Forums Latest Members
  1. italycai Dec 8, 2016

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and just bought my first serious watch as a graduation gift to myself - a Speedy Pro 3570.50 circa 1998 with serial 4838xxxx. This is sort of a big moment for me as I have been eyeing this watch for as long as I remember. However, I have a burning question that I couldn't find an answer to despite searching for quite some time and hope you guys can help me out.

As you can see from the pics, it says Swiss Made at the bottom of the dial without the T indicating tritium. However, the seller claims that it has a tritium dial and I understand that 1998 was the time when Omega started switching over from Tritium to Luminova dials, this could be a transition dial without the T markings. I do notice slight yellowing of the indicators and hands but still unable to confirm if it is indeed Tritium. Would appreciate if anyone could shed some light on this thanks!

20161209_130037_resized.jpg 20161209_130050_resized.jpg 20161209_130154_resized.jpg
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 8, 2016

It is luminova.

To check for yourself. Charge it with a flashlight and it will glow for a few hours. It should stay very bright for at least a few minutes. Tritium dials have little effect when hit by a flashlight for more then 15-30 seconds even then its minor.

Tritium lume degrades over time as the glow is caused by radioactive decay and due to the half life of radioactive material degrades or "get used" up over time. Luminova glows after being charged by a light source, like glow in the dark toys.

Fine looking watch.

3. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 9, 2016

Looks like S-L to me too, it has that slightly green aspect which older tritium loses. I think most of the transition dial ones were 1996-97, straight after the 3570 intro. If the seller used it to justify a higher price then it is an issue, if not it is no big deal IMO.

4. Jaacck Dec 9, 2016

Cant help too much on the question that is a great looking speedy! Did you get box/papers/ full set?

5. italycai Dec 9, 2016

Ahh my worst fears are confirmed. Yes it does glow green for some time after I charge it up with light and the lume is pretty decent. But I got the watch with box, papers and matching bracelet for a decent price so it's not too big of a deal. But end of the day I'm still a fan of patina so maybe I'll sell this off and get another if the right one cones along. Thanks for the help guys!

6. italycai Dec 9, 2016

So is it safe to say that tritium dial will definitely come with the T markings even if it was produced during the transitional years?

7. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 9, 2016

Some 90s Omegas don't have the T's even with tritium, early Bond SMPs for instance with tritium have no Ts, and I think Pre-Bonds too. Can't speak for the Speedy but other tritium dial watches of the same transitional era and a little before had no T.

8. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Dec 9, 2016

Given that the "T" has a warning function, I assume it's use is not optional but mandatory. And the Swiss tend to be really fussy about following rulers..;)

Having said that a lot might happen to a watch in 20 years (dial swap, service,...)

9. omegasaso12 Dec 9, 2016

The latest serial with Tswiss madeT tritium dial that I have has serial 483729xx, so I think yours is already new luminova and it was born that way.
    20161209_122156.jpg

10. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 9, 2016

Yep that would be logical that but as I say, plenty of 80s and 90s Omega production left the factory minus the Ts. Try finding a picture of a pre-Bond with Ts on the dial. Or a Omegamatic. Both these had tritium dials. Looks like Speedies maybe did have the Ts though if the post above is any guide.