Forums Latest Members
  1. redzer007 Jun 10, 2016

Hi All

I have come across the attached below, looks to be early 70s to me. I would be interested to hear people opinions before investigating further. Does the case back match the watch? does bezel match the watch? hands dial etc etc. Over all I like the piece, but want to try and avoid some sort of franken.

Thanks

Redmond

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg
  2. watchlovr Jun 10, 2016

It looks like a 1970/71 145.022 with relumed indices and incorrect second sweep hand to me.
    Hard to say what it is without more information from you.

3. SpeedTar Jun 10, 2016

Straight Writing so same comments as watchlovr => incorrect second sweep hand + relumed indice.
    the bezel looks ok to me. You need to get the serial number of the 861 movement in order to check the year and avoid the franken possibility

4. redzer007 Jun 10, 2016

thanks for the comments guys - watch is 2hrs drive away, and Ill need to go to it if I want the case opened, ill think about it. thanks again

5. SpeedTar Jun 10, 2016

if you do so, take picture of the inside caseback too

6. ibis888 Jun 10, 2016

That's a 145.022-69 with a straight writing caseback. Probably made in 1971. If you look closely at the dial, you can see the step and the way that the 'S' on 'Speedmaster' doesn't come all the way down to the bottom of the 'p'. The plots are not necessarily relumed.. There was a batch of dials from this time frame with greenish yellow plot lume. The bezel is correct for the watch (DNN).

As others have noted, the chrono second hand appears to be a replacement but it has a nice tritium patina on it that's in character with the age of the watch so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

You'll need to make sure that the movement serial is correct.

It's a valuable watch.. Check out speedmaster101.com for a good pricing guide. Make sure you use values for the correct 'straight writing' caseback 145.022-69.

Edited Jun 10, 2016
    Spacefruit and SpeedTar like this.
  7. SpeedTar Jun 10, 2016

Totally agree with you that was my point :thumbsup:

8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 10, 2016

Pretty sure it's not relumed. I agree with @ibis888 assesment.

Just double check the inside case back is indeed the 69. It probably is, but you need to double check it is not a service replacement with the paint removed and given a polish.

The drop end Chrono is a little short, and I personally would change it for an aged, correct square end one. Pretty easy to do at the service it almost certainly requires.

http://speedmaster101.com/145-022-straight-writing/

9. redzer007 Jun 13, 2016

deposit paid - pick it up Sunday. Think the f300 (plus some other bits and pieces) cone has to go, as no budget for this but it was too good to say no to.
    thanks again for all the advice - helped me make the decision.

will post pics when I get it back home.

ibis888 likes this.
  10. watchlovr Jun 13, 2016

The modern replacement backs have a longer slot for the removal tool. Original vintage slot is smaller.

11. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 13, 2016

Indeed they do...I never noticed!

image.jpeg
    The replacement is on the right, and you can clearly see the longer case slots as pointed out by @watchlovr

I never stop learning

Dr No likes this.
  12. ibis888 Jun 13, 2016

Congrats, that's a desirable watch.

Show us the pictures!

13. redzer007 Jun 19, 2016

im very disappointed, everything was perfect until I opened it up.

inside was a lovely looking 861, but 45m serial number, so 80s I guess.

I still love the watch, but cannot rationalize buying it

14. Speedmasterfan88 Jun 19, 2016

You did right! 45 mil Is way to high for a straight writing! Just wait and relax, i'm sure you will find a nice correct one.

15. watchlovr Jun 19, 2016

Can you return it?

16. redzer007 Jun 19, 2016

to be clear I did not buy it, I had to drag myself away. Knowing what we know about the movement anyone think it still has value ?

17. redzer007 Jun 19, 2016

seller wants $2250 and I don't think he knew the movement was wrong

18. redzer007 Jun 20, 2016

Rational head is back on again today.

Having the cash in my pocket and knowing what I expected to see I was all set for leaving the meeting with a big grin on my face - unfortunately not to be.

I arrived and inspected the watch - and it was all as per photos - also had an Omega hesalite crystal and dial was in good condition under a loop.

I then told the seller I wanted to check the serial number to make sure it was correct for case - it being a 145.022 69, my research had told me I wanted to see something 29m to 32m on the movement.

Opened the case, removed the dust cap, put the magnifier to my eye and zoned in on serial number. was not easy to read but as much as I tried I could not get it to say anything other than 45m. I put the watch down, a decided on jump online on my phone to double check what I was looking for. And my fears were confirmed - 45m is circa 1982.

that being the case I cannot reconcile the case coming out of the factory with that movement.

I desperately tried to come up with reasons as to why I should buy it anyway - but I don't think I could ever be happy wearing the watch knowing the movement is wrong for the watch.

I don't feel the seller was misrepresenting the watch - he had no issue me opening it, I had told him why I wanted to open it and what I was expecting to see - on the proviso that if it was there and the watch movement was in good condition the deal was done.

My guess is that at some point in the past, at time of service that movement was replaced for whatever reason, probably the same time that the chrono hand was replaced.

Well the search goes on and thanks again for the info provided by all this thread and pointing me to excellent online resources.

Redmond

Speedmasterfan88 likes this.