Forums Latest Members

Speedy Moonwatch Meteorite LE or NOT?

1. rominvicta Oct 30, 2016

Hi to everyone in this great Omega watch-fan place.
    The new Speedy Moonwatch Meteorite - 311.63.44.51.99.001, as far as i read will not be a LE one.
    On the other hand I guess sourcing out dials from the Gibeon meteorite will not be possible in unlimited numbers.
    So what do you think or know is it going to be a scarce one with a limited run per year for example for a couple of years or Omega would be able to supply an unlimited number of the dial and consequently the watch itself?
    Anyone seen it alive? Would it be a piece worth waiting for?

2. pianomankd Oct 30, 2016

Ehhhh not really a fan of that one.

3. w.finkenstaedt Oct 30, 2016

Seen it in person. Pretty awesome, though I could have done without the gold.

Still would love to own it someday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exarkun12 likes this.
  4. pianomankd Oct 30, 2016

I think if it wasn't going on the Tachy and was the standard black/silver on that part, it'd be an absolutely gorgeous watch and I'd probably trade a couple in for it.

VillageIdiot likes this.
  5. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Oct 30, 2016

This kind is too far removed from the basic functional aesthetic of the Speedmaster that I - and lots of others - really like and respect. However, it's not as garish as some of the recent 'specials' so I can see why it would appeal to some. The main thing, I believe, is to buy it if you love it, not make the decision on the basis of scarcity and - I presume - a speculative focus on possible long term residual value.

6. guelerct Oct 30, 2016

I think classic GSOTM looks more refined. But I do like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 30, 2016

Gibeon meteorite is not rare. It's not a single stone. But rather large fragments strewn over a pretty large debris field.

8. rominvicta Oct 30, 2016

As far as i know it is difficult to obtain pieces that will match the criteria for fitting in as a dial. So these pieces i presume should be rare.

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 31, 2016

No not really over 26 tons have been collected of large pieces over 200lbs, with more every day as more people are out looking with metal detectors. Based on what samples sell for retail. I'm guessing with wasteage your looking at less then $50 in material costs. This does not include the cost of production.

10. rominvicta Oct 31, 2016

Wow, 26 tons...Omega should be able to snatch a couple of thousand pieces suitable for a dial. Pretty much clear now, it will never run out or be limited in production, unless Omega decides to do it.

11. meganfox17 Oct 31, 2016

Hi Guys [emoji137]
    Hi Mr @Jones in LA

I apologize for kindda like hijacking the thread but i just want to remind the OF readers that fake or replica Speedmaster Apollo Soyuz 35 Meteorite dials/ Speediorites are for real & be extra cautious if " An Unbelievable Tempting Deal " is offered by the seller on ebay

I have pasted 4 photos of the Widmanstatten pattern of Meteorites. either slices of the real Gibeon Rock or slices belonging to the much much cheaper low quality rust prone rock called the "Muonionalusta meteorite " China imports about 1 ton of muonionalista rocks per year to make jewellary & souveniers . The Replica Apollo Soyuz 35 Speedmasters are believed to have subdials made out of muonionalusta meteorites
    Which 2 are Gibeon & which 2 are Muonionalusta ?
    A[​IMG]
    B[​IMG]
    C[​IMG]
    D[​IMG]

12. meganfox17 Oct 31, 2016

The Answers are Not Important only to highlight that it's extremely difficult to tell which is the true Gibeon & which is muonionalusta rock

13. rominvicta Oct 31, 2016

Most likely the correct answer should be B and D, though it depends at lighting conditions while taking the photos. If i am wrong then i should never try and by anything unless from an OB or AD.
    I always wondered why do these people make so much efforts to produce fake pieces of Omega. They are not able to fetch some extraordinary money as PP will do and to sell with a plus of a thousand dollars some 10 pcs per year ... Isn't it a lot of efforts to manufacture a copy of a piece as close as possible to the original and to end up making some thousands of dollars per year? You may do many others things, by far more reputable and get at least the same.
    Of course this is my point of view, I am not aware how this industry is being organised and what would their cost be.

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 31, 2016

B and D are not Gibeon. Pretty obvious

meganfox17 likes this.
  15. meganfox17 Oct 31, 2016

Yes.You are Right Sir although I'm sure many experienced watch collectors would miss it

16. meganfox17 Oct 31, 2016

Congratulations Sir ! Here's your prize[emoji14][​IMG]It says from Sweden. Hmm.....
    now where have I heard that before[emoji6]

Jwit likes this.
  17. meganfox17 Oct 31, 2016

You get a prize too Sir[emoji14][​IMG]although i'm not sure whether you meant Gibeon or Non Gibeon[emoji3]

18. Teunan87 Oct 31, 2016

I've seen it in RL. The meteorite dial is very cool, but IMHO a bit to crowdy to function as a 'background' for a chronograph. It distracts just too much on the example I've seen, but it could differ from piece to piece since the structure is unique on every single piece.

19. Exarkun12 Oct 31, 2016

Absolutely agree, tried it on and the dial is amazing. If it didn't have the gold trimmings, I would have seriously considered it!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

rominvicta likes this.
  20. rominvicta Oct 31, 2016

Though, if Omega removes gold trimmings it will become GSotM with a meteorite dial.
    To me, personally, the current combination looks more like a jewellery piece rather than A SPEEDMASTER.

Exarkun12, jcmartinez98 and kkt like this.