Forums Latest Members

Speedy Pro Accuracy - very impressed!

1. Maximus84 Jan 15, 2015

I finally acquired my new Speedy Sapphire Sandwich about 7 weeks ago now. Fresh out of the box, it was running around +4/5 secs a day. Pretty damn good, especially from a non-chronometer movement.

I then noticed a bit of debris through the Saphhire case back and sent it back under warranty. Apparently, a full service was undertaken (although they can't have done that much to a brand new watch!) and the debris was gone.

I've since been logging the accuracy with the Watch Tracker app and over 8.5 days, it's gained a total of 3.3 secs. An average rate of +0.4 secs a day! Staggering! That's with normal wear during the day, and resting dial up at night. I did try resting it crown up at night and it gained 6 secs in approx 8 hours so I won't be doing that again!

Loving the watch, admiring the movement, yet I can't help looking for what may be next! ;-)

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 15, 2015

Congrats on your new watch mate, post some pics!

Maximus84 likes this.
  3. harrymai86 Jan 15, 2015

Can you post the pics of resting position?

4. yinzerniner Jan 15, 2015

Great work, and that is indeed exemplary precision.

Maximus84 likes this.
  5. Maximus84 Jan 16, 2015

Thanks guys - I'll get a few pics up soon!

6. tarek1974 Jan 16, 2015

Sorry. I'm new. Is sapphire sandwich the speedy with the 9300 movement?

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 16, 2015

Its a Speedmaster Pro with sapphire front crystal and sapphire displayback as opposed to hesalite front and steel caseback.

Maximus84 likes this.
  8. Maximus84 Jan 16, 2015

^^ What disco said! There is a sapphire sandwich with the 9300 movement, but that was too big for me!
    Observe, some (very low quality) pics!
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Harry, there are a couple of pic of how I leave it resting overnight. It seems to run slightly slower in this position, which counteracts it running fast during the day, helping the overall accuracy.

9. lerxst Feb 1, 2015

Just found some debris in my 3 month old Speedmaster '57 that just appeared out of nowhere. A speck on the underside of the crystal, one on the dial (9 o'clock subdial) and a bigger grain of something on the left side of the balance wheel bridge. Guess I'll be sending it in next week... But god damn I love this watch

10. Maximus84 Feb 1, 2015

Hope you manage to get it sorted! It's annoying, and once you see it you can't not see it, but it should be rectified easy enough. Mine was sent for a full service to ensure there was no other debris in there.

As for the accuracy, it's settled on about 1.5-2 seconds a day. Still pretty damn good!

11. legends71 Feb 1, 2015

Great watch, incredible accuracy.
    So I assume that the service of Omega is top notch?
    No scratches after the service or what so ever?
    Reason I ask because i have very very very bad experience with Tag Heuer service.
    I have a grand Carerra and the movement stopped after 2,5 months.
    Send it for repair and got the watch all scratched returned.
    Then it was send again and returned even worse so the we send it again.
    After 3 months it was returned completely polished and didn't looked like the watch I bought.
    Then after 2 weeks the crown couldn't get screwed in and the watch was send again for the fourth time and I demanded that the Bazel get replaced, now the want to charge me money for replacing it.

I'm sorry for complaining here but I'm so incredible disappointed with Tag Heuer, I will never ever buy a Tag Heuer again and I advice ppl to follow up.

Edited Feb 1, 2015
  12. puddlep1rate Feb 1, 2015

Congrats on your new pickup!

13. chickenman26 Feb 1, 2015

It can happen, regardless of brand. I went through the same experience with 2 different Omega service centers. I think it's the luck of the draw - which SC gets the watch and who gets assigned to repair it. But generally speaking, it seems most folks have a very good experience with Omega service centers.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 1, 2015

Sorry to hear of your poor experience. The issue with the case tube and crown threads being stripped seems to be particularly bad with Tags for some reason. If you have that one fixed, be very careful with how you screw the crown down, or it will easily strip again.

Cheers, Al

15. Maximus84 Feb 2, 2015

Well, although it was meant to be a full service, it was a brand new watch, so no work needed on the movement (apart from removing the debris and checking it's all gone) or case. There was a slight indentation on one of the square holes on the back of the case back where they have got the case back off then back on again, which initially annoyed me but its so small it doesn't matter. The watch arrived back within 2 weeks, fixed and in an Omega red leather travel case.

16. bb58 Feb 4, 2015

@Maximus84 does your speedy have blue lume or is that just an artifact from the lighting?? I love the green on mine, but damn blue lume looks really cool

17. Maximus84 Feb 4, 2015

It's the normal green Lume I'm afraid. The camer (on my iPhone 5S) seems to make it look blue though!

18. OculusPrime Feb 8, 2015

I bought a Speedmaster 9300 and I found debris under the dial of a factory-fresh watch the boutique ordered me. You can see it in the picture I attached. It is the speck to the right, as the one to the left was just dust on the outside of the crystal. Before this incident, I swore by Omega and considered it leaps and bounds above Rolex. Afterwards, I still love Omega, but I no longer consider it to be that much more special from the other leader of mass-produced luxury Swiss watches. Maybe I'm being harsh, but the amount of cases of debris seen here in this thread indicate otherwise. [​IMG]

19. lerxst Feb 10, 2015

Sometimes you only hear about problems on forums, because people rarely post positive experiences. Well, I'm here to change that. As I stated earlier in this thread, some debris randomly appeared inside my Speedmaster '57 (9300). I sent it in for service and they got it back to me in just one week. They cleaned out all the debris, and even fixed a little, barely significant ding on the bezel, all free of charge. I had to use the southern California service center (I prefer Tourbillon in Seattle, but they told me they can't work on the 9300 caliber) and they totally took care of me. The watch came back absolutely 100% perfect.

Maximus84, Darlinboy and Hijak like this.