Forums Latest Members

Speedy Pro model/year recommendation for the Speedy novice looking for a "daily driver"?

1. cvalue13 Aug 21, 2013

All,

I just can't seem to get my arms around the universe of Speedies. There are so many versions, and so many examples of various versions. Also, there seem to be enough non-experts (like myself) in the market for Speedies that very little ceiling/floor cost information is apparent at first glance.

I'm hoping the experts around here might help me narrow the relevant Speedy universe.

I would like to buy a "daily driver" Speedmaster pro, which is reliable, easily serviceable, and at a price point (and ubiquity) that I don't worry about minor dings, scratches, dips in the water, etc., for fear of terribly devaluing it (or abusing a rare specimen).

My understanding thus far is that, for the above-mentioned purposes, an 861 (and it's variants) are fairly bulletproof and more easily serviced.

So, to the Speedy experts that abound these pages, to the extent you can shake your collector's mentalities: what models would you recommend (or avoid), and what price would you hold out for (rather than jumping on the next buy-it-now available)?

Think of it as though you're about to buy your son his first respectable Speedy Pro, with which you would comfortably send him out into the wilds.

Cordially,
    Coleson

EDIT: Should I clarify that I'm not looking for a MARK II, etc.?

2. ulackfocus Aug 21, 2013

Look for a pre-owned standard model from the late 70's to the mid 90's. The regular moon watch didn't change much over that period and that time frame will be the cheapest.

cvalue13 likes this.
  3. Sherbie Aug 21, 2013

I think you have arrived at the answer all on your own: buy a cal 861 from the 70s and 80s, and wear it well

cvalue13 likes this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 21, 2013

I'd go for newer rather than older in that case, ideally something from the 90s or 2000s. Our resident Speedmaster dealer could probably hook you up just ask Kringkily

cvalue13 likes this.
  5. Hijak Aug 21, 2013

I recently purchased a Speedmaster Broad Arrow (1957 Re-issue) from George, AKA Kringkily, from the late 1990s. It was inexpensive, as Speedmasters go, and not a highly collectible model...if it got banged up Wouldn't be the end of the world.
    On the other hand it is a classy looking watch with a stainless steel bezel and the broad arrow hour hand that really looks great on the wrist. You could learn a bit just by looking through George's listings in the sales thread, this might help find the style your looking for.

cvalue13 likes this.
  6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 21, 2013

Well for me I would find an early 70's one, that still had the date stamped in the caseback.
    These have sold regularly over the last year for 1600-1900 USD. Then I would spend 400-600 on a proper service, not a local watch guy, a serious operation like Archer or STS. As a matter of fact I have one on now, cost 1720 and so far has not needed a service.
    poor photo, airport lounge/iPad.
    image.jpg

cvalue13 likes this.
  7. richardew Aug 21, 2013

I'd start off with a budget and be sure to include $600 for service. The watch is virtually the same from 1970 until present. The c861 drives the models until ~1997 when the c1861 took over. They are essentially the same movement and parts are readily available. The service is no different either. The earlier models made before 1968 are powered by the c321. These watches are rarer and sought after by collectors and hence, cost more. Service on these is no more complicated than the later ones and the parts that are routinely changed with a service readily available. There however may be issues with getting some other parts for the movement if something is broken. I regularly wear my c321 watches. They are all robust timepieces. I think the current price of a speedy pro is ~$4500 and with a bit of a discount can probably be purchased for ~$3500. The later model previously owned ones should be below $3000. Once you get into ones that are 5-10 or more years old, the prices are going to be lower. As spacefruit has pointed out, finding ones that are $2000 and lower is possible. You have to do due diligence though. We're all glad to look over any potential purchases and pick it apart. LOL

8. jwalther Aug 22, 2013

Sent you a pm.

9. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Aug 22, 2013

Just so you know, the Speedmaster is not meant to be dipped in the water AFIK. 50m WR is not recommended for immersion in H2O

10. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Aug 22, 2013

I decided to go with a 3572. I enjoy looking at the movement.

I wear mine periodically to work, but not much on the weekend or vacation because I worry about it getting wet (pool or beach) so I don't find it a very functional for a daily wear.