from original or anything you seasoned collectors would buy; would it be a catastrophic mistake for me to buy an older Speedy of this ilk?

Obviously price is a factor for me and I couldn't justify a collectors piece. But am I throwing money away?

Should I hold on and buy almost new when I can?
    It's obviously intended for wearing!!

Cos

2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 14, 2017

::popcorn::

3. abrod520 Jun 14, 2017

Personally, I would buy a correct Speedmaster of whichever year I could afford. More and more I think '90s tritium is the answer to a lot of these kinds of questions, and I know I would enjoy a 3590.50 much more down the line than a faked or franken'd pre-moon

Foo2rama, Mad Dog and Davidt like this.
  4. Cosd Jun 14, 2017

Just to be clear, I'm not saying I want to buy a watch that has been made to look like something it isn't. I'm referring to a watch which has service parts, possibly Over polished etc.

5. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jun 14, 2017

I'll presume you are talking about the Moonwatch style, as that seems to have become almost synonymous with "Speedy". As such, I'll decline to comment other than to tell you, if you are not already aware, that Omega have made a lot of different Speedmasters over the years and there are some handsome and (in my opinion) better looking and potentially less costly entries into the Speedmaster club. Of all the multifarious editions, my favourite would be ones with a racing dial (even a Mark II reissue). However, none of them attract me enough to shell out my hard-earned cash ;)

However, if you absolutely must have a Moonwatch, others here will steer you in the right direction. Just take your time and you'll get something that satisfies your craving.

Oh, and study the sales forum here to get a good idea of what both reputable dealers and private sellers are asking for various Speedmasters.

6. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jun 14, 2017

I would any day of the week choose an 80s or 90s Speedy in good condition rather than an overpolished 69 with service parts. I would also choose a new Speedy over an overpolished 69 with service parts. Rather an original not so rare watch that a rarer not so original.

7. tyrantlizardrex Jun 14, 2017

I think what you're asking is:

"Should I just buy whatever bundled together pile of bits I can fund, so that I have a vintage Speedmaster?"

To me, the answer to that would be no.

And I think the longer your spend in the hobby, you'll find that your answer is no too.

You'll at that point have something that might be very hard to move along.

So two options:

1 - save very hard for the vintage watch you want

2 - buy a more modern one, and make your own vintage.

Edited Jun 15, 2017
    SouthernScot and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  8. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jun 14, 2017

I have since sold off all my watches that had service parts. And those that had over polished cases.

I won't go down that road again.

9. Cosd Jun 14, 2017

Thanks for the advice.
    I think I get the picture with just a few opinions.

Seems it's worth waiting a little longer.

I will look at the 90's tritium and get an idea of the market and when I'm ready I'll make up my mind whether that or newer is the right option for me.

Thanks again for the advice.

SouthernScot and Taddyangle like this.
  10. wkimmd Jun 14, 2017

Absolutely - wait out and get something worth the money. There are some lovely early 90s tritium dials that have aged really nicely - so you get the best of all worlds. Vintage look, modern(ish) movement, good value for the money.

11. Nathan1967 Jun 14, 2017

I really like the concept of the second option particularly Chris, Make your own Vintage, that resonates. You buy a more modern watch, you have the memories and life changing experiences with it. May be a few bumps and bangs on the way, but you look after it well, you age with it and eventually you pass it on to the next generation, with all those Great War stories. I think that's harder to replicate with Vintage because you're more concerned with the caring for it, the pampering, the collection. I'm fortunate enough to have both of your options, option 2 was where I went first though. I love my Vintage watches but for more aesthetic reasons, rather than experiential reasons.

12. jimmyd13 Jun 14, 2017

Do that and you'll find yourself with an instant "new watch hit" but in no time at all, you'll find yourself fixating on all the flaws and hating the fact that you spent as much as you did on something that you always knew was wrong.

My first vintage watch purchase is still one of my favourite pieces. It cost me £100, is from 1938 but is in fantastic shape and (almost) all original. There's no other way to do it if you are genuinely serious about what sits on your wrist.

13. tyrantlizardrex Jun 14, 2017

I stole this concept from @STANDY ;)

14. Nathan1967 Jun 14, 2017

;) Nothing wrong with that

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  15. Cosd Jun 14, 2017

Can someone tell me the reference numbers for an early 90's watch please?

16. arcadelt Jun 14, 2017

ST 145.0022, serial numbers 4800xxxxx to 4831xxxxx in 1995.

Edited Jun 14, 2017
  17. Cosd Jun 14, 2017

Thank you

18. arcadelt Jun 14, 2017

Sorry, it can be a bit confusing, as some tables show 145.0022, but the reference was changed in 1989 to 3592.50, so search on that too.

Foo2rama likes this.
  19. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jun 14, 2017

3590 is the standard moonwatch of that era, 3592 had the display back.

20. arcadelt Jun 14, 2017

Sorry, got that from the Fratellowatches buying guide, which is obviously in error.

Foo2rama and Andy K like this.